Fellow Anthropology 2014 applicants- thoughts please.....

Daisy123

Hello everyone! I have a question for everyone in this waiting game for anthropology: I am a PhD applicant with interest in archaeology. I applied to UCLA (cotsen) , Stony Brook, Boston, Pittsburgh, Arizona University, stanford (not going to happen), and chicago (also not going to happen-, i will sacrifice my little finger if that works out)

My worry are my GRE scores, or more so my quantitative score that was abysmal ;( - my first GRE it was the same situation reversed. I sent in both scores. my GPA is alright, 3.56 and 3.58 (BA, MA).

During the last week of December i got an informal email from Stony Brook that invited me to visit the campus before admission decisions are made, and that they will cover some of the travel expenses. I went, and it was very different than i imagined. They asked questions like " So , will you have trouble finding excavations by yourself", "do you have anyone to stay with in Turkey", "do you need help in this and that are" ....questions like that....no one really asked me about what i actually want to do..they were very specific questions like that. I met with 3 faculty members and i was introduced to a bunch of graduate students. 
Does anyone know anything about this university? Is this a good sign? I cant even tell if it was an interview or what, but i DO know that the committee has not formally met yet, so that cant be a good sign....I dont know what to think since i have NEVER heard of an invitation like this. 

Any input will we greatly appreciated. I just dont think i can get in anywhere because of my GRE..... I have lost all hope already

Don't get so bogged down by the GRE. You are applying to some majorly good schools, so it will matter to them (i think Arizona says on their website dont bother applying unless you're in the 90th percentile for verbal or something like that). Otherwise, it's really a bigger look than just GRE. those scores generally are used for a basic cut-off (even this is highly variable), and university funding. Much more important is your research goal. That's why they're asking you questions about your situation around your research. But you know that, you've already done the MA. I attended SUNY Albany for a bit and some people were from stoney brook and enjoyed it. I don't know what you study, but their only complaint was that the campus was ugly. Can't win 'em all. 

No need to worry at this point. If you don't get in to your expectations (funding) this year, then adjust next year. Seriously study for the GRE, it can only help you to get a good score or better funding next round. 

Best of luck! New York is cold, but at least that's not upstate!

I'm also interested in Archaeology and I also applied the the PhD program at Pitt. Maybe if all goes well we'll be colleagues!

I can't really tell you anything about your Stony Brook interview. It seems sort of odd. Maybe they're just trying to figure out how much you'll need from them if they accept you? It's odd that they didn't really ask anything about your research interests, although maybe they got everything they needed from you Statement of Purpose?

I'm also very worried about my GRE. What were your scores? Mine were okay, although my quantitative was abysmal. I'm hoping my decent verbal score will make up for that. I can already tell you your GPA is better than mine. 

Don't get so bogged down by the GRE. You are applying to some majorly good schools, so it will matter to them (i think Arizona says on their website dont bother applying unless you're in the 90th percentile for verbal or something like that). Otherwise, it's really a bigger look than just GRE. those scores generally are used for a basic cut-off (even this is highly variable), and university funding. Much more important is your research goal. That's why they're asking you questions about your situation around your research. But you know that, you've already done the MA. I attended SUNY Albany for a bit and some people were from stoney brook and enjoyed it. I don't know what you study, but their only complaint was that the campus was ugly. Can't win 'em all. 

No need to worry at this point. If you don't get in to your expectations (funding) this year, then adjust next year. Seriously study for the GRE, it can only help you to get a good score or better funding next round. 

Best of luck! New York is cold, but at least that's not upstate!

Thank you for your answer....i hope that is the case- arizona it does say that the average is the 90% percentile...but we were a really good fit so iam hoping they will go with my 78% :) . HAHAHHA the campus was HUGE, it was surrounded by a forest. it looked exactly like Bilkent university where i did my MA. 

I'm also interested in Archaeology and I also applied the the PhD program at Pitt. Maybe if all goes well we'll be colleagues!

