Anyone preparing for the Fall 2015 Cycle?

Hi there! Are any of you getting a jump start on the Fall 2015 application cycle (due in less than 11 months!)? I'm working on my application materials, researching schools, and planning to apply to a number of Mass Comm PhD programs in December 2014.

I have a good support system of friends and family but they're so far removed from academia that it's difficult to have honest discussions about program and application issues. I'm new to these forums and they've already been a big help, but I'd love to have a discussion buddy with similar interests/plans.

Any of you out there with the same issues? I'd love to speak with you!

• 4 weeks later...

I am! I will be graduating spring 2015! 

I do have a good support system of friends and family as well, but they are from a different country. So my sister and I usually figure the application process out by our self. 

Are you a communcation undergrad?

It looks like I will probably need to reapply during the next cycle due to poor luck this time around.  I'll be expanding my focus to include a few media studies programs, especially NYU, Stonybrook and Rutgers.  I'll have an MA in media studies by then.

Since this will be my 4th time applying for grad programs (MFA, MA and then PhD) I have had enough experience to answer as many questions as I can.  Feel free to PM me. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm applying, too, for Fall 2015! I'm preparing a personal statement as we speak, taking the GRE over the summer, and I've already selected sixteen schools I want to apply to in hopes of a least one acceptance into a Brit Lit Ph.D. program. So you're definitely not going through this alone. 

• 1 month later...

All,

Thanks for replying! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one gearing up for the next cycle. Good luck to everyone and if anyone wants to respond here or PM me, I'd be happy to share in the ups and downs of this process. Thanks again!

Les

I'm applying for Fall 2015 too! I will be graduating from Master's program in the summer 2015.

I am looking for a Ph.D. in Communication but am afraid I might be too young, thus not having enough professional experience. Plus, I am from Europe and not sure if it is more difficult to be admitted being an international student.

TeaOverCoffe and lesleyautumn - we should do this together!

NowayNohow, what would you say are the most important issues to focus on in order to have a competitive application? Specially being a young applicant...
Is it enough to study for the GRE using the material available online?

Thanks and good luck to all!

NowayNohow, what would you say are the most important issues to focus on in order to have a competitive application? Specially being a young applicant...

Is it enough to study for the GRE using the material available online?

Thanks and good luck to all!

I struck out this round due to having a bad proposal -- bad meaning it wasn't a sexy topic, and I had no hands-on experience in the geographic area of study I was proposing to work in.  It was a huge mess, and I've learned my lesson. This time around, I'm going to propose what I know and work toward extending my MA research.  I think a proven record of success in the specific niche you want to work in is crucial.  I also have a 'sexy' topic this time, and that can't hurt.  The SOP is the most important document in your application.

Apply for the Ford/Fulbright/NSFGRFP if you can.  I have heard having one of these is a big deal.

I also believe, after seeing the process in my department this year, that after they get down to the top 50 or top 20, it becomes a question of semantics and comes down to chance.  All the students after a certain point are fantastic, so there's little you can really do.  Professor B might be owed a favor from Professors C and D, so they throw their weight behind a student Professor B really wants.  Then again, Professor D might hate Professor B, so D votes against any students B suggests. Professor C might have a cold and miss the crucial meeting where the voting even happens, so Professor C's choices don't get the attention they deserve. Some faculty in the department might be eying grants coming from a certain area, so they push for students who they feel can add weight to that push...etc. etc. If you can, try and find out who the committee is and see how you can tailor your statement to catch their interests. This is even more true for the DGS. This information is oftentimes on the department site if you look hard enough.

Another thing is to try and have 3 of the 4 big things for promising grad students in a time of ever-increasing professionalization: teaching, scholarly presentations (at a professional level), peer-reviewed publications and research experience.  If you can knock out 3/4, then you're pretty much in a good place.

I struck out this round due to having a bad proposal -- bad meaning it wasn't a sexy topic, and I had no hands-on experience in the geographic area of study I was proposing to work in.  It was a huge mess, and I've learned my lesson. This time around, I'm going to propose what I know and work toward extending my MA research.  I think a proven record of success in the specific niche you want to work in is crucial.  I also have a 'sexy' topic this time, and that can't hurt.  The SOP is the most important document in your application.

