Fulbright 2015-2016

Oliebollen

AFAIK there are only three documents to submit to the IIE portal for Japan: Data Release, Grant Document (the one page form with yen amounts as far as I can tell), and Terms and Conditions. I submitted Data Release 3/21, and it still hasn't been approved. I submitted Terms and Conditions 4/1, and that was approved right away. No rhyme or reason as far as I can tell. I did submit the Grant Document and that hasn't been approved yet either.

Thanks!  Yes, appears to be no rhyme or reason.  My grant doc. was finally approved today.  

So before we found out Taiwan research notifications yesterday, I had emailed Jonathan Akeley and he just replied with this

" At the present time we are still waiting for the final selection approvals for the ETA program in Taiwan."

Sigh...

Edited by rockrmoose

Long time lurker, checking in and looking for some advice. I am a hopeful SSA research grant and, although Fulbright remains my first choice, I was also selected for a teaching assignment with a different program in the same region that I intend to do my research with Fulbright. I remain ecstatic to have been selected for my teaching assignment, but this was more of a back-up plan in case I did not get my Fulbright grant. The dilemma I face is my teaching assignment needs to know whether I accept this position by the end of next week.

Looking through the spreadsheet, SSA has been consistent for a few years in sending notifications after mid-April. However, I have noticed a consistent trend that many regions are being notified slightly earlier than in previous years. I am not much of a risk taker, but this seems to be a justified risk with Fulbright. The risk is even more worthwhile since my research with Fulbright directly relates to my career aspirations whereas my teaching position is a place holder and an opportunity to build more experience and contacts within the region. 

In brainstorming, I have considered contacting administration with my teaching position and asking for a week (or two?) extension on the deadline. I also wonder if there is precedent in accepting the teaching position, but--in the case I am selected for Fulbright--reneging on my teaching position agreement. This is a distant option since this reflects poorly on my character. A better option I have considered is to send a formal and polite email to the Fulbright regional director to get a better grasp on the notification timeline and (possibly) whether turning down the teaching assignment and rolling the dice with Fulbright is worth the risk. Although I do wish (as most of us probably do) that there is more certainty on a precise date of notification, I also don't want to give the impression that I am impatient and potentially a bad fit for the research position.

Am I overthinking this? Any advice from you all would be greatly appreciated.

Long time lurker, checking in and looking for some advice. I am a hopeful SSA research grant and, although Fulbright remains my first choice, I was also selected for a teaching assignment with a different program in the same region that I intend to do my research with Fulbright. I remain ecstatic to have been selected for my teaching assignment, but this was more of a back-up plan in case I did not get my Fulbright grant. The dilemma I face is my teaching assignment needs to know whether I accept this position by the end of next week.

Looking through the spreadsheet, SSA has been consistent for a few years in sending notifications after mid-April. However, I have noticed a consistent trend that many regions are being notified slightly earlier than in previous years. I am not much of a risk taker, but this seems to be a justified risk with Fulbright. The risk is even more worthwhile since my research with Fulbright directly relates to my career aspirations whereas my teaching position is a place holder and an opportunity to build more experience and contacts within the region. 

In brainstorming, I have considered contacting administration with my teaching position and asking for a week (or two?) extension on the deadline. I also wonder if there is precedent in accepting the teaching position, but--in the case I am selected for Fulbright--reneging on my teaching position agreement. This is a distant option since this reflects poorly on my character. A better option I have considered is to send a formal and polite email to the Fulbright regional director to get a better grasp on the notification timeline and (possibly) whether turning down the teaching assignment and rolling the dice with Fulbright is worth the risk. Although I do wish (as most of us probably do) that there is more certainty on a precise date of notification, I also don't want to give the impression that I am impatient and potentially a bad fit for the research position.

Blehhh I was kind of in a similar situation a few weeks ago. I had gone through a final interview for a dream job .. like the kind I would go for after I would return from a Fulbright, I was freaking out about having to decided between the two and didn't want to have bad character by wanting to ask for more time, didn't want to mention Fulbright and not get the job only to not get the grant and in return end up empty handed. 

