Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

Guys, I just wanna say that even if you don't get it, apply again. I didn't even get recommended last year, and spent the off time working on my grant proposal and personal statement. It definitely helped, plus you never know what the competition might be like the next year, either! Best of luck to all y'all still waiting to hear.

Congratulations to everyone accepted!!! Best of luck going to forward to alternates - that's still amazing that you made it that far!!

So it looks like last year's timeline is still an okay predictor - many early countries last year were early countries this year.

(This is a desperate UK applicant being... well...desperate.)

Edited by cloudysky16

So gradcafe community, I need your wonderful insights regarding a job offer vis-à-vis the Fulbright. Two weeks ago I was offered a wonderful job. A kind of dream job really. This job will allow me to bring my girlfriend along and also tour a country that has always held my imagination. It will be an understatement to say it's tempting. They gave me 3 weeks to get back to them. If I were to get the Fulbright (a big if since I am applying to the UK), I will be in a bind since I am really tempted by this offer. Not only does it have great perks ( a huge draw for a pauper like me) but it will also look great on my resume since it's in the field I will end up in eventually after grad school. Fulbright is a lifetime opportunity and probably one of the most prestigious fellowships out there so there is that also. What do you good folks think?

Hello everyone! Finally decided to post, although I created my account a couple of days ago. I applied for an ETA grant in the Dominican Republic, and am anxiously/obsessively checking my e-mail along with the rest of you. Yet it does appear as if Latin America usually starts late-March, and sends out most of their notifications by the end of April.

Anyhow, shoutout to all my fellow Latin America applicants!

Congrats everyone! This is awesome!

I don't know how I feel about the decision in the subject line. On the one hand, I appreciate the decisiveness. On the other, I would prefer to see that I have the email so I can read it when I'm not in public.

At any rate, I'll just quietly go back to refreshing my email.

Congrats everyone! This is awesome!

I don't know how I feel about the decision in the subject line. On the one hand, I appreciate the decisiveness. On the other, I would prefer to see that I have the email so I can read it when I'm not in public.

At any rate, I'll just quietly go back to refreshing my email.

I actually made an email filter for anything Fulbright related so it goes into a folder and skips my inbox. Is that super lame or what ? 

So gradcafe community, I need your wonderful insights regarding a job offer vis-à-vis the Fulbright. Two weeks ago I was offered a wonderful job. A kind of dream job really. This job will allow me to bring my girlfriend along and also tour a country that has always held my imagination. It will be an understatement to say it's tempting. They gave me 3 weeks to get back to them. If I were to get the Fulbright (a big if since I am applying to the UK), I will be in a bind since I am really tempted by this offer. Not only does it have great perks ( a huge draw for a pauper like me) but it will also look great on my resume since it's in the field I will end up in eventually after grad school. Fulbright is a lifetime opportunity and probably one of the most prestigious fellowships out there so there is that also. What do you good folks think?

You can always do Fulbright after (or even during) your graduate studies. I'd go with the guarantee, especially if it's going to work out to bring your lady. :)

IMMERSION IMMERSION IMMERSION.

i went from not speaking a word of German to speaking almost like a native in 11 months. Whenever I go back, people are surprised to hear that I am from America (if they think I have an accent, it's always that the think I am from Netherlands) and I honestly believe it's because I refused to speak English the entire time I was abroad. The more you speak, the more you HAVE to know, and I have found that being shameless in asking questions really helps.

I found that learning sentence structure and a few basic verb conjugations really helped me (to be, to have, to do/make), and then I could just fill in vocabulary from there.

My latin teacher had always touted that an understanding of latin and how languages function would help us immensely in learning a new language, and I agree with that completely. I could always ask someone quickly if a certain verb took the dative or the genitive, which was a solid and quick way of learning grammar. I just needed to note it in a small book that I carried with me and it was in my brain. Also, an understanding of sentence structure (and thereby, the parts of the sentence) given to me in 3rd grade english classes and reinforced in my high school latin classes helped tremendously.

