Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

Oh no, I'm so sorry Meowsica. Devastation was what I felt back when I got rejected form Fulbright (three times) and it was very, very painful. However, what helped me was to realize that this is just one of the many, many hurdles that I will have to go through in life. And there's no good time for rejection, but it's so necessary to build up our resilience and determination.

If it made you feel any better, when I was rejected my first time I actually got a Boren scholarship to go to Taiwan, which was one of the best experiences of my life. Then when I got rejected a second time, I got a job away from my home state (MN) and moved to California. When I was rejected a third time, I got a position teaching English in Korea (but then miraculously I got a phone call from Jonathan that made my Fulbright dream come true).

Life is beautiful, and life is full of opportunities for those who are brave enough to risk their time and feelings to get it. Keep up your spirits! If you were truly meant for it, it will come. Trust me.

YOU ARE WONDERFUL. Its weird I feel like I know you because I have read the past Forums   :P  Sorry all for not doing Multi quotes  

I was just told yesterday that I am an alternate... More ambiguity, hurray.  (Actually, I think this is best for me at the moment, because I spent a whole month biting my nails about the Fulbright when I should have been finishing my dissertation.  If I was selected, I'd probably be so ecstatic and spend all the time searching for housing and attempt all 7868576923874 things to do to prepare for the move, thus effectively avoiding my real work to do.  

Stopthat, sorry to hear that you've got more ambiguity ahead. I can relate to the tug-of-war between work that needs to get done (my MS thesis) and the more exciting possibility of the Fulbright. Your ability to see the silver lining is encouraging, and I hope that if I get an alternate or rejection letter, I'll be able to face it with the same level of composure as you.

Is anyone else out there waiting on nepal research selections? Whyyyy is it so far after last years notification date? *sadface*

GCF999- I hear you! I'm waiting on Nepal ETA which has historically been notified the same day as Nepal Research.  Getting very impatient at this point especially because I have to make decisions on other opportunities in the next two weeks.

For those of you who have been offered - does anyone else find it a little bit weird that you're not allowed to travel post grant but have to return asap/directly to the U.S.? Any insights as to why this is?

And are they are any alumni who have successfully been able to get around this requirement? If so, how? What did you do, etc.

LizM and GCF999- I'm also waiting on research in Nepal! Did either of you interview with the Fulbright Commission there via Skype? They told me that I'd probably hear back in early April...so hopefully that means soon. I was hoping for this week but I'm not sure if that's going to happen. I also have to get back to other job/scholarship applications within the next week or two. 

For those of you who have been offered - does anyone else find it a little bit weird that you're not allowed to travel post grant but have to return asap/directly to the U.S.? Any insights as to why this is?

I assume the reason is that the eventual benefits of your time on the Fulbright are supposed to accrue not just to you but to the United States, and as such that it's a political requirement in order to maintain the ongoing public funding and make the outcomes clear.

Now that it's finally April, I'm really starting to believe "any day now." Checking my e-mail everyday with heavy expectations can not be good for my health. :')

Sadly, that's what I've believed since March 1st...going on day 33 of insanity. But really, it must be any day now

To past the time, what drew you to your application country?

Ooo this is a good distraction. 

I am an ETA applicant to Jordan, and growing up a few of my closest friends were from Jordan and Lebanon. I spent a decent amount of time hearing the Arabic language, and so when I entered Uni to study Linguistics, I chose Arabic as my non-Indo European language of study for my degree. As it goes, studying the language got me much more interested in the region, and I studied abroad in Morocco. Following graduation, I also did an internship in the West Bank of Palestine. I've wanted to go to Jordan for a really long time, and think this is a great opportunity not only to develop professionally, but to garner critical language skills and intercultural experience! Yay! 

.... okay Jordan, you can send out notifications now.

Edited by jadesg1

To past the time, what drew you to your application country?

I like this game! I've been enamored with all things former Soviet Union since I was 18. I took Russian throughout my undergrad and did my study abroad in Russia. I've become a connoisseur in culture around the Soviet Union and can drink up information on it by the gallon. For many, many years I made a point to learn very little about the Caucasus because I knew once I started, it would basically consume my life (I was right). I do nonprofit work primarily in education (I've been in charge of after school programs, helped refugees pursue their education once they come to the United States, and been a mentor for teenagers in the North Caucasus). As of now, I'm a consultant for a series of private schools in rural Kyrgyzstan (I'm helping them market and build an English language program for their kids). Fulbright seemed a good way to merge what I love (former Soviet Union) with what I'm actually good at (helping kids).

That being said, the South Caucasus is just about my favorite place in the world that I've seen. I haven't been to Azerbaijan yet, but I've seen Georgia and Armenia... and Georgia just sparkles. I love everything about it- music, mountains, wine. Just google the pictures and you'll agree. And try the food. 

To top it off, it's small and quiet and mom doesn't object to me being there (anymore). 

Edited by mekkababble1

Did any of you just receive an email from Fulbright about saving the date for pre-departure orientation? I'm sure they send them out to all recommended applicants, but I figured it was worth checking on.

Also, so not cool for Fulbright to be sending out emails at this point that aren't decisions (do they want me to die an early death?)

Did any of you just receive an email from Fulbright about saving the date for pre-departure orientation? I'm sure they send them out to all recommended applicants, but I figured it was worth checking on.

Also, so not cool for Fulbright to be sending out emails at this point that aren't decisions (do they want me to die an early death?)

I got it too. So rude, haha. 

I didn't get the email.  Uh oh. :/ Maybe it depends on your region? I'm South/Central Asia. What region are you guys in?