I emailed Jermaine Jones asking about the time line (this was at the beginning of April) He just responded "If previous years are any indication, you’ll probably get word about the final decision reached on your application during the month of April. Unfortunately,I can’t give you a more defined timeframe than that."  I respect that as a response but it didn't help me. I didn't get the job so it kind of answered my problem for me. 

I have a feeling we should find out next week but the hard part is one can't really know for sure. I think I would wait it out until next week and hopefully we get a response, if not then maybe ask them if they could wait a week or two longer. 

Good luck its a stressful place to be in ! I feel your pain. 

I feel part of this will depend on the flexibility on the other program more than anything. As noted above, I don't think e-mailing Fulbright and asking for a notification timeline will get you too far. Having worked for government before, best we were able to tell people before final approval came out for anything was 'We're working on it and will get back to you soon. Please be patient.' The decision is made wether you're accepted or not, so it's doubtful they'd rescind it based on one email so no worries there. 

It sounds like you still have about seven days' leeway, so my advice (based solely on what you typed above and knowing nothing about the programs you're applying to) is to wait until the middle of next week and see if Fulbright sends you a decision and then email your other program and ask for an extension. But for the time being, it's already the weekend in SSA and nothing will be accomplished by asking anything today. 

Otherwise, hang back and join the remainder of us to play the waiting game. 

Blehhh I was kind of in a similar situation a few weeks ago. I had gone through a final interview for a dream job .. like the kind I would go for after I would return from a Fulbright, I was freaking out about having to decided between the two and didn't want to have bad character by wanting to ask for more time, didn't want to mention Fulbright and not get the job only to not get the grant and in return end up empty handed. 

I emailed Jermaine Jones asking about the time line (this was at the beginning of April) He just responded "If previous years are any indication, you’ll probably get word about the final decision reached on your application during the month of April. Unfortunately,I can’t give you a more defined timeframe than that."  I respect that as a response but it didn't help me. I didn't get the job so it kind of answered my problem for me. 

I have a feeling we should find out next week but the hard part is one can't really know for sure. I think I would wait it out until next week and hopefully we get a response, if not then maybe ask them if they could wait a week or two longer. 

Good luck its a stressful place to be in ! I feel your pain. 

Thanks for your feedback -- hopefully we both make it to the orientation in DC. I feel plenty of empathy for the IIE staff because this time of year must be a complete pandemonium with communicating with the host country's embassy, our embassy, and getting all the documents in order. I definitely don't envy them. Anyways, fingers crossed in anticipation.

I feel part of this will depend on the flexibility on the other program more than anything. As noted above, I don't think e-mailing Fulbright and asking for a notification timeline will get you too far. Having worked for government before, best we were able to tell people before final approval came out for anything was 'We're working on it and will get back to you soon. Please be patient.' The decision is made wether you're accepted or not, so it's doubtful they'd rescind it based on one email so no worries there. 

It sounds like you still have about seven days' leeway, so my advice (based solely on what you typed above and knowing nothing about the programs you're applying to) is to wait until the middle of next week and see if Fulbright sends you a decision and then email your other program and ask for an extension. But for the time being, it's already the weekend in SSA and nothing will be accomplished by asking anything today. 

Otherwise, hang back and join the remainder of us to play the waiting game. 

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and spot on. Thank you my fellow waiter.

Thanks for your feedback -- hopefully we both make it to the orientation in DC. I feel plenty of empathy for the IIE staff because this time of year must be a complete pandemonium with communicating with the host country's embassy, our embassy, and getting all the documents in order. I definitely don't envy them. Anyways, fingers crossed in anticipation.

I hope so too ! Good luck !! 

So before we found out Taiwan research notifications yesterday, I had emailed Jonathan Akeley and he just replied with this

" At the present time we are still waiting for the final selection approvals for the ETA program in Taiwan."

Sigh...

Man, that's disappointing... I kept holding out hope we'd hear last night or sometime today. Honestly, with each passing day I keep getting more and more pessimistic  :(

Man, that's disappointing... I kept holding out hope we'd hear last night or sometime today. Honestly, with each passing day I keep getting more and more pessimistic  :(

Me too. I know that they seem to give all responses on the same day (some competitions inform their first choices first, then issue acceptances if they have awards declined, but that doesn't seem the case here) but my hopes are slowly deflating as the days tick by.

