Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

Give that rejections have been sent out to at least some Indiana applicants, would it be too bold to infer a position on the wait list?

Yes, too bold.  But it would not be too bold to take this as prima facie good news.  I'd wait a few days and double check all forms of communication (website, email, spam) in the meantime.  I don't think it's inappropriate to contact a department in the case that you know the department has sent both acceptances and rejections.  When you contact them, you say, "I have friends who have received both of these.  I've not received anything.  I wondered if I missed some attempt at communication."  Something to that effect.  That's what I'd do.  There are risks either way.  Contact them, annoy them.  Don't contact, miss something important.

Anyone out there have any idea round about when Purdue usually gets around to sending out initial notifications?

Ianfaircloud predicted Feb 21st. Looking at the previously reported data on TGC, I think that's right on the money. 

Im so sorry about the rejection from Northwestern. When did you recieve the notification?

Thanks. I actually didn't receive any notification, but I saw that other people had so I checked the website and the rejection was waiting. Even as rejections go, not a great one.

And per the discussion earlier, I'm not bashing MA programs. Mine had a lot of good faculty and I learned a lot and, most importantly, I got to practice more philosophy. So that's good. But I guess I had been led to believe that at a top MA program, and from a top undergrad institution with excellent grades all around, I didn't think I'd be looking at zero acceptances. But that's where I am now. So I'm not blaming my MA program, but instead I think it's smarter for me to blame myself and my sample.

Thanks. I actually didn't receive any notification, but I saw that other people had so I checked the website and the rejection was waiting. Even as rejections go, not a great one.

And per the discussion earlier, I'm not bashing MA programs. Mine had a lot of good faculty and I learned a lot and, most importantly, I got to practice more philosophy. So that's good. But I guess I had been led to believe that at a top MA program, and from a top undergrad institution with excellent grades all around, I didn't think I'd be looking at zero acceptances. But that's where I am now. So I'm not blaming my MA program, but instead I think it's smarter for me to blame myself and my sample.

Did you apply pretty broadly?

The Yale wait-list is legit.  I spoke with someone today who was wait-listed.  They went out sometime this evening.  Slightly personal emails.

Who are all of these people that you know applying to PhD programs?!  ^_^ Are they messaging you from these forums, or people you know IRL?

I was wait listed at Yale! Wow. Wow. Wow. Speechless. Very kind email from Shelly Kagan. Wasn't too personal (e.g., he didn't reference any specifics about my application in particular), but it was fairly lengthy and very thoughtful. Hope I get off the wait list!

Edited by DHumeDominates

I was wait listed at Yale! Wow. Wow. Wow. Speechless. Very kind email from Shelly Kagan. Wasn't too personal (e.g., he didn't reference any specifics about my application in particular), but it was fairly lengthy and very thoughtful. Hope I get off the wait list!

Congrats!! You've been wait listed at both Yale and Arizona; I am, as the kids say, 'jelly'. 

If you don't mind me asking, what was your writing sample on? 

Yeah!! First philosophy acceptance. MA at Miami University in OH. Wait-listed for funding, though. I've also received an offer (but with funding, thankfully), from a religious studies MA program. 

I finally feel I can breathe a bit easier, now that there are at least some options on the table. 

(And with all the chatter about MA's on here lately, I feel compelled to defend myself and say that I don't possess an undergrad degree in philosophy, so having the MA as a stepping stone is pretty necessary for me.) 

Wow that's so awesome! Congratulations.

Congrats!! You've been wait listed at both Yale and Arizona; I am, as the kids say, 'jelly'. 

If you don't mind me asking, what was your writing sample on? 

Thanks! I sincerely hope things work out for you!

I'm keen on anonymity (notwithstanding my profile name ;)), so I don't want to go into detail about my writing sample. Sorry! I'm no fun, I know ...

Who are all of these people that you know applying to PhD programs?!  ^_^ Are they messaging you from these forums, or people you know IRL?

These are people who I know personally.  These aren't through the Internet.

Thanks! I sincerely hope things work out for you!

I'm keen on anonymity (notwithstanding my profile name ;)), so I don't want to go into detail about my writing sample. Sorry! I'm no fun, I know ...

No worries! I understand, of course. In fact, maybe I should be more concerned about anonymity! Ah well. 

I'm in the same boat as AquinasDuo. Did people decide the rejection from Yale was not legit? That post gave me a second of hope, but I'm guessing if Yale has been sending out acceptances and wait list notifications, then those of us who haven't heard back yet are just not getting in... On a happier note, I applied to ND and haven't yet received a rejection, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Major congratulations to people who were accepted or wait listed at Yale!

A question from a prospective applicant:

Are waitlists exclusively a matter of funding availability? If so, in case you are waitlisted and have secured external funding, should you let admission folks know about that or that will not make any difference?