Non-profit Management / Social Enterprise MBA

Lola1233

Has anyone here pursued a nonprofit management MBA or something specializing in social enterprise? I am a MSW (social work) candidate concentrating in management, administration and planning in social work and human services; however, I don't feel like much of a social worker and am thinking I could have chosen a better suited program for my personality. I am very interested in working for social enterprise organizations or these new hybrid nonprofits who operate with a business model (ex, Kiva). I've been told that social enterprise is interested in a MBA skill set and not so much interested in a social work education. 

I'd love to hear about anyones experiences with non-profit management MBAs, or this topic in general. Any info is be helpful -- I am new to the MBA world….

I would think that most MBA programs have some "social" / non-profit aspect to them. I know at UCLA, there was a wide range of final projects specifically for non-profits and NGOs. In those cases, advisors with experience in non-profits were specifically assigned to the project.

I am the co-founder of a job board for social enterprise jobs, so I know a fair amount about the space.  MBAs are popular in the field, especially since it's a really popular topic at the moment and more and more MBA programs are building social entrepreneurship into their curriculums.  That being said, jobs in social enterprise are similar to jobs in any other sector because they exist across sectors.  While an MSW might not be as transferable as an MBA, it doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to find a job.  It really just depends on the position, the company, and your experience.  

All the top programs would be a good place to get an MBA if you want to focus on social entrepreneurship:  Stanford, Harvard, NYU, Northwestern, UMichigan, Duke, MIT, Wharton, etc. 

I'm not familiar with Yale's mba program specifically - but any program that has a center devoted to social innovation or social entrepreneurship, specifically has it as a focus or talking point in their curriculum, and/or has at least a handful of classes devoted to the space would be a good bet.  And, in my experience, it looks like most of the top programs have that. 

While an MSW might not be as transferable as an MBA, it doesn't mean you wouldn't be able to find a job.  It really just depends on the position, the company, and your experience.  

Hailmary- thanks for the vote of confidence. I personally feel the skills are transferable. What I'm truly concerned about is getting my foot in the door. I'd imagine most hiring managers will see "MSW" and assume I'm a traditional social worker, i.e., case worker. I never see MSW listed on any job specs in this field. These organizations seem to be staffed by MBAs.