Communication/Media Studies M.A Applications Decisions!!!

Hello all -

Any NYU/Georgetown applicants here? I applied for their Communication and Technology program but haven't heard back from any place as yet. Any idea when can we expect to be notified? 

I need some advice from all you smart folks! I am weighing going to UT-Austin RTF Media Studies with no funding and University of Arizona Comm Studies with teaching assistantship.  Both programs are out of state for me. I know UT has a stellar reputation, but does that outweigh in state tuition and a stipend? Thanks in advance. 

Hello all -

Any NYU/Georgetown applicants here? I applied for their Communication and Technology program but haven't heard back from any place as yet. Any idea when can we expect to be notified? 

I too applied to both schools, have yet to hear from either.

One of the big benefits of graduate school is that there are plenty of opportunities to go for free and get paid to do so. I wouldn't even consider UT unless they offered to pay your tuition, most if not all of your health insurance, and offered you a teaching gig. You will have success on the market if you are a terminal MA and you will be fine applying to Ph.D. programs if that's the route you choose to go no matter which program to which you apply.

Guys I just got an acceptance for Penn State yesteday, so I think anyone who applied should be hearing from them shortly. They didn't offer me any funding though, so I will be turning this one down. Good luck everyone!

I need some advice from all you smart folks! I am weighing going to UT-Austin RTF Media Studies with no funding and University of Arizona Comm Studies with teaching assistantship.  Both programs are out of state for me. I know UT has a stellar reputation, but does that outweigh in state tuition and a stipend? Thanks in advance. 

Definitely go with the program that offered funding!!! UT is great.. but not worth the debt!

Guys I just got an acceptance for Penn State yesteday, so I think anyone who applied should be hearing from them shortly. They didn't offer me any funding though, so I will be turning this one down. Good luck everyone!

Hello, I am an international student who has been admitted by Penn State without funding. I would like to know between Penn State and UW-Madison, which one you think is better to research political communication and First Amendment. Thanks so much for your advice! 

Hello, everyone! I am an international student who has been admitted by the M.A. program of Media Studies at Penn State  and  School of Journalism& Mass Communication at UW-Madison without funding. I want to research political communication and First Amendment. Since I cannot manage to get enough information about these two programs, I would like you smart guys to give me some advice. I have leanrt that Penn State admits much fewer students(of course including foreign students) than UW-Madison every year. Does that necessarily mean more opportunities to interact with professors? Since UW-Madison asks about $10,000 less for tuition than Penn State, which one do you think is better? Thank you so much for your advice! 

Hello, I am an international student who has been admitted by Penn State without funding. I would like to know between Penn State and UW-Madison, which one you think is better to research political communication and First Amendment. Thanks so much for your advice! 

Hi, I'm not sure if I'd be the best person to answer this since our interests are different. Hopefully some folks who do political comm around here can give you better advice. My first instinct is to ask whether you've been in touch with any of the professors at both programs or checked out their works and interests. If you've already picked out your POIs, perhaps you can contact them and ask if they are available to take on a Masters student. I hope that helps, good luck!

Hi, I'm not sure if I'd be the best person to answer this since our interests are different. Hopefully some folks who do political comm around here can give you better advice. My first instinct is to ask whether you've been in touch with any of the professors at both programs or checked out their works and interests. If you've already picked out your POIs, perhaps you can contact them and ask if they are available to take on a Masters student. I hope that helps, good luck!

Thank you! You really do me a favor! I have checked out their works and interests. I think I would try to contact the professors in both programs next. Good luck~

Hello, everyone! I am an international student who has been admitted by the M.A. program of Media Studies at Penn State  and  School of Journalism& Mass Communication at UW-Madison without funding. I want to research political communication and First Amendment. Since I cannot manage to get enough information about these two programs, I would like you smart guys to give me some advice. I have leanrt that Penn State admits much fewer students(of course including foreign students) than UW-Madison every year. Does that necessarily mean more opportunities to interact with professors? Since UW-Madison asks about $10,000 less for tuition than Penn State, which one do you think is better? Thank you so much for your advice! 