I can't really tell you anything about your Stony Brook interview. It seems sort of odd. Maybe they're just trying to figure out how much you'll need from them if they accept you? It's odd that they didn't really ask anything about your research interests, although maybe they got everything they needed from you Statement of Purpose?

I'm also very worried about my GRE. What were your scores? Mine were okay, although my quantitative was abysmal. I'm hoping my decent verbal score will make up for that. I can already tell you your GPA is better than mine. 

:) here is hoping we will be colleagues :) My GRE's are honestly idiotic. 1st GRE score: Q:610 V:490 and then 2nd: Q: 148 V: 158...if i could just have the Q from the first one and the V from the second one, it would be so much better . .....what about you. I am greatly concerned about my 'interview " too...dont worry. I did speak to the director at that program, and he did tell me that THE MOSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT important part of the wholeee application was the fit and showing that you understand the department and their goals. They apparently will only accept those they can fund 

:) here is hoping we will be colleagues :) My GRE's are honestly idiotic. 1st GRE score: Q:610 V:490 and then 2nd: Q: 148 V: 158...if i could just have the Q from the first one and the V from the second one, it would be so much better . .....what about you. I am greatly concerned about my 'interview " too...dont worry. I did speak to the director at that program, and he did tell me that THE MOSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT important part of the wholeee application was the fit and showing that you understand the department and their goals. They apparently will only accept those they can fund 

V 162, Q 142 (so you beat me there!) and my writing was 4.5. I'm nervous because the Pitt website says they usually accept students with a combined 310 for V and Q and a 5 for the essay (And I think my essay score was bullshit! It was the exact same as my first attempt but I had put a ton more thought into it). 

Did you notice that the deadline for Pittsburgh was extended? I'm hoping that's a good sign. One of my recommenders went there and he said it might mean they haven't gotten as many applications as they thought they did, but honestly I don't think his saying that means much. He knows I've been very nervous about this and was trying to encourage me. 

I've heard the same thing, that schools will only accept as many students as they can fund. Which is maybe a little disappointing. I might be willing to pay for a year if it meant I might be have a shot to prove myself and get funding later.

• 3 weeks later...

I have so far been rejected from Stony Brook and Pittsburgh....so danaofdoom it dos not seem like we will be classmates :(

my only real hope right now is UCLA

You got rejected from Pitt already? I'm sorry to hear that. I haven't heard a thing from them, I wonder what that means?

Don't give up all hope though, you never know about UCLA. And there's always next year. My advisor suggested that if I don't get accepted to a PhD program I should apply to some Master's programs. They'll be easier to get into and having a Master's will improve my chances for getting into a PhD program. You could always try that route. Good luck!

You got rejected from Pitt already? I'm sorry to hear that. I haven't heard a thing from them, I wonder what that means?

Don't give up all hope though, you never know about UCLA. And there's always next year. My advisor suggested that if I don't get accepted to a PhD program I should apply to some Master's programs. They'll be easier to get into and having a Master's will improve my chances for getting into a PhD program. You could always try that route. Good luck!

HI! yes.....thank you for the advise but i already HAD a masters, but i think i will apply for anther one anyway next year. There is still 5 more places to hear from. I emailed the Director and asked and he told me that the decisions will be going out soon....you should just ask him too and see what happens. Perhaps you got in! Let me know how it turns out

HI! yes.....thank you for the advise but i already HAD a masters, but i think i will apply for anther one anyway next year. There is still 5 more places to hear from. I emailed the Director and asked and he told me that the decisions will be going out soon....you should just ask him too and see what happens. Perhaps you got in! Let me know how it turns out

Turns out I got rejected from Pitt. But I did get a phone interview with UCSD. Hopefully that's a good sign.

Nothing wrong with an extra Master's. Or maybe some more work in the field? I've heard some people are able to get positions as research assistants at universities, and that helps them get a foot in the door.