Apply for the Ford/Fulbright/NSFGRFP if you can.  I have heard having one of these is a big deal.

I also believe, after seeing the process in my department this year, that after they get down to the top 50 or top 20, it becomes a question of semantics and comes down to chance.  All the students after a certain point are fantastic, so there's little you can really do.  Professor B might be owed a favor from Professors C and D, so they throw their weight behind a student Professor B really wants.  Then again, Professor D might hate Professor B, so D votes against any students B suggests. Professor C might have a cold and miss the crucial meeting where the voting even happens, so Professor C's choices don't get the attention they deserve. Some faculty in the department might be eying grants coming from a certain area, so they push for students who they feel can add weight to that push...etc. etc. If you can, try and find out who the committee is and see how you can tailor your statement to catch their interests. This is even more true for the DGS. This information is oftentimes on the department site if you look hard enough.

Another thing is to try and have 3 of the 4 big things for promising grad students in a time of ever-increasing professionalization: teaching, scholarly presentations (at a professional level), peer-reviewed publications and research experience.  If you can knock out 3/4, then you're pretty much in a good place.

Thank you so much for your answer!! I think that kind of random selection is kind of scary though... It means it's literally not on our hands. 

What about gpa and GRE scores? I don't even know how I am going to study for GRE without having any classes, I keep reading people talking about how hard it is and things like the following: "GREs are not something you can do a brief crash course on, so a full class over a term would be your best bet."

By the way, do you have any relevant information about the PhD program at USC Annenberg? 

I can't thank you enough!

Thank you so much for your answer!! I think that kind of random selection is kind of scary though... It means it's literally not on our hands. 

What about gpa and GRE scores? I don't even know how I am going to study for GRE without having any classes, I keep reading people talking about how hard it is and things like the following: "GREs are not something you can do a brief crash course on, so a full class over a term would be your best bet."

By the way, do you have any relevant information about the PhD program at USC Annenberg? 

I think you are expected to have a high GPA and that's pretty much a given.  If you already have an MA, I don't think your UG GPA counts as much, but then you're expected to have an even better MA GPA.

I hate the GRE and I have a v. respectable verbal score, but an abysmal quant score.  I'm not sure if I'm going to retake, as I have heard it is not a big deal with many schools and if you come to over 300/1200 it's supposedly fine.  This is a very personal choice and it is a big risk, but I feel my other qualifications speak more for my accomplishments than a test score.

I don't know anything about USC, sorry!

Me! I am gunning for Fall, 2015.

My prime goal is MIT Media Lab, Civic group.

I badly need suggestions.

What should I do to increase my chance.

My background

BSc in Computer Science (has 3 years of R&D experience at a global brand)

Masters in Public Administration [continuing]

Portfolo:

Built a crowdmap regarding human rights abuses.

Founder+ developer of a youth blog.

Tomgold, welcome! I'm preparing for the GRE right now and there are a few online, self-paced programs that may help you (I'm using Magoosh). I'd suggest checking out the GRE/GMAT/etc. forum on GradCafe for more specifics on the GRE.

I am applying for USC's PhD program, as well. What information did you need?

Me! I am gunning for Fall, 2015.

My prime goal is MIT Media Lab, Civic group.

I badly need suggestions.

What should I do to increase my chance.

My background

BSc in Computer Science (has 3 years of R&D experience at a global brand)

Masters in Public Administration [continuing]

Portfolo:

Built a crowdmap regarding human rights abuses.

Founder+ developer of a youth blog.

Policyman, welcome! Unfortunately, I don't have any information on MIT but it sounds to me that your qualifications are pretty good. Hopefully someone else on GradCafe will be able to help with information about MIT. 

• 2 months later...

Good luck to all of you preparing for Fall 2015.

I spent a lot of time and money preparing for the GRE two years ago.  I found GRE for Dummies ended up being the most helpful out of all the resources I used - I could have saved quite a bit of money.  I also found that having someone to practice with and verbally discuss the vocabulary helped immensely.

Hopefully one or more of you will end up in my program at the University of Oklahoma.  Feel free to ask me anything about the program if it catches your interest.