Best grad programs for late 19th-early 20th c. art?

cafeamericanooo

I am a junior at the University of Washington and researching graduate programs to apply to in the fall of 2014.  Every program looks great online, but what programs or professors are best for a focus in late 19th-early 20th (primarily French and Dutch) art?

Hello,

Your question is a bit broad, so I am going to respond with some questions hopefully that can guide you.  Are you looking for an MA or PHD program? To answer that question, you need to first ask if the career you desire requires the more advanced one and if you are prepared to be a strong PHD candidate. Sometimes you may need to the PHD, but you might not be a strong PHD candidate.  In this case, it is recommended that you apply for a strong MA program.  Typically strong applicants for terminal PHDs have already a research interest and their two foreign languages down. You will want a top overall gpa (at least a 3.5 overall and a 3.75 in art history courses), a solid gre score, and really solid recommendations.  A solid academic employment record (being a teaching or research assistant) will be helpful in deciding the right career path.  You will also be applying to programs with professors who are conducting research in your area.  Hence, what I am saying is it is rather ambiguous to find the "best programs" for your area.  What may be a strong program for one person (research and structure wise) may not be a strong program for another.  I advise that based on your senior thesis or other advanced research work (which I hope you have already been pursing) find profs who really parallel that kind of work.  Generally this kind of process can take 203 years, so often times students take gap years.  You need to be be contacting these professors ASAP and decide if they are solid matches for you.  You will never get into a program that isn't pursuing your area of research.  

Edited by theartman1193