Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

So this is how pathetic I am...

According to the 2013-2014 Fulbright forum, applicants received their first notifications on Friday, January 18th. Maybe last year Fulbright was really behind and this year we will find out sooner than expected!

I was wondering the same thing ! 

2014:  Tuesday, January 28th 

2013: Friday, January 18th

2012: Thursday, January 19th

2011: Thursday, January 20th

2010: Friday, January 29th (Apparently they had issues that year with the Embark system going down)

2009: Friday, January 30th

I was wondering the same thing ! 

2014:  Tuesday, January 28th 

2013: Friday, January 18th

2012: Thursday, January 19th

2011: Thursday, January 20th

2010: Friday, January 29th (Apparently they had issues that year with the Embark system going down)

2009: Friday, January 30th

Hooray! I'm not alone!

Thanks for compiling these dates! It definitely helps to see them listed.

Oh gosh...that means I'm going to be checking my email more than usual everyday this month instead of just on the 30th! Haha :P

**Edit:  But wait, on the Fulbright website, it says that January 30th is "Recommendation Notifications."  I guess that doesn't mean they won't release them early if they feel like it, though!

Edited by travelgirl125

Oh gosh...that means I'm going to be checking my email more than usual everyday this month instead of just on the 30th! Haha :P

**Edit:  But wait, on the Fulbright website, it says that January 30th is "Recommendation Notifications."  I guess that doesn't mean they won't release them early if they feel like it, though!

Yup, it does indicate the 30th, so we should all probably just go into hibernation. Watch an email come out from Fulbright that is not our decision, but rather just some irrelevant info, and all of us have small panic attacks when it hits our inboxes. 

Yup, I've read plenty of them. Always an interesting read and a great way to kill time, though it can be like binge watching netflix shows, you take it all in in a condensed period and then all of sudden there's no more left....and you're back to attempting to not think about your own application.

Good to know I'm not the only one...though some of the response I got were rather frank in how tough the experience can be sometimes, which is good to temper the excitement but also a bit intimidating.

Oh yeah, it's a nice reality slap about the work. Because I've heard people say to please remember that this is a full-time job and not every day will be fun and cooperative as an ETA. I know under South Korea they have all the Fulbrighters meet up for 6 weeks learning how to teach, learning the language, seeing schools, and doing culture workshops before being placed... And some schools just follow a textbook and don't require you to do a lot of planning, and others have you doing a significant amount of work.

Both scary and exciting to see where exactly you could end up in the spectrums of places and schools.

For ETAs, has anyone been able to locate on the Fulbright website the placements of this year's group?  I'm not sure if this is the same for other countries, but I applied to Italy, and Fulbright places you in a city of their choice if you are accepted.  I was just interested to see where exactly grantees were placed, but can't find the information on the website (unless I'm overlooking it!).

I thought the same thing ! but I emailed the advisor for the region in which I applied and he said it wasn't specifically the 30th but said it would be "late January" oiy !  :blink:

I thought the same thing ! but I emailed the advisor for the region in which I applied and he said it wasn't specifically the 30th but said it would be "late January" oiy !  :blink:

WAAAAA???

WELP. Guess my anxiety is heightened.

Hey guys. Current Fulbrighter in the Philippines here. Remembered this forum from last year, and figured I would chime in. 

Just like you guys I was checking this forum and my email obsessively around this time last year. The notifications of final round, as has been mentioned here, were on January 28th, exactly when Fulbright announced they would be. They even told us they would be around 5PM (Eastern). I remember my notification was around 545PM (and that 45 minutes being very very long). The final notifications timing is entirely different and a complete crapshoot as to when that happens, but at least last year final round notifications were dead on when Fulbright said they would be. 

Cheers and may the odds be ever in your favor. 

Edited by NeBar

Hey guys. Current Fulbrighter in the Philippines here. Remembered this forum from last year, and figured I would chime in. 

