Social/Health Policy Careers

U-M_Detroiter

I am starting my MSW program next year concentrating in Social Policy and Evaluation in the practice area of health. I am wondering if anyone can give me some insight on the amount of jobs that would be available to me after graduation, and maybe what kind of jobs there are for people interested in Policy. Ultimately, I would love to get a job as a policy analyst (health policy if possible) or a researcher. I am passionate about access to affordable healthcare and advocating for disease prevention, as well as research on how these topics affect the poor. I will be attending school in Michigan, but I am not bound to the state after graduation. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

There is always going to be a need for social services and social policy makers! Actually, the employment of social workers is projected to grow 19% from 2012 to 2022 (BLS). I will recommend you to find a job in the private sector because governmental institutions are not paying very well: http://www.gradschools.com/search-programs/social-work-msw/social-worker-salary . I think the best fit for you will be to focus your job research on Non profit organizations.

There is always going to be a need for social services and social policy makers! Actually, the employment of social workers is projected to grow 19% from 2012 to 2022 (BLS). I will recommend you to find a job in the private sector because governmental institutions are not paying very well: http://www.gradschools.com/search-programs/social-work-msw/social-worker-salary . I think the best fit for you will be to focus your job research on Non profit organizations.

Thank you, I have been looking at various think tank organizations. I do have 3 years before I have to worry about jobs though haha.