School asking for hard copy transcripts

Calorific

Hi friends,

So I applied to a school which stated on its website that electronic copies of transcripts could be used to evaluate my application.

Middle of the game, awaiting a decision, the university mails me saying,

"We have reviewed your application for admission to graduate study, and are unable to proceed because of important transcripts missing from your application file. ....

Please mail the required transcript(s) as soon as possible ....:"

In their defense, I recently discovered they wrote on their website that the e'nic copies could be used for an initial review but the office of admissions will only consider the official transcripts...wheeze!

Thing is ordering transcripts from my undergraduate institution costs me a lot (approx $68 per copy) and given that I have not even gotten an interview notification yet, I am reluctant to blow away hard-earned money these days. I am also aware that there might be a silver lining regarding a decision giving their recent communication but I am just trying to keep my finances in check...

What do you suggest I do?

Call the school and talk to them, clarify exactly what they need, whether it can be electronic, whether they need official copies, etc, etc. Even if you already know, just call them to be 100% sure.

Also 68$ sounds absolutely RIDICULOUS for a transcript. That is prohibitively expensive and makes no sense. By comparison my grad and undergrad transcripts together cost me less than 30$. My first official transcript out of my grad school was free. If you never received a free official transcript from your school you should call and see if you can get one. Otherwise you can still call and plead economic hardship and see if that will get you anywhere. If you have a recent FAFSA on file, that might help. Good luck!

Hi roguesenna, thanks for the missive.

I am an international from a far away country so my undergrad uni factors costs of mailing stuff to USA with the actual transcript order. That explains the "RIDICULOUS" pricing you fumed at. I am as well exasperated by the crazy charge and that's why I chose the unis I applied to more carefully to ensure they at least accepted e'nic versions.

I will probs mail my transcript on Monday.

Aal izz well!!!

Hi friends,

So I applied to a school which stated on its website that electronic copies of transcripts could be used to evaluate my application.

"We have reviewed your application for admission to graduate study, and are unable to proceed because of important transcripts missing from your application file. ....

In their defense, I recently discovered they wrote on their website that the e'nic copies could be used for an initial review but the office of admissions will only consider the official transcripts...wheeze!

Thing is ordering transcripts from my undergraduate institution costs me a lot (approx $68 per copy) and given that I have not even gotten an interview notification yet, I am reluctant to blow away hard-earned money these days. I am also aware that there might be a silver lining regarding a decision giving their recent communication but I am just trying to keep my finances in check...

I believe you are referring to USC, right?

I had some hard time understanding their TOEFL requirement back in October. I called them and was told that since I am getting my degree in the US, the TOEFL requirement would be waved. Later on I discovered that I would have to take the exam because I haven't been enrolled in a school in the US for 4+ years... Quite confusing, but the school is awesome!

Good luck with your apps, you are applying to a couple programs I have also applied to

Hi friends,

If you can make the 68$ work, I'd send it.  There is a chance it may lead to nothing, but you don't want your lack of a transcript becoming the deciding factor.  don't make it any easier for them to disregard your application and make their interviewee numbers less.  essentially don't let this take you out of the running because they have to cut someone and this just makes it  easier.  Best of luck!

Hi roguesenna, thanks for the missive.

I am an international from a far away country so my undergrad uni factors costs of mailing stuff to USA with the actual transcript order. That explains the "RIDICULOUS" pricing you fumed at. I am as well exasperated by the crazy charge and that's why I chose the unis I applied to more carefully to ensure they at least accepted e'nic versions.

I will probs mail my transcript on Monday.

Aal izz well!!!

Ahhhh. that does explain it. Sorry friend. In that case, I agree with peachypie. Pay the 68$ because if you don't, you'll always wonder if you might have gotten in if you'd just forked it over. And if you do get in, that 68$ will pay itself off pretty quickly. It sucks now, but it's a worthy investment.

• 2 weeks later...