Applied to top CS schools with high expectations - no interviews/acceptances?

tchaikovsky

There are a lot of other posts on here about admissions,

and of course there is the admission results page,

but I want to hear from people applying to top CS

schools (or who have gone through this in the past).

I've seen a number of interviews/acceptances come

through the results page, but haven't heard back from

any schools.

My 2 questions are:

1. About what % of grad schools have an interview process?
  2. Have I been filtered out of the process from most schools because I haven't heard from any schools yet?
Edited by tchaikovsky

1. In my experience, very few CS programs conduct formal interviews. Some POIs may have informal interviews with individual applicants, but even that is not always the case.

2. No, schools are only just starting to send out acceptances. I estimate that you'll hear back from most schools within the next month.

Edit: Are you applying to a PhD or MS program? I only have experience with the PhD admissions process.

Edited by dat_nerd

I have applied to three schools. They are said to give out acceptances early March, mid March and late March, respectively. Only the last one may contact me for an interview, but the other two probably not. Just keep an eye out on the results page for official acceptances. I wouldn't worry until many results come in for a specific school and you haven't heard anything. Also, check the results page for the time frames in which offers were made the last couple of years for your specific schools.

Edited by Kleene

Same here. Haven't heard from any school yet.

I hope they are currently only admitting the strong candidates and then proceed depending on how much of them accept offers.

How many of your school are already giving out results? Do they usually interview?

Just keep an eye out on the results page for official acceptances. I wouldn't worry until many results come in for a specific school and you haven't heard anything. Also, check the results page for the time frames in which offers were made the last couple of years for your specific schools.

I really don't recommend this! When I was waiting to hear back from schools last year, I saw that a lot of people were starting to get acceptances to a particular school I had applied to. When the week ended and I didn't hear back, I sadly assumed I had been rejected. Much to my surprise, I got my acceptance letter from the school a few days later.

Moral of the story: It isn't over until it's officially over! Stop reading into the results page listings. Your application is rejected only when you receive an email from the school, and no sooner. Also, some people like to post unofficial acceptances to the results page. This is misleading and panic-inducing, so take everything you read on the results page with a grain of salt.

I really don't recommend this! When I was waiting to hear back from schools last year, I saw that a lot of people were starting to get acceptances to a particular school I had applied to. When the week ended and I didn't hear back, I sadly assumed I had been rejected. Much to my surprise, I got my acceptance letter from the school a few days later.

Moral of the story: It isn't over until it's officially over! Stop reading into the results page listings. Your application is rejected only when you receive an email from the school, and no sooner. Also, some people like to post unofficial acceptances to the results page. This is misleading and panic-inducing, so take everything you read on the results page with a grain of salt.

I am definitely not talking about panicking after only a week of official results coming in. Only panick when many results have come in and the results are obviously getting less and less frequent. That would be about the time to contact the admissions office to ask for a heads up. Panicking is not doing any good anyway. For me personally, it reduces panic to check out the results page every day.

I do agree with you that the key to not panicking is not assuming things that are not necessarily true.

Edited by Kleene

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat. I still haven't heard back from CMU, MIT, Cornell, or Berkeley. Not sure when I should start to panic :P

It is probably a bad idea to apply just to top schools.

Just wait and check your spam folder. One of my acceptances was in my spam box <_<

Checking the spam folder is a great idea!