Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

was just accepted to a western european ETA program. subject line was "Fulbright (Country) Acceptance".

so it's begun...  B)

I know you're feeling like such a boss right now :)

Congrats! Which country will you be going to?? 

Are any of you also waiting for notification from DAAD for studies/research in Germany? Sadly, I decided to log in to the DAAD application portal today and I saw the dreaded words "application rejected" under application status. :'( Although I haven't heard from the DAAD directly yet, I'm not going to get my hopes up after seeing that. BUT, luckily I'm still a finalist for Fulbright, and I'm kind of curious if anyone on here can confirm this--a few people that I know said that, since the DAAD and Fulbright grants are both decided by the same committees, it's possible that the DAAD could have rejected my application if they considered my Fulbright application to be exceptionally strong (which, presumably it was, since I got two letters of affiliation from faculty at the German university). Are any of you past applicants lurking around that would like to share your experiences? (i.e. did any of you get rejected by DAAD but still get the Fulbright?!) I'm just trying to find a gleam of hope here. Life was much less stressful before, knowing I was still a candidate for both fellowships... seeing the word "rejected" has officially killed my mood for the day.

Edited by psych_33

Are any of you also waiting for notification from DAAD for studies/research in Germany? Sadly, I decided to log in to the DAAD application portal today and I saw the dreaded words "application rejected" under application status. :'( Although I haven't heard from the DAAD directly yet, I'm not going to get my hopes up after seeing that. BUT, luckily I'm still a finalist for Fulbright, and I'm kind of curious if anyone on here can confirm this--a few people that I know said that, since the DAAD and Fulbright grants are both decided by the same committees, it's possible that the DAAD could have rejected my application if they considered my Fulbright application to be exceptionally strong (which, presumably it was, since I got two letters of affiliation from faculty at the German university). Are any of you past applicants lurking around that would like to share your experiences? (i.e. did any of you get rejected by DAAD but still get the Fulbright?!) I'm just trying to find a gleam of hope here. Life was much less stressful before, knowing I was still a candidate for both fellowships... seeing the word "rejected" has officially killed my mood for the day.

I'm sorry for your disappointment, but I'm keeping my fingers EXTRA-CROSSED that it's only because you have a Fulbright waiting for you!

Hello everyone!

I have been following this forum for a long time and this is my first time posting. I am applying to do a public health research project in Japan. Is there anyone else who is applying to Japan as well? I would love to hear about your project!

Also, does anyone else have to get IRB approval before doing their research? I am weary about starting the IRB process if there is no gurantee that I will be accepted.

I haven't heard anything about getting IRB approval (applying the India research grant) but certain topics like archaeology and the like have to get clearance for certain archives and other kinds of access. Good luck to you! I currently live and work in Japan, where are you planning to go to?

I'm sorry for your disappointment, but I'm keeping my fingers EXTRA-CROSSED that it's only because you have a Fulbright waiting for you!

Aww, thank you! I really hope so!

Edited by psych_33

was just accepted to a western european ETA program. subject line was "Fulbright (Country) Acceptance".

so it's begun...  B)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

May the acceptance games begin!! 

I haven't heard anything about getting IRB approval (applying the India research grant) but certain topics like archaeology and the like have to get clearance for certain archives and other kinds of access. Good luck to you! I currently live and work in Japan, where are you planning to go to?

Since Japan doesn't have anything equivalent to the IRB I really dont need to get IRB approval to do my project, but if I want to public my data in the states then I need to get it. However, it is a very long and tedious process to to make the interview questions, get them professionally translated and then the actual IRB process so I don't want to start until I know whether or not I am accepted. And thanks :) ! Good luck to you as well!

For Japan, you can't contact Japanese universities ahead of time so I have no idea where I will be going lol. What do you do in Japan?

Maybe a dumb question but does anyone know what time of day the emails are usually sent, if there's any kind of pattern there? What I really mean is, what time of day should I be frantically refreshing my email?

