Contact with faculty before application

Platonist

Hi, I found that many applicants make contacts with professors in the graduate program before they start or submit their application. But I have never done so. I am regretting that I have not done so, which could put me in a less competitive position. But are previous contacts really good and necessary for getting an offer of admission? I am stressed out. Please post your opinion or advice. 

No, I don't think they make applicants much more competitive at all. If you think you'd do well with faculty member F, then say that in your personal statement, select a suitable topic for your writing sample, and so on. Your "fit" should be evident from the application itself, not by some e-mail you send prior, during, or after the admissions process. Also, heed the advice of catwoman15 (or whomever it was) to check out some online blogs (like Leiter's, that guy from UC-Riverside's, etc.). They're really informative.

Edited by DHumeDominates