Just like you guys I was checking this forum and my email obsessively around this time last year. The notifications of final round, as has been mentioned here, were on January 28th, exactly when Fulbright announced they would be. They even told us they would be around 5PM (Eastern). I remember my notification was around 545PM (and that 45 minutes being very very long). The final notifications timing is entirely different and a complete crapshoot as to when that happens, but at least last year final round notifications were dead on when Fulbright said they would be. 

Thanks so much for the insight!  That must have been great to know an approximate time, although I'm sure that 45 minute wait was agonizing!

Hope you are having an amazing time in the Philippines :)

Those of you reapplying, how did the experience of last year change your perspective of the program as a whole?

Good question. I would say that last year taught me to approach the program in a more relaxed manner. Last year, I would obsessively check this forum, the spreadsheet, the website, etc. Now, it's only every couple of days that I'll check. Last year, I was panicking about the entire thing because I was graduating in May, and it was the only thing I had applied for. I was dead-set on Fulbright because I wanted it SO badly. While I still really want it, I'm definitely applying to other things so I give myself more options. I'm kind of approaching it this way: I applied, they got my application, and email decisions are coming either way so it's not worth it to stress and worsen my anxiety. (Fulbright can realllllly mess with anxiety disorders, but only if you let it). 

So, in short, I would say to breathe, relax, and just let the emails come when they may. 

Those of you reapplying, how did the experience of last year change your perspective of the program as a whole?

Although my application materials were strong enough for me to be an Alternate for an ETA, I realized that I needed to improve the focus of my project. Additionally, I also realized that checking this thread once per hour was not helpful in the slightest; fortunately, I have many other responsibilities at this point that prevent me from logging on but every few days.

I can second the last part about final notifications. I didn't receive my final notification about the ETA until JUNE 2ND! :unsure:

Hey guys! This is my first time posting, but I just got word from my advisor that first round notifications will be coming out THIS FRIDAY (Jan. 16th)! He even forwarded the official statement from Fulbright and IIE. Looks like the wait is almost over!!

newsletter_header.gif NSC Result Notification 

Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to announce that IIE will be informing students of the outcome of the first stage of Fulbright U.S. Student Competition this week.  

Emails will be sent to all applicants notifying them of their application status by the end of the day on Friday, January 16, 2015.
Edited by nic93

Hey guys! This is my first time posting, but I just got word from my advisor that first round notifications will be coming out THIS FRIDAY (Jan. 16th)! He even forwarded the official statement from Fulbright and IIE. Looks like the wait is almost over!!

newsletter_header.gif NSC Result Notification

Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to announce that IIE will be informing students of the outcome of the first stage of Fulbright U.S. Student Competition this week.

Emails will be sent to all applicants notifying them of their application status by the end of the day on Friday, January 16, 2015

Yikes! Just when I was starting to feel very zen about waiting the next 2 weeks, I read your post. How incredible would it be if we found out whether or not we are finalists in only two days?

Also, thank you so much for sharing nic93!

Edited by RRachel1

What? I'm not sure what to believe now. I hope we do find out on Friday but would not be surprised if something happened to delay the process. According to the stats that were posted it would be the earliest they sent it out in the past 5 years.

eta: I was just saying "those people are right, I shouldn't be checking this several times a day" but I don't think I can stick to that now...

Edited by kmac11

I second this news, my Fulbright advisor has just emailed me the news about the date being pushed up to this Friday as well!!

OoOoOoooh... I feel sick! :o

I was JUST about to say that reading that made me sick to my stomach!  But also incredibly excited!! AHHH.

I was JUST about to say that reading that made me sick to my stomach!  But also incredibly excited!! AHHH.

So many emotions at one time! I'm hyperventilating juuust a little!

I was NOT expecting a pushed up date like that!

I second this news, my Fulbright advisor has just emailed me the news about the date being pushed up to this Friday as well!!

OoOoOoooh... I feel sick! :o

AHH! So we have confirmation!! Don't be sick, this is good news! It will lessen our panic/anxiety/stress by 2 weeks! Edited by RRachel1

This is the best news I got since I graduated on the 20th. See I didn't tell my folks of the Fulbright and everyone's been asking me of my plans. Come Friday I will have an answer for all. Thanks for sharing this great info.