Stanford SHIPS

rync

10 hours ago, morifol said:

Oh come on. :) It's not that bad. I consider myself a strong candidate. One more year will only be growing in a different way in the worst case scenario.

Okay okay. I tend to humorously dramatize my current situations. But true. If not this year I have one more year to prepare. ?

8 hours ago, nicolemae said:

Yup. It's probably going to be sometime this week, if not today! I have been on edge all day. :wacko: 

(There is no nail-biting emoticon here. There should be!)

This is more so my emoji progression ??????⏳⌛?????

1 hour ago, carol64 said:

Has anyone contacted the school this week?

I haven't called since two weeks ago. I'm afraid to annoy them!

Edited by CIShopeful
Auto correct mistake

Hi there,

I am also an "alternate", anyone here was accepted on the first round? I am also wondering if they would reach us whenever a candidate rejects the offer or if we will hear again only after April 15th.

Does anyone know how many people got accepted?

Thanks

17 hours ago, LFG said:

Hi there,

I am also an "alternate", anyone here was accepted on the first round? I am also wondering if they would reach us whenever a candidate rejects the offer or if we will hear again only after April 15th.

Does anyone know how many people got accepted?

Thanks

I also wondered whether we'd have to wait until after 4/15. I did ask Grace a few questions, and learned that the alternates are not rank-ordered and are placed into opened positions only after considering the dynamics of incoming cohort. what's particularly unclear to me is whether SHIPS has a pool of alternates to be selected from after the yield becomes clear, or whether individual programs (Econ, History, ICE) have their own lists which they select from themselves. 

While SGSE seems like a huge school with many PhD research/study possibilities (Anthro, Econ, but also POLS, etc), I think it highly unlikely that each individual program has a sizable cohort of PhDs each year. I say this for several reasons: (1) they don't have many master's students (400ish compared to HGSE 800ish). So the demand for teaching assistants, but also the supply of PhD advisers, is kind of low. (2) SGSE doesn't accept new students into every program every year. One year they could admit two new PhDs in, say, history, while the next three years, none. 

I don't think I have ever seen anyone accepted on here into the sociology of education program. So I also have a sneaking suspicion that some programs are phantom--on paper but, in practice, not really fully implemented PhD training programs. 

Edited by flatnwhite

Hi guys! Sorry for the late post -- been traveling for a few weeks.  I was accepted -- a SUPER SHOCKER!  Stanford was my dream school when I was applying on the master's level a few years back, so I can't express just how stunned I was/still am with the acceptance letter.

I am so thrilled to have gotten in, but it seems like no one else on this lovely thread was admitted, which makes me a bit sad. :mellow: I'll try to nag people during admitted student's day to hurry up and withdraw their offers, so that everyone else waiting can get a chance!...

hats off to you! that's excellent. which program in SHIPS are you in, if you wouldn't mind sharing? feel free to be absolutely dreadful to the other admits to scare 'em all away! ;) it was courteous of you to drop by and check in. would be interested in hearing how admit day goes. enjoy it!

2 minutes ago, flatnwhite said:

hats off to you! that's excellent. which program in SHIPS are you in, if you wouldn't mind sharing? feel free to be absolutely dreadful to the other admits to scare 'em all away! ;) it was courteous of you to drop by and check in. would be interested in hearing how admit day goes. enjoy it!

I shall take it upon myself to be as dreadful as I can to the folks who state that they are likely to take up other offers instead! :P personally, i find it very painful when people drag it out and choose not to notify the schools until the very last minute, when they've already made their decisions.

and sure thing! i was admitted under the educational policy concentration.  what you mentioned about the 'phantom programs' does seem quite true, though... never thought of it that way. I can try and find out if it is any different when I go and check 'em out!

Just now, nicolemae said:

I shall take it upon myself to be as dreadful as I can to the folks who state that they are likely to take up other offers instead! :P personally, i find it very painful when people drag it out and choose not to notify the schools until the very last minute, when they've already made their decisions.

and sure thing! i was admitted under the educational policy concentration.  what you mentioned about the 'phantom programs' does seem quite true, though... never thought of it that way. I can try and find out if it is any different when I go and check 'em out!

Congrats on the acceptance and thank you for sharing.

Let's hope for the best! I have also applied to the educational policy concentration.

On 2/16/2016 at 7:15 AM, nicolemae said:

Congratulations on your fantastic acceptances nicolemae!  I saw on your profile that you have been accepted to UC Irvine in addition to Stanford and UCLA.  Will you be attending Irvine's admitted students weekend next week?  I am on the waitlist at Irvine and want to get a feel for who is likely to reject their offer and when.  Thanks!

On 2/16/2016 at 8:56 AM, nicolemae said:

Hi guys! Sorry for the late post -- been traveling for a few weeks.  I was accepted -- a SUPER SHOCKER!  Stanford was my dream school when I was applying on the master's level a few years back, so I can't express just how stunned I was/still am with the acceptance letter.

I am so thrilled to have gotten in, but it seems like no one else on this lovely thread was admitted, which makes me a bit sad. :mellow: I'll try to nag people during admitted student's day to hurry up and withdraw their offers, so that everyone else waiting can get a chance!...

When is admitted students' day? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/02/2016 at 7:10 PM, nicolemae said:

It is March 10 for doctoral students. Early April for master's students.

Hi Nicole,

Did you attend admitted students' day? How was it?

Has anyone else attended?

Thanks! 

Edited by LFG