Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

Hi everyone- I have a question. 

I have a question about the statistics published for the research award. 

120/50

Are the number of applications the number that are recommended? Or does it also include the number of applications that did not make it to the finalist round? 

I'm assuming it is the latter. 

Anyone else have insights on this? Your feedback would be much appreciated. 

Edited by lemon123

120/50

Are the number of applications the number that are recommended? Or does it also include the number of applications that did not make it to the finalist round? 

My understanding is the higher number represents the total number of applicants, and the lower number represents the total number of grantees.  

According to this website the number of applications that are recommended is 1.5 to 2 times higher than the number of grants available.  So for those statistics, I would assume that 120 people applied, 75-100 were recommended, and 50 received grants.  

Hi all,

I have not received an interview for the UK. Am I doomed for rejection?  :unsure:

Hello!

I know I received my email 5 days after the first UK applicant on this forum posted that they received their email. Maybe it's on a school-by-school basis and they haven't finished your school yet! Which grant did you apply for? 

Good luck! I know it's horrible waiting!

Yep. 2001-2002 through CIEE and Experiment e.V.

Awesome!!! Where were you placed? I have a very dear friend who I met this year, and he is one of the participants from Germany in the same program! 

120/50

My understanding is the higher number represents the total number of applicants, and the lower number represents the total number of grantees.  

According to this website the number of applications that are recommended is 1.5 to 2 times higher than the number of grants available.  So for those statistics, I would assume that 120 people applied, 75-100 were recommended, and 50 received grants.  

Yes, it's the total number of applicants. As far as I know, they don't report exactly how many people are selected as finalists. I'm also not sure why they say they were last updated in February, but I was informed of my grant in April and I don't think the statistics were updated before that, so I wouldn't bet on them being updated before you get a final decision. But I could be misremembering. They are also wrong for my host country so they're not entirely reliable either! 

Hello!

I know I received my email 5 days after the first UK applicant on this forum posted that they received their email. Maybe it's on a school-by-school basis and they haven't finished your school yet! Which grant did you apply for? 

Good luck! I know it's horrible waiting!

Hi all,

I have not received an interview for the UK. Am I doomed for rejection?  :unsure:

Rosy, what University Award are you applying for? Dbloom, I haven't received an interview email either, so I'm starting to freak out too - where are you applying? I'm applying to University of Exeter for an MA Degree. Since I'm guessing the interviews will take place the last week in February, does this mean if we don't hear anything by the end of the week we've been rejected? A friend told me she got the email 2 weeks before her interview last year. Also, are interviews mandatory for all UK Awards, or only some?  

Hi everyone!

I am excited to see so many others anxiously awaiting the start of application season and very glad that we will get to share all of the joys and stresses of this process together!  I will be applying for a research position in the student program in Moldova.  Hope that I'll get to meet another Moldova applicant or anyone else hoping to head to Eurasia :)

hi rrachel1! i too applied for moldova for the 2015-2016 year. did you end up submitting your application? do you know any other folks who applied? 

Medievalist- (Cool name, by the way! Is the MA you applied for studying Medieval ages from a history or literature perspective?) I received my notification on the 5th, and my interview is the 17th, so maybe they just notify a week and a half to two weeks before your interview? That seems like a fair possibility.

I still can't seem to figure out if every UK award requires an interview. I've heard so much conflicting information.  I know that the UK-US partnership website says the following: 

Q: I haven't been selected for a telephone interview. Can I find out why?

A: The application pool is large and highly competitive. Given the number of applications received, It is not possible for the Commission to provide feedback on unsuccessful applications.

However... I'm also under the impression that "unsuccessful applications" refers to those that were not recommended, as I have heard that all recommended applicants receive the final email stating "Not Selected," "Alternate," or "Principle." 

It also says elsewhere on the website: "Following the application deadline and subsequent review of applications, successful applicants may be invited for telephone interviews by the Fulbright Commission" 

I have heard that interpreted in two ways: 1) That some applicants may be successful (recommended), and some or all of those will be interviewed depending on the program. OR 2) That those who are recommended may or may not be interviewed, depending on whether or not the next step of review finds them successful.

Is this information helpful? Probably not. But that is what I kept rereading (OVER AND OVER), and I can't seem to get anything clearer out of it than that.

As for my application--- University of Sheffield. I don't think anyone on here yet has posted about Exeter interviews. I hope that means good news for you!

Rosy,

It's quite confusing, isn't it? Looks like they are interviewing you the week before they speak with me. How are you preparing for it? Everyone says it's not that brutal but this will be the first time I do a telephone interview and am understandably nervous.

Mediavalist and Dbloom- The emails are trickling in. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

hi rrachel1! i too applied for moldova for the 2015-2016 year. did you end up submitting your application? do you know any other folks who applied? 

