SAIS Applications and Fellowships

JHU SAIS has all candidates send materials for both applications and fellowships to the SAIS admissions office.  I am curious to know if the same committee that decides admittance also decides fellowship awards.  In that, does the committee examine all materials sent (i.e. essays for the WW Norton Fellowship and Priscilla Mason Fellowship and application essays)? Or do they decide acceptance first based on your initial application and then further examine your fellowship applications? 

This may seem a rather trivial question, but personally, all four essays I wrote for the application and fellowships give a much more rounded view than the two application essays alone.  

I am sorry, for which fellowships you wrote your essays? I thought JHU SAIS only required a form or two (depending on which campus you apply) for fellowship consideration. I wasn't aware of the fact that we have to write separate essays :(

Yeah man- some are intrinsic to the application, but there are a few that have separate requirements.  I think they are all due March 1 so no worries on deadlines.  Link: http://www.sais-jhu.edu/graduate-studies/admissions-and-aid/tuition-aid/fellowships/apply 

Here's the email from the university. Both the WW Norton and Priscilla Mason require separate applications.

Dear Prospective Student:

We are so pleased in your interest to study at Johns Hopkins – SAIS! As a leading institution in International Studies, we sincerely appreciate your interest in SAIS and wish you the best of luck as you apply for admission.

Another important aspect of applying to any program is the financing of your education.  As we prepare for the upcoming 2014-2015 academic year, we are thrilled to offer a number of fellowship opportunities. It is our pleasure to announce the 2014-2015 fellowships for which we are now accepting applications.

Please find attached the fellowship announcements for the W.W. Norton & Company and Priscilla Mason Fellowships. You are strongly encouraged to apply to the fellowships for which you are eligible. These fellowships will also be available at www.sais-jhu.edu under Fellowship Opportunities on the Financial Aid webpage.  The deadline for submission of materials is March 3, 2014. Materials may be submitted via email, fax or U.S. postal mail.

Please make sure to adhere to the parameters outlined in each announcement closely.  We humbly request that a read receipt be attached to any electronic submission. This will allow for fast and easy confirmation of receipt.

In addition, if you are interested in federal aid, please be sure to complete your 2014-2014 FAFSA at www.fafsa.ed.gov. The SAIS school code is E00474.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns pleased do not hesitate to contact us at saisfinaidinfo@jhu.edu.

Best Regards,

Office of Financial Aid

Johns Hopkins University

School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS)

Suite 314

1740 Massachusetts Avenue, NW

Washington, DC 20036

p: 202.663.5706

f: 202.663.7715

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a definite date for the release of admission results (SAIS)?

They have a pattern that they follow though for the last two years. It's always on the second week of March. Tuesday. and always later than 5pm EST. 

Hope I'm wrong though and they release it sooner.

Congratulations bjorntsui! I haven't received any notice from SAIS yet though. Maybe the Nanjing Center applicants get their notices first.

Katrun, I heard they send you an email notification first. Then, they snail mail the acceptance letter later on.

Congratulations bjorntsui! I haven't received any notice from SAIS yet though. Maybe the Nanjing Center applicants get their notices first.

Katrun, I heard they send you an email notification first. Then, they snail mail the acceptance letter later on.

They state on their website that they're aiming to let MA candidates know by the 14th. Might vary by specialization?

Hopefully a week from tomorrow we will all know then!

It says for all three programs (MA, MAIA, and MAIS) that they are sending results out on the 14th/15th...whiiiiich means now I'm checking my e-mail constantly.

A little off-topic... but when we attend grad schools like SAIS or what have you, what kind of attire is expected? Business casual or business professional or whatever?

Forgive my ignorance because I'm from the Northwest, and it's pretty laid-back over here.

A little off-topic... but when we attend grad schools like SAIS or what have you, what kind of attire is expected? Business casual or business professional or whatever?

Forgive my ignorance because I'm from the Northwest, and it's pretty laid-back over here.

I've been wondering the same thing, seeing as how my undergrad outfit was pretty much t-shirt and shorts or hoodie and jeans.  When you see pictures of classrooms they seem to be mostly in business casual dress.  I'm curious if that's just for the promotional photos or if it's actually expected.

I'm a current SAIS student and I can say that some students dress very casually and other dress up a bit. The DC/East Coast location and the fact that many students intern or attend events around town mean that most people dress nicely. And you don't see a lot of SAIS or Hopkins apparel worn around campus, at least not as much as at the state school where I went to undergrad.