I agree-- immersion is essential. Also, if you don't have the opportunity to be in a country whose official language is your foreign language, you can create your own immersion. I have been to Germany three times in the past 2.5 years: once with a study abroad program in Köln and twice for internships (Köln and Hannover). Being back the US, however, has not thwarted my progress. I have created my own Germany here at college and only speak German with many American friends and my German best friend. It has led to Germans not being able to recognize that i'm not from Germany. Isn't that the best compliment you could ever receive, kconhead? Being able to imitate an accent is a true gift, so cheers! Congrats on the offer from Austria!

I am eagerly awaiting the notification from Germany. The language and the culture have really shaped the past 4 years of my life, and I hope that they will continue to do so for the rest of my life. 

If anyone is interested, check out these two videos: (the first is from our commemoration of the 25th year since the fall of the Berlin wall and the second is me performing "Haus am See" by one of my favorite artists, Peter Fox)

2. https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10206216591403739&pnref=story

Ich drücke euch allen die Daumen! 

I actually made an email filter for anything Fulbright related so it goes into a folder and skips my inbox. Is that super lame or what ? 

THIS IS A GREAT IDEA. I'm doing this. I can't handle the anxiety and need another barrier between me and the decision. hahaha. 

(and to @jadesg1 !) I didn't even know you could do this until now.... but I definitely just created a folder as well! That's a really great idea!

someone's annoyed that i won't stop texting her 24/7 about my as yet unknown acceptance status

e4QnDP3.jpg?1

congratulations to all those who were accepted!!!!!!!! you now not only have a fulbright, but my unrepressed, seething jealousy  ^_^

YOU'RE NOT ALONE 

JAUGc6e.jpg 

Clearly I am an incredibly dramatic texter when it comes to my mom, haha. 

Edited by jadesg1

Question about Fulbright, hope you guys can answer it:

If you're already enrolled in a doctoral program at a US university, can you apply for this? I can't seem to find any exact wording on their site/the internet that implies otherwise. Would really like to know, thanks!

I was in a similar situation last month, and ended up accepting the job/internship and withdrawing my application for Fulbright. I can apply to Fulbright again when this contract is over, and save up money in the mean time. Of course, at that point it was still just 50/50 whether I would get an ETA so it was also easier to go with the guaranteed option.

...That said, I am kind of sad to missing out on the excitement right now. Couldn't resist checking the forums to see who had been accepted. Congrats to everyone who got positive news so far!

I agree-- immersion is essential. Also, if you don't have the opportunity to be in a country whose official language is your foreign language, you can create your own immersion. I have been to Germany three times in the past 2.5 years: once with a study abroad program in Köln and twice for internships (Köln and Hannover). Being back the US, however, has not thwarted my progress. I have created my own Germany here at college and only speak German with many American friends and my German best friend. It has led to Germans not being able to recognize that i'm not from Germany. Isn't that the best compliment you could ever receive, kconhead? Being able to imitate an accent is a true gift, so cheers! Congrats on the offer from Austria!

I am eagerly awaiting the notification from Germany. The language and the culture have really shaped the past 4 years of my life, and I hope that they will continue to do so for the rest of my life. 

If anyone is interested, check out these two videos: (the first is from our commemoration of the 25th year since the fall of the Berlin wall and the second is me performing "Haus am See" by one of my favorite artists, Peter Fox)

2. https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10206216591403739&pnref=story

Ich drücke euch allen die Daumen! 

wait that seems like my life. i actually spent a year in Hannover, which kicked off my German obsession, and then i went back to live with my host family for a summer, and then spent 6 months in vienna. i have started a  german conversation club, speak german with my friends from Germany allllllll the time, and speak ot a lot of my American friends only in German. 

you are definitely right -- i was so proud when people mistook me for German for the first time. Now all of my German friends make fun of me though, because my "machen"s have turned into "mochen" thanks to the Austrian accent.

And I am actually still waiting on Austria (and Germany!) so I am in pretty much the same boat that you are! I applied Germany ETA, did you as well? Or are you doing research? Interesting that we have the possibility of being in the same cohort group...

Does anyone know if all countries interview their recommended candidates? I have not heard a peep from Spain....

not all countries do. I was not interviewed at all. Also does anyone think we could recieve emails on saturday or only during weekdays?