Pratt Institute accreditation?

arraytherocks

Hey folks,

Does anyone have any info or thoughts about Pratt Institute being downgraded to Conditional Accreditation by the ALA? I just applied for this fall so I've been all over their website (and the ALA website, etc...) but this is the first I've seen of it. Anybody hear anything about why this is going on?

Thanks in advance :)

Hey folks,

Does anyone have any info or thoughts about Pratt Institute being downgraded to Conditional Accreditation by the ALA? I just applied for this fall so I've been all over their website (and the ALA website, etc...) but this is the first I've seen of it. Anybody hear anything about why this is going on?

Thanks in advance :)

Hey sorry I don't have any info about your question.  But, as I am in NY too, I thought I'd ask you why you decided on Pratt?  I am debating between Pratt and CUNY.  CUNY is much less expensive and I really don't want to take out such serious loans for the Pratt MLIS.   Did you consider CUNY?

Hey sorry I don't have any info about your question.  But, as I am in NY too, I thought I'd ask you why you decided on Pratt?  I am debating between Pratt and CUNY.  CUNY is much less expensive and I really don't want to take out such serious loans for the Pratt MLIS.   Did you consider CUNY?

I did consider CUNY, and was actually accepted there for the MLS program a couple of years ago. To be honest, I decided against going there for two main reasons -- first, the program seemed disorganized and outdated; and second, their archives course offerings didn't seem very strong. Since I have a specific idea of what I want to do, it seems to me that it makes the most sense to find a program that can provide stronger, more specialized training -- which pretty much left me with Pratt or LIU, and Pratt was ultimately more convenient.

In terms of cost, I'm fortunate in that my employer will reimburse me for the cost of the degree. But even with the reimbursement, it's still a serious financial commitment. Believe me, I wish CUNY was a better program for my needs. :/

I did consider CUNY, and was actually accepted there for the MLS program a couple of years ago. To be honest, I decided against going there for two main reasons -- first, the program seemed disorganized and outdated; and second, their archives course offerings didn't seem very strong. Since I have a specific idea of what I want to do, it seems to me that it makes the most sense to find a program that can provide stronger, more specialized training -- which pretty much left me with Pratt or LIU, and Pratt was ultimately more convenient.

In terms of cost, I'm fortunate in that my employer will reimburse me for the cost of the degree. But even with the reimbursement, it's still a serious financial commitment. Believe me, I wish CUNY was a better program for my needs. :/

I want to attend Pratt or St. John's but don't think I can swing the cost.  I've taken out so many loans for my previous grad degree.  And I just fear taking out that much more.  Pratt and St. John's are literally three times the cost.  Did you think all of CUNY's courses were outdated?  I checked the courses out online and it seems like many of them are similar to the courses at Pratt and St. John's (i.e. the core courses).  As far as the electives go, unfortunately, CUNY only offers one course in the concentration I am interested in.  I wish CUNY was a better program too.  The cost of just two classes at Pratt is about half the cost of the entire program at CUNY. 

I hope the program at CUNY isn't totally outdated though.  I don't realistically have another option b/c of tuition.  Did you consider St. John's?  It's the same cost as Pratt pretty much.  I'm just curious.  Also, do you know anyone who attended CUNY?  What did they say about the program?