Same Day Interviews for Top Choices!

iphi

Disclaimer: this question is a bit premature - I have only received one invitation for an interview so far - but I am both a worrier and someone who likes to be prepared!

My 'top 3' schools have interviews February 7, February 7, and February 8. They are all several states removed from each other. It is possible that I could make one of the Feb 7 dates and be late (miss half a day) of the Feb 8 school. This would be both hectic and expensive, and I am worried that sleep deprivation might cause me to do poorly.

The interview invitation that I have already received (Feb 7) is for a school which has a group interview format. I assume this is the reason why it specifically states on their website that failure to attend the official interview date will decrease chances of admission. When I asked the coordinator how many people were invited she said 20-25 were invited, and they will offer admission 7-8 of us. So it is not an admitted student weekend, I still have to show up and impress them in order to be offered a spot.

The other two schools I might actually be slightly more interested in (but just barely). If I was offered interviews/admission to all of them I would definitely want to visit them all before I made a decision. I know that people frequently ask about same-day interviews and the answer is usually "go with your top choice" or "go to the one you have a less likely chance of being accepted to" but I honestly think these schools are equal in all those categories!

TL;DR: Received an interview invite for 2/7. Waiting to hear from other top 2 schools who have interview dates 2/7 & 2/8. What should I do if one of them emails me tomorrow asking me to interview?

Edited by iphi

A) it might not happen so you're needlessly worrying.

B ) The truth is always a good place to start. If a second school asks for the 7th tell them you have comitted to another interview that day, ask if they can they schedule you for another day.

C) The 7th/8th shouldn't be a big deal. I did it, albeit it without flight, but roughly the same travel time you'd have in a short flight. You just need yourself, clothes, and some essentials. Don't book the last flight that route for a particular airline. Leave early. Go direct to hotel to check in and prep. You should be fine. School A lets you at what? 5pm at worst? Probably much earlier. Catch flight, hit hotel, sleep until like 8am, get up and go, yadda yadda.

everything Loric said. accept the 7th interview. try not to worry. if it becomes an issue, tell them the truth and ask if you can make alternate accomodations. if not, see if you can skype in. if not, try to make the 8th. do whatever you can, but commit first to the school that's committing to you by getting in contact with you early.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I ended up with this schedule:

6th: 1 interview in MA

7th: 3 interviews: CO, IA, IN

8th: 1 Admitted Student Day NC

IA said I could reschedule any time, CO said no way they would reschedule me, and MA I am still waiting to hear back from. And NC said if I came that day (and only that day!) they would pay for everything, so... :(

Edited by iphi

Yeah, I ended up with this schedule:

6th: 1 interview in MA

7th: 3 interviews: CO, IA, IN

8th: 1 Admitted Student Day NC

IA said I could reschedule any time, CO said no way they would reschedule me, and MA I am still waiting to hear back from. And NC said if I came that day (and only that day!) they would pay for everything, so... :(

Good luck with that