MSc SLP in Canada, what are my chances?

Hi everyone,

I am trying to decide whether I should take the couple prerequisite courses I require to apply to SLP MSc program at the University of Alberta (I have a BSc in Biomedical Sciences and Psychology and 1 year of graduate studies in the field of neurosciences).

My GPA is 3.96 out of 4

GREs are average 158V, 157Q and 4.5

I have research experience in the clinical field (patients with epilepsy)

I have volunteer work with children with developmental disorders (autism, cerebral palsy) and with adults (brain trauma) but this volunteer work is not specifically SLP-related.

my dilemma is this: I have applied to another undergrad program and have been accepted into a program that isn't my dream career. But, I'm already 26 turning 27 this year and have a child so I am afraid to turn down this program which will be 2 years and guaranteed employment for my dream which is SLP...

As you will read on the pages of this forum, it is not a matter of whether you will be accepted into the field because of you stats. It is about whether you are good fit for their program. If your dream is to be an SLP then follow it and take the chance that you might not be accepted into the program the first time. You shouldn't let age stand in the way of that dream. I know many women in the grad program that have kids between the ages of 1-6 years old. They all say that while it is hard and they all have to make sacrifices it is worth it to them so that they can follow their "dream" job. 

Hi everyone,

I am trying to decide whether I should take the couple prerequisite courses I require to apply to SLP MSc program at the University of Alberta (I have a BSc in Biomedical Sciences and Psychology and 1 year of graduate studies in the field of neurosciences).

My GPA is 3.96 out of 4

GREs are average 158V, 157Q and 4.5

I have research experience in the clinical field (patients with epilepsy)

I have volunteer work with children with developmental disorders (autism, cerebral palsy) and with adults (brain trauma) but this volunteer work is not specifically SLP-related.

my dilemma is this: I have applied to another undergrad program and have been accepted into a program that isn't my dream career. But, I'm already 26 turning 27 this year and have a child so I am afraid to turn down this program which will be 2 years and guaranteed employment for my dream which is SLP...

What is the other undergrad program that you have been accepted into that is guaranteed employment if you don't mind me asking?

What is the other undergrad program that you have been accepted into that is guaranteed employment if you don't mind me asking?

Geosciences with specialization in petroleum. I have the core science courses completed and so it is only 2 years. Both my parents are in the oil and gas industry (senior positions)- it would be very easy for me to get a job.

As you will read on the pages of this forum, it is not a matter of whether you will be accepted into the field because of you stats. It is about whether you are good fit for their program. If your dream is to be an SLP then follow it and take the chance that you might not be accepted into the program the first time. You shouldn't let age stand in the way of that dream. I know many women in the grad program that have kids between the ages of 1-6 years old. They all say that while it is hard and they all have to make sacrifices it is worth it to them so that they can follow their "dream" job.

I always got the impression that in Canada stats did speak for a lot.

I feel like with a background in biomed, psychology and neuroscience I would be an ideal candidate. I am planning on contacting SLPs about volunteering.

I have always loved languages! I speak English, French, Spanish, a little Italian and some German haha I certainly used a lot of my electives on foreign language studies. I don't know if programs would find that an attractive fact about me. For some reason though I was completely unaware of the existence of SLPs until recently and it just clicked- I would love it!

Geosciences with specialization in petroleum. I have the core science courses completed and so it is only 2 years. Both my parents are in the oil and gas industry (senior positions)- it would be very easy for me to get a job.

That sounds interesting, but if SLP is your dream i wouldn't give up.  There are plenty of jobs in the field and you get a job in that too.

I always got the impression that in Canada stats did speak for a lot.

I feel like with a background in biomed, psychology and neuroscience I would be an ideal candidate. I am planning on contacting SLPs about volunteering.

I have always loved languages! I speak English, French, Spanish, a little Italian and some German haha I certainly used a lot of my electives on foreign language studies. I don't know if programs would find that an attractive fact about me. For some reason though I was completely unaware of the existence of SLPs until recently and it just clicked- I would love it!

It sounds to me by this post that you have not shadowed an SLP?  What has sparked your interest besides languages?  If it's just languages you are interest in, then you might be best with linguistics?  I say you should shadow SLP's to get a feel for it before dedicating your schooling towards it.  IT sounds like you have not taken any Comm Disorders classes yet also as you mentioned you need to take pre-req classes still.....  I guess I'm more of a conservative but I would lean towards the program you got acccepted to.  I am also a religous man, so I;d also say pray about it, but it's all up to you! 

It sounds to me by this post that you have not shadowed an SLP?  What has sparked your interest besides languages?  If it's just languages you are interest in, then you might be best with linguistics?  I say you should shadow SLP's to get a feel for it before dedicating your schooling towards it.  IT sounds like you have not taken any Comm Disorders classes yet also as you mentioned you need to take pre-req classes still.....  I guess I'm more of a conservative but I would lean towards the program you got acccepted to.  I am also a religous man, so I;d also say pray about it, but it's all up to you! 

In Canada, the pre-req classes are not necessarily comm Disorders classes.  The pre-reqs are phonetics, developmental pyschology, physiology, statistics & research design,  one general linguistics course, anatomy, a neuro and a speech science class.  The school you want to go to determines which pre-req you will need.  So if your undergrad is in linguistics, psychology  or some type of science then you should be fine.