Research Experience:

1 year at UF, Summer at the Univ of Michigan

1st publication

Area(s) of Interests:

-Robotics, Biomechanics, Dynamics 

Schools Applied:
-Stanford (MS in ME) - Accepted for a MS, visiting Feb 12-14
-Berkeley (PhD in ME)
-UMich (PhD in ME)  - Accepted for a funded MS with PhD option after first year, visiting March 21

-UCLA (Phd in ME)

- UC Santa Barbara (PhD in ME)

-UC San Diego (Phd in ME) - Rejected

Hi all, so I know this is a PhD thread but you guys seem to really know your stuff so I was hoping to get a little input on an MS related question: Basically does anyone have any idea how Berkeley handles MS applicants assuming the applicant did not go to Berkeley UG (so they wouldn't be doing the Fifth Year Masters Option). I know Berkeley's graduate engineering school is smaller than other top schools (with the exception of Princeton and Cal Tech) and that they have an enrollment cap which means they are preferential to MS/PhD applicants rather than MS applicants. Has anyone ever heard of a student who did their undergrad elsewhere being accepted to the MS program at Berkeley? I'm graduating with a 3.87 GPA from a top 5 ME program with 1 year of research expirence (no pubs) and I'm trying to gauge if I have any shot at all of getting accepted to Berkeley. I haven't heard anything yet from Berkeley which I know doesn't bode well but I did get accepted to fully funded MS programs at Stanford and MIT, niether of which I was expecting, so I guess as of right now I'm still daring to be optimistic. Thanks a lot for any input you can provide.

Hey all, sorry I realize my post just above this one was obnoxiously long and I don't want to take over this thread, therefore if you want to reply I created a thread called "MSME at Berkeley" in The Bank where it might be better to respond.

To those of you who were admitted to Berkeley, did they say anything that would indicate all of their offers have been sent out?

I was not admitted into Berkeley, and even I didn't apply for ME in Berkeley, but I had a short email correspondence a few days ago with two faculty members of another department and they said me that usually all decisions are made in January and February

Edited by tvorimir

Does anyone have any information on when Stanford will release all of their Mechanical Engineering, PhD decisions? On the results page some people contacted the admissions office and were told all decisions will be sent out by March 21st, but it looks like there is still a large group of people who haven't heard back.

Thanks!

What's up guys?! So where's everyone headed this fall? I'm still trying to decide between two schools.

UCSB!

I was in your shoes last week. I had a really difficult decision between JHU and UCSB. Both schools are great so I was not sacrificing much, but ultimately I rationalized my decision by considering where I would be happiest. I believe that in order to be productive in research you have to be in a place you enjoy.  

Best of luck in your decision. 

Edited by finallyagradstudent

I'm deciding between UC Berkeley, UCSD, and USC. UCSD seems to have the best research fit but I don't see myself living in San Diego for 5 years. USC is most well-rounded in terms of research fit, funding offer, and location. But I seriously loved Berkeley when I visited , buttttt the funding offer is pretty low and it's a high cost living area. I might just bite the bullet and go to Berkeley though. Thoughts anyone?

I'm deciding between UC Berkeley, UCSD, and USC. UCSD seems to have the best research fit but I don't see myself living in San Diego for 5 years. USC is most well-rounded in terms of research fit, funding offer, and location. But I seriously loved Berkeley when I visited , buttttt the funding offer is pretty low and it's a high cost living area. I might just bite the bullet and go to Berkeley though. Thoughts anyone?

I am planning to go to UCSD because of the best research fit for me. Why wouldn't you live in San Diego for 5 years? 

Just out of curiosity, would there be an opportunity to secure additional funding at Berkeley during the course of your PhD?

I stayed in san Diego for 3 weeks two summers ago and it just wasn't for me. The weather was perfect and it was a nice place, but it was a little too slow for me. I grew up in ny, so I'm a city boy at heart, that's why LA and San Fran fit me better.

As for the funding question, I probably will have opportunities, but I guess I just wanted some financial security.