For Japan, you can't contact Japanese universities ahead of time so I have no idea where I will be going lol.

For Japan, the affiliation that you sent with your application generally sets the university in the case of study/research fellowships. You had to send in a faculty affiliation with your application, right?

Since Japan doesn't have anything equivalent to the IRB I really dont need to get IRB approval to do my project, but if I want to public my data in the states then I need to get it. However, it is a very long and tedious process to to make the interview questions, get them professionally translated and then the actual IRB process so I don't want to start until I know whether or not I am accepted. And thanks :) ! Good luck to you as well!

For Japan, you can't contact Japanese universities ahead of time so I have no idea where I will be going lol. What do you do in Japan?

Oh you know, the usual teach-English-translate-Japanese-goof-around-JET-Programme gig. I live in Nagasaki and Nagasaki University is really well known for its public health and tropical medicine/infectious disease school, if that's something you've looking for. I know a lot of people who do freelance translation who could probably give you an estimate on how long (and how much) it would be. 

For Japan, the affiliation that you sent with your application generally sets the university in the case of study/research fellowships. You had to send in a faculty affiliation with your application, right?

For my application, (I'm a graduating senior if that makes a difference), we were actually told not to reach out to anyone in Japan before being accepted (unless you were doing a life sciences related project). I think Japan's application is unique in that way.

Oh you know, the usual teach-English-translate-Japanese-goof-around-JET-Programme gig. I live in Nagasaki and Nagasaki University is really well known for its public health and tropical medicine/infectious disease school, if that's something you've looking for. I know a lot of people who do freelance translation who could probably give you an estimate on how long (and how much) it would be. 

Do you mean how much/how long it would be for me to get my master's degree in Japan? That would be really useful! I've always contemplated geting a degree in Japan and also do professional translating on the side.

Yay to the first two accepted! Hoping we get another batch before the weekend... Austria, Finland, UK, which country gonna be next?!

I think a lot of us were expecting Ireland first!  Rockermaster, still no news??  

I vote UK next! Oh.. actually that's just wishful thinking. They're still interviewing.  Which reminds me: If anyone applying to the UK has an interview scheduled AFTER Monday the 9th, can you PLEASE post it on the spreadsheet?? Even if you do it anonymously without making an account. As far as any of us can tell so far, that's the last interview date for the UK!  I'm going to try not to refresh my email quite as often until I know interviews are over.  ;)

Edited by RosyPosy68

I hope we hear soon. I am so excited to hear something. I hope Hungary is next ! Who knows. I am refreshing my email every 10 min

I am even periodically checking my spam folder, which is silly, but you never know!!!!!  I don't want to miss anything.

I am even periodically checking my spam folder, which is silly, but you never know!!!!!  I don't want to miss anything.

. . . I have been doing the exact same thing!

I'm personally hoping they don't reveal the status of my application right in the email's subject line; I'd like to see that I got an email from the Fulbright, and then take some time to put myself in a serene mental state before I read it.

I think a lot of us were expecting Ireland first!  Rockermaster, still no news??  

I vote UK next! Oh.. actually that's just wishful thinking. They're still interviewing.  Which reminds me: If anyone applying to the UK has an interview scheduled AFTER Monday the 9th, can you PLEASE post it on the spreadsheet?? Even if you do it anonymously without making an account. As far as any of us can tell so far, that's the last interview date for the UK!  I'm going to try not to refresh my email quite as often until I know interviews are over.  ;)

Nope. I still haven't heard anything official, though I'm starting to freak out now. I just saw on Facebook that a professor at my alma mater got a US Scholar award to Ireland... Yet I haven't heard anything yet!

Nope. I still haven't heard anything official, though I'm starting to freak out now. I just saw on Facebook that a professor at my alma mater got a US Scholar award to Ireland... Yet I haven't heard anything yet!

Don't worry!!! I know that for several countries the Scholar awards go out quite a bit before the student awards!!!!