Do you think the MSW program helped you grow personally?

LittleDarlings

Last topic I make of the day I swear! 

I am wondering if you feel like you grew as a person in the MSW program? I read that it is a lot of self reflection and stuff like that.  I am somewhat of a judgmental person which I know is not good, especially in this profession, but I think I have the ability to look at situations objectively.  I am reading up on how to be a nonjudgmental person, how to be more "zen", I am in therapy for jealousy and self esteem issues, which are the source and I think the judgments I make on others are based on that.  How do you gain the tough skin of being a clinical social worker? I am a very sensitive person and I know that can pose a problem in this business.   I just know that this is my goal, I want this so much and I will read whatever books, or do therapy or whatever to make it happen.  I am half way there, I got in and now I am just getting scared.  One great thing is I finally feel like I have a new focus, I know the direction my life is going and I spend less time worrying about other things (I still worry but definitely not as much).  How has the program helped you personally? 

Through the particular topics discussed (at frustrating lengths), the crippling workload, the refinement of your critical thinking skills, and thought provoking and "progressive" ideas, MSW school will: 1. create an excessive amount of stress, 2. drive you into therapy, and 3. make you a better person. Respectively.

• 2 weeks later...

Reading books is great and getting advice from people who have the experience in MSW programs is great too, but honestly social work is so much more than knowledge. It's practice, and it's about transferring that knowledge to applying real life skills.

From what I'm aware, every social work program has an internship portion to the curriculum. Meaning you will be in an actual social work setting and working with real clients. No matter how much we try to get a handle on our "issues" leading up to practice in the field, nothing and I do mean nothing will test your ability to be professional, ethical and competent as much as working face to face with clients.

With that said, it is really important to acknowledge exactly what our push points are. And not just to acknowledge it but really accept it to the point where we shouldn't be taking offense if we are confronted about it, because if we feel ourselves start to get defensive and hot in the face, then that just means we haven't really truly come to terms with what makes us tick.

Also, while a field placement should be a safe place for student learners to grow, make mistakes, and really come head to head with how our clients make us feel (the emotions they might evoke in us because they remind us of a certain person maybe, or for reasons we have a hard time being objective because something about the client or their situation is pushing some button somewhere) it is so critical to learn how to manage that asap.

There's really no foolproof way to do it. There's really no textbook, black/white answer. It's on you to monitor yourself and check yourself every single day as you go. With that said, yeah, there are things we can easily do to keep ourselves that much more accountable. Absolutely keep up with therapy. I can't tell you how much therapy/counseling is encouraged in my program. We all have things going on that can and will affect our work. Take care of yourself. Talk things through with your instructors and supervisors once you're in the program. Be mindful of boundaries, of projecting your feelings where they have no place being projected. Keep in mind that social work is a lifelong learning process, and every social worker, heck every human being will always have areas where they can always improve and grow stronger. It's just a matter of recognizing opportunities for what they are instead of being dismissive or shutting down or prideful, or worse, burnt out.

And as for whether I've grown as a person myself as a result of being in an MSW program? The fact that I'm able to articulate all this is an absolutely resounding 200% YES that I have grown, I have watched every single one of my peers grow, and I know every social worker out there has opportunities to grow every single day. But again, it's a choice. A very conscious, mindful, and often difficult to come to choice, but nonetheless, a choice. Your choice.

Honestly, I agree that there is no way to force yourself into thick skin, cynicism, etc. It's all life experience (and some cultural norm/socialization). In my personal opinion, it is very hard to give advice when you haven't walked that mile.

You are indeed correct. This is why social workers are trained NOT to give clients advice. Clients are the best ones to find solutions to their own problems.

In my personal opinion, it is very hard to give advice when you haven't walked that mile.

I would also disagree. One of the best therapists I have worked with was a Mormon guy who I don't think had ever even tried caffeine. He was still incredibly understanding and amazing at working with youth with substance abuse issues. I have a history of drug abuse and in 4 years I only ever brought it up one time and regretted it afterwards. I thought it was kind of unprofessional of me after the fact. I've worked with some people with a history of substance use of physical abuse who I thought brought it up far too much and sometimes wasn't sure they were quite ready to be working with others. I think sometimes it could be good to have experience but sometimes it can also make things more difficult, it's just one of many many variables.

Hmm…I personally disagree with the 'don't share anything about yourself' advice. I have talked to social workers who operated that way and they sometimes come off sterile and unsympathetic to me. They didn't make me feel at ease. As a social worker, I disclose a bit about myself, in an authentic but professional way. Several years ago I worked with a therapist who was very much herself with clients-- she told me a bit about her personal experiences with grief/love/loss, her thoughts on spirituality, and criticisms about society. She was positive. But she was honest. I strive to be the same way. 

Everyone has their own style as a professional, and every client has his/her preferences. The problem I have with SW is it tries way too hard to 'medicalize' something that just isn't meant to be viewed that way. IMHO, many of the issues disenfranchised individuals face are not at all individual problems that should be solved with a fragmented, 'western medicine' approach. I enjoy a much more holistic and integrative view. 

Edited by Lola1233