Hi! I'm an international student too (applying for PhD in my case) so I totally understand what you're feeling right now. I think looking at the programs and contacting the professors (seeing if they would be willing to work with you) is an excellent option. But since I guess you may be willing an opinion (at least, I'll die to have someone telling me what they would do in my position!), here is what I think (and it's just an opinion, so take it or drop it): you are balancing between 2 excellent universities, so you cannot make a wrong choice. As an international student, I would say that UW Madison has a stellar reputation, both inside and outside the US. If, as you write it, it is also less expensive than PSU, then it made be your place. Don't forget that you're going for a MA, so it is just one or two years, and you may be willing to save some money for later. Nothing prevents you from contacting PSU professors, see if you get along well with them and if you would like to work with them after your MA, and then (if you want to go to PhD) apply to PSU and aim to go there with funding as a PhD student!

PSU and UW Madison are both worth going to, but UW Madison looks like a real opportunity from my point of view (and I say that even if they would not have been a good fit for me). Then, again, it is your choice and no one but you can know what's best for you!

Hi! I'm an international student too (applying for PhD in my case) so I totally understand what you're feeling right now. I think looking at the programs and contacting the professors (seeing if they would be willing to work with you) is an excellent option. But since I guess you may be willing an opinion (at least, I'll die to have someone telling me what they would do in my position!), here is what I think (and it's just an opinion, so take it or drop it): you are balancing between 2 excellent universities, so you cannot make a wrong choice. As an international student, I would say that UW Madison has a stellar reputation, both inside and outside the US. If, as you write it, it is also less expensive than PSU, then it made be your place. Don't forget that you're going for a MA, so it is just one or two years, and you may be willing to save some money for later. Nothing prevents you from contacting PSU professors, see if you get along well with them and if you would like to work with them after your MA, and then (if you want to go to PhD) apply to PSU and aim to go there with funding as a PhD student!

PSU and UW Madison are both worth going to, but UW Madison looks like a real opportunity from my point of view (and I say that even if they would not have been a good fit for me). Then, again, it is your choice and no one but you can know what's best for you!

Hi Rhetgirl, thank you so much for your advice! I appreciate it a lot because I can feel that you have really carefully considered my situation. To go to UW Madison for a M.A degree and then apply to PSU for a PhD position with funding was exactly what I just thought of last night! When I saw you talk about this possibility, I almost could not believe my eyes~ Your words that "they are both worth going to" and "you cannot make a wrong choice" really make me feel better.  So again, thank you! I am going to contact professors who I would love to work with next week and hopefully they can recommend some books for me to read. Now I believe I can learn a lot in either university and they both can make me more prepared for further studies.

One of the big benefits of graduate school is that there are plenty of opportunities to go for free and get paid to do so. I wouldn't even consider UT unless they offered to pay your tuition, most if not all of your health insurance, and offered you a teaching gig. You will have success on the market if you are a terminal MA and you will be fine applying to Ph.D. programs if that's the route you choose to go no matter which program to which you apply.

I accepted the Arizona offer. You can't beat full tuition remission, a teaching assistantship and a couple of fellowships. Damn you, UT. I really wanted to go there, but Arizona is great!

Hi,

I'm very new to this forum. I would really appreciate it if anyone can help me answer some questions. Have anyone heard back from Penn State yet? Also, does anyone hear apply to UConn? If yes, have you heard anything from them regarding funding or assistantship yet? I'm really stressed out about this. 

From what I have gathered, Penn State admitted several MA students but did not offer any of them funding this year due to a large PhD cohort.  I think they generally reserve most funding for doctoral students.  Will be attending in fall (for doctoral program).  Hope that helps. 

Hi,

I'm very new to this forum. I would really appreciate it if anyone can help me answer some questions. Have anyone heard back from Penn State yet? Also, does anyone hear apply to UConn? If yes, have you heard anything from them regarding funding or assistantship yet? I'm really stressed out about this. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys

I applied for MA in Media Studies in NYU & Pratt and MS in Comm Mgmt in USC and Media Mgmt in New School.

I was fortunate to get into all of them. I am going to NYU Steinhardt MCC, my top choice. Leaving New School was tough. 

Anybody else other than MetaCog13 joining NYU?

Edited by Vemana