Electronic Transcripts - Reliable?

babycakes

So on top of coralling a million LORs from your half dozen references, I am worried about schools recieving their ET.

I have a deadline this friday for 3/5 schools I'm applying. ONE of the schools ... is my alma mater (University of Maryland), and 50% of their pages indicate no need for sending the transript to them. I haven't, and if they fuss about it I'll be like... yeah your websites man.

SO THE OTHER TWO, I sent via mail and ET. I will check on the one I sent via mail shortly, but the one by ET, I am worried. Johns Hopkins application system ISIS is treacherous and indicates it doesn't have ANYTHING even though GRE scores were sent the day I took them (Dec 16th), the Transcript on Dec 31st, and one LOR was sent over thanksgiving break, and the other a week ago. I sent an email about the ET, but I'm SLIGHTLY paranoid their ISIS system won't let me complete my application 100% without everything being filed under "Complete". I have until this Friday. My SO is also applying at JHU (different program) and he says there's a bit of a lag. However, since I'm coming up on the Feb 1st deadline, I am a bit paranoid (and he sent everything via mail except the Resume and SoP).

WHATS GOING ON? Anyone have issues with ET???

Is there any way to double check with your alma mater that they definitely sent the electronic transcript? I just sent my first ET ever and my school emailed me when it was sent and emailed me when it was downloaded (which is an awesome feature!). If U of Maryland doesn't email you, perhaps call the registrar and see if they can provide this info? Schools often take a while to update those status check websites for applications, but it doesn't mean they don't have everything. 

Have you already submitted your application? Most of those documents (GREs, transcripts, LORs) can be submitted after you submit your application. Also, did you have to upload an unofficial transcript with your application? Schools will often use these to start reviewing apps, even if they require official transcripts too. 

At one school I applied to, I had mailed a paper transcript over a month before the deadline. However, even a week past the deadline, the online system for that school still said "Transcript -- not received". I emailed the graduate school about it and asked if they actually received my transcript. They replied that they actually got my transcript a month ago and it was properly filed in my application etc. However, since my middle name on my official transcript was punctuated slightly differently than my application (i.e. in a way that a human can clearly tell they are the same name but a computer cannot), the automated system could not match my mailed in transcript with my electronic record. They said that this is pretty common and there is no way for them to go in to the system and manually change my transcript status so they never did. 

You should definitely check with both the sending school and the receiving school but I would not worry too much about what the online status says. Sometimes they are just plain wrong and in some cases, they probably have nothing to do with the actual application decision. 

My alma mater is also UMD. I had an electronic transcript sent to Johns Hopkins from UMD in December, which never appeared in their system. In January I called the department and was able to get on the phone with someone who was able to download e-transcripts, but she was unable to locate anything for me. So, I immediately ordered a paper copy to be delivered to the school. Johns Hopkins' system still shows that I do not have a transcript and its been over a month. At least now I have proof that the paper one was delivered since it was sent via usps next day.

Edited by newschool123

I sent my transcripts from two of my previous four institutions electronically.  I called to see if they were received (I had prior email notification that they were delivered) and they told me they were not there in my file.  I told her they were sent electronically and she went ahead and checked my electronic file.. there they were.  They had my hard copies and my electronically delivered transcripts, but did not put them together.  Just received an email not too long ago stating that my application was not complete because they did not have all my transcripts even though I spoke with them earlier today to verify delivery.  I'll check back Monday.. but Feb 1 is the funding deadline, hope this doesn't mess it up.