Hi everyone! Has anyone gotten the grant authorization document from the host country yet? For those with research fulbrights, do you know how get determine our research and living budgets? Also, how long after you got the notification email did you hear from your host country? Thanks!!

and now we are lapping last year's Malaysia announce... :(. pessimism game strong right now.

Two of the past five years it's come on a Saturday... So while I think unlikely, I'm now obsessively checking today...

Congrats to all those who have been accepted!

I'm a current ETA in Bulgaria, and would love it if you could take 3 minutes to watch a video my students created. We're trying to accomplish something BIG with the Pencils of Promise organization and would love your help spreading the word: https://fundraise.pencilsofpromise.org/buildthemaschool

Let me know if you have any questions about our quest to build a school!

Prospective Bulgaria ETAs (or anyone for that matter) - don't hesitate to reach out with questions about the ETA experience. You can reach me at michael.j.pelehach@gmail.com.

Launch Day blog update

I wanted to take the time to let you know how impressed I am with your project! Projects like yours are an incredible example of what the Fulbright program is all about! Congratulations to you and your students on all that you have achieved so far.  I read your blog and will be sharing your project on Twitter as well.  

Also thank you for thinking about us Fulbright hopefuls and giving me and others here a pleasant distraction while we (im)patiently wait on our notifications!

Research and ETA notifications for the same country usually come around the same time right? Since Taiwan research applicants got notified on Thursday, really hoping ETAs will find out this week....this is literally stressing me out, I can't even focus on the things that need my concentration now such as trip planning and working on my research project  :(

Edited by rockrmoose

Research and ETA notifications for the same country usually come around the same time right?

Often, yes - but the Spain ETAs found out on March 16th this year and I'm still waiting for the Spain Research decision - so maybe don't get your hopes up. :(

Edited by remenis

Research and ETA notifications for the same country usually come around the same time right? Since Taiwan research applicants got notified on Thursday, really hoping ETAs will find out this week....this is literally stressing me out, I can't even focus on the things that need my concentration now such as trip planning and working on my research project  :(

I'm right there with you! I have a feeling it'll be this week. What worries me is that I feel like the reason it hasn't come out yet is because there were a lot more Taiwan ETA applicants than previous years aka more competition... at any rate, I just NEED to know at this point so I can move on with my life, haha. If I don't get it, I'll be pretty devastated, but then at least I can make more concrete post-grad plans. This waiting game/limbo stage is the worst.

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has declined an ETA and then reapplied for research in the same country the following year. I am very interested in education policy, so when I was applying this year the ETA seemed right up my alley. However, over the past few months I have come up with a research project idea, and I have several contacts from studying abroad in this country. I think I could put together a cohesive, compelling project. 

I was wondering if declining the ETA would negatively influence my chances next year.

Also, I was accepted to do another program within this same country (Germany), and I will be spending the year there if I decline the ETA. I know "extended time" in a host country can be detrimental to an application. I am trying to figure out how detrimental it would be though. When I emailed IIE about it, they said that it could potentially hurt my application but then also said not to worry too much because there are so many grants available in Germany.  I also was thinking about the language requirements, and I know that spending the year there this upcoming year will really strengthen my German. The German Fulbright Commission strongly suggests Germany proficiency, so I also feel that many of the people applying probably have spent at least some time there just to get to that level of German, and that my extra time may not stick out from other applications. I also feel that the contacts I make will hopefully be more of a value add to my application than the extra time there would take away from my application. Finally, I know that at the point when the application is due, I will only have had 2 months there, not the whole year yet.

Anyways, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this! Thanks! 

Any SSA applicants have any guesses or idea if we will hear next week or the week after ?! ..

I'm certainly hoping we find out this week! I prefer Monday ;) I have a lot of decisions to make that would depend on getting or not getting the Fulbright. On Wednesday we will be past the earliest notification date from previous years I believe...

I took a hiatus from reading the forum for a couple days and it definitely helped my sanity haha. I think it's safe to say we will find out in the next 14 days!