Acceptance Thread

bar_scene_gambler

USF people,

Are you considering turning them down? I'm currently 4th on the waitlist for funding.

Also, Congrats!

I was waitlisted for funding as well at USF, but I will be declining soon. From what I was told from the department, they usually are able to fund up to the 6th person on the waitlist. I hope funding works out in your favor!

I'd like to know, three! (I promise I'm not in third grade. :))

Also, the Michigan philosophy department's website says that those admitted and wait listed will be notified by March 15th. However, I assume this is false. The date is probably either March 14th (this Friday) or March 17th or 18th. I include the 18th because I think admissions committees often like to give themselves one last Monday to review things.

It's weird, they told me the 15th when I emailed them back in February.  At first I thought that was really bizarre, but given how active weekends seem to be (unfortunately), that made sense to me.  But then again, I'm a bit baffled by how things have gone where Michigan is concerned.

But you, DHume, also have a number of wonderful choices! :)

Yeah, but you get to live in Philly, which may well be the best city on the east coast (it's as fun as New York and as cheap as Baltimore).

P.S. I'm a native Bostonian.

P.P.S. When you visit, if you eat meat, go to Koch's Deli on 43rd and Locust. It's seriously better than the famous New York delis (2nd Avenue, Carnegie, etc)

Edited by perpetualapplicant

Yeah, but you get to live in Philly, which may well be the best city on the east coast (it's as fun as New York and as cheap as Baltimore).

P.S. I'm a native Bostonian.

P.P.S. When you visit, if you eat meat, go to Koch's Deli on 43rd and Locust. It's seriously better than the famous New York delis (2nd Avenue, Carnegie, etc)

Thanks for the tip! I'm honestly very depressed about leaving my native Chicago. If UCSD or UCLA had accepted me, maybe I'd be ok...lol.

Thanks for the tip! I'm honestly very depressed about leaving my native Chicago. If UCSD or UCLA had accepted me, maybe I'd be ok...lol.

I've only been Chicago once, but from what I understand it and Philly are actually really similar in a lot of ways ('blue collar' reputation and sports fanaticism come to mind). You should probably learn to like Yuengling though (I don't know if it's still the case, but it used to be that you could go to a bar in Philly, ask for a 'lager' and they would know to give you a Yuengling).

I think it is fair to say that Chicago is one of the best cities on Earth. It has fantastic museums, symphony, theater, food, and drink. And it is way cheaper, cleaner, and prettier (yes, with trees and a huge lakefront) than NYC.

Also, I have a good friend at Riverside, and she is very happly there. So yay for you!

I think it is fair to say that Chicago is one of the best cities on Earth. It has fantastic museums, symphony, theater, food, and drink. And it is way cheaper, cleaner, and prettier (yes, with trees and a huge lakefront) than NYC.

Also, I have a good friend at Riverside, and she is very happly there. So yay for you!

Thanks--I just got back from visiting and had a blast! (And I probably met your friend--I met almost everyone). I'm actually pondering whether or not I should withdraw one or both of my apps to UConn and CUNY.

Philly is kind of dirty, but somehow, that's part of its charm. The food is fantastic and the museums are great, though I can't speak to the symphony.

Edited by perpetualapplicant

It's weird, they told me the 15th when I emailed them back in February.  At first I thought that was really bizarre, but given how active weekends seem to be (unfortunately), that made sense to me.  But then again, I'm a bit baffled by how things have gone where Michigan is concerned.

Huh. That's odd. But you're right that weekends, mainly Saturdays, have been quite active this year.

And congrats on the Penn acceptance! I know a couple people in the department.

Thanks--I just got back from visiting and had a blast! (And I probably met your friend--I met almost everyone). I'm actually pondering whether or not I should withdraw one or both of my apps to UConn and CUNY.

Philly is kind of dirty, but somehow, that's part of its charm. The food is fantastic and the museums are great, though I can't speak to the symphony.

Kind of dirty is an understatement.

Edited by bar_scene_gambler

Not sure if this has already been said, but for those still waiting to hear from UMass, I found the following on their website today: "We are still evaluating applications for our PhD program. But if you have not heard from us by Friday, March15, then your application is no longer under consideration."

Not sure if this has already been said, but for those still waiting to hear from UMass, I found the following on their website today: "We are still evaluating applications for our PhD program. But if you have not heard from us by Friday, March15, then your application is no longer under consideration."

That's sort of a bizarre method, no?

Just discovered that the Philosophy & Religion track at USF has lost its funding. This was not the case when I applied. I'm more than a little disappointed.

Just discovered that the Philosophy & Religion track at USF has lost its funding. This was not the case when I applied. I'm more than a little disappointed.

That's a real shame. Sorry to hear that.

I was waitlisted for funding as well at USF, but I will be declining soon. From what I was told from the department, they usually are able to fund up to the 6th person on the waitlist. I hope funding works out in your favor!

Thanks! I hope so too. 

Are you choosing St. Louis instead of USF? The programs seem pretty comparable.

Thanks! I hope so too. 

Are you choosing St. Louis instead of USF? The programs seem pretty comparable.

I think SLU has slightly better placement than USF, and SLU also offers more courses in medical ethics, which is my main concern. Not to mention, SLU's stipend is larger and guaranteed for 5 years. However, i would likely choose Bowling Green or Michigan state over SLU given their strengths in applied ethics, but I am still waiting to hear from MSU and am on a waitlist for funding from BGSU. I am visiting SLU next week, so I'll see how I like their department and city. 

I think SLU has slightly better placement than USF, and SLU also offers more courses in medical ethics, which is my main concern. Not to mention, SLU's stipend is larger and guaranteed for 5 years. However, i would likely choose Bowling Green or Michigan state over SLU given their strengths in applied ethics, but I am still waiting to hear from MSU and am on a waitlist for funding from BGSU. I am visiting SLU next week, so I'll see how I like their department and city. 

If you are interested in Medical ethics and choose to attend SLU, you might check to see if Ronald Munson is teaching any courses across town at the U of Missouri-St. Louis.  He is a professor emeritus.  So, I'm not sure if he is teaching courses anymore, but he is, I think, a leading contributor to the medical ethics literature.  And even if he is no longer teaching, he might be willing to provide you with some assitance.

If you are interested in Medical ethics and choose to attend SLU, you might check to see if Ronald Munson is teaching any courses across town at the U of Missouri-St. Louis.  He is a professor emeritus.  So, I'm not sure if he is teaching courses anymore, but he is, I think, a leading contributor to the medical ethics literature.  And even if he is no longer teaching, he might be willing to provide you with some assitance.

Thanks, I'll be sure to look into him if I end up in St. Louis. 

Has any applicant to The New School around here checked their newschool.edu account? A lot of posters in the result section are finding an accepted student tab upon logging into that account, although their admission hub pages remain unchanged.