Hi!! This is so exciting! No I have not met one other person applying to Moldova.  Yes, I submitted and was recommended.  Are you applying for research or ETA?

I applied to Imperial - no interview yet.

I found this post from last year:

You and I are in the same boat. I'm a UK applicant (partnership award) who was recommended and I, too, have yet to receive an interview invite. I feel your anxiety!! I've done some searching online and I've talked with my FPA to figure out if I'm still being considered or if I'm out of the running, and I've gotten some mixed info. As Horb said, UK and US Fulbright websites seem pretty clear that if you don't get an invite, you're not being considered. I'm not sure that that's entirely the case. My FPA contacted some of her FPA "listserv friends" to see if other FPAs have had UK applicants with a similar experience. Their responses suggest that you and I are definitely not alone in being invite-less and that not all invites may be sent out at the same time. Additionally, some of them seem to think some candidates who are being seriously considered aren't interviewed at all.

Also, I came across a message posted in a similar Fulbright forum a couple years back written by a UK applicant who was recommended but didn't get an interview invite. The applicant contacted the International Advisor to find out if his/her application was still under consideration. The applicant posted the International Advisor's response: ""Not to worry... It simply means that the committee has sufficient info without requiring an interview, but the candidate is still in play. As you can imagine, we just can't interview all 600+!"

So, basically, there's really no way to know anything just yet. Cheers to hanging in there and waiting it out!

Edited by Dbloom

Hello All,

I wanted to wish everyone good luck, I decided to read through the thread since I was a 2013-2014 Fulbright Grant recipient to Australia. Not sure if I can assist anyone, but feel free to send me a message. From reading the posts, looks like the first round decisions have been made - they ranked the applicants and send them to the host country to review the applicants and make their own rankings. I received my acceptance email/decision at the beginning of April.

Best of luck!!!! 

Hi everyone! I've been lurking pretty consistently for a few weeks (this forum has been keeping me sane-- it's nice to have something Fulbright-related to read while we wait).

I applied for an ETA and a Critical Language Scholarship (I'm talking about the summer program, not the CLS that's done in conjunction with your Fulbright). I've been recommended for both; however, I've gotten conflicting information about doing a CLS summer program and an ETA in the same year. From what I've read, some material says that applicants may have to choose between accepting a Fulbright and accepting the CLS (implying that it could be possible to do both?). In other places, though, it says that applicants have to choose between CLS and Fulbright. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Rosy,

It's quite confusing, isn't it? Looks like they are interviewing you the week before they speak with me. How are you preparing for it? Everyone says it's not that brutal but this will be the first time I do a telephone interview and am understandably nervous.

Mediavalist and Dbloom- The emails are trickling in. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Oh gosh. I've been back and forth about how to prepare, honestly. I'm worried about over preparing and coming across as artificial. But I met with my (amazing) FPA --she was a Marshall scholar and her husband was a Fulbrighter-- so she's full of great advice, and other than that I'm consulting my mentors about things they think I should highlight about myself and rereading the binder I made with all my application materials and Fulbright info. What are your thoughts on preparing?

Hi everyone! I've been lurking pretty consistently for a few weeks (this forum has been keeping me sane-- it's nice to have something Fulbright-related to read while we wait).

I applied for an ETA and a Critical Language Scholarship (I'm talking about the summer program, not the CLS that's done in conjunction with your Fulbright). I've been recommended for both; however, I've gotten conflicting information about doing a CLS summer program and an ETA in the same year. From what I've read, some material says that applicants may have to choose between accepting a Fulbright and accepting the CLS (implying that it could be possible to do both?). In other places, though, it says that applicants have to choose between CLS and Fulbright. Does anyone have any insight on this?

Unfortunately, I know nothing about this. Your username caught my attention though. Which country did you apply to? Macedonia here. :)

Unfortunately, I know nothing about this. Your username caught my attention though. Which country did you apply to? Macedonia here. :)

Also very curious about this as I am also a Balkan applicant/Balkan fanatic and would love to hear about your interest in the region :) ToTheBalkans, I wonder if they make you chose because you will miss Fulbright orientation if you do the CLS program. I wish it was more in my academic interests to do the CLS program, the Turkey programs look awesome but I am doing pre-professional grad work right now and I don't think I could have justified Turkish language study in order to teach middle-school Social Studies in the US... :/

Yo. I applied for an ETA and my second CLS summer. I have a friend currently doing an ETA in Taiwan that did the Advanced Chinese CLS program with me this past summer. She had to miss the last two days of CLS to make it to her Fulbright orientation. From what I understand it is possible to do both, but there is a lot of logistical planning that needs to be taken care of in advance.

Edited by laowhy