Jump to content
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What if you say YES and then wanna say NO?


Guest Guest
 Share

Recommended Posts

Guest Guest

I know the topic doesnt sound too nice. But what if I say YES to one of the schools that I already have an offer from and after 15th one of the other schools (which I prefer to the one that I have said yes to) offers me admission? Can I say NO to the school to which I had siad YES and then accept the new offer? IS that allowed? IF yes, will I be some kinda trouble for doing that? Your inputs folks! Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic has been addressed a few times, so I think I know the answer and the pros and cons. You can decline an offer you have accepted after the 15th. However, you need to have written release from the school you are unaccepting before accepting the other. The schools almost definitely will do this because there is no reason to MAKE you attend their school. However, downsides: you need to be VERY tactful if you need to do this to keep good relations with people you may see later at conferences. You need to decline the 1st offer ASAP so that they can try to let another student off their waitlist (either for admittance or funding). You may not get as good of funding from the school that accepts you late. It is not ideal, but if your dream school accepts you late, you may have to do it despite ethical concerns. You will not go to jail... It is nearly uncertain that they will not let you out... However, you are breaking a commitment to a school and a professor you have already told you will work with. It depends on how much the commitment and the better choice school mean to you. Either way, good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Guest

Thanks a ton PETRAL! The fact that I have an option of doing that is in itself a great relief. I have spoken to my potential advisor in the school that I will be saying YES to and he seems to be a great chap. My potential advisor in my dream school also informed me that he will let me know of the decision before the 15th as he understands my dilemma. I just wanted to clarify this to prepare for the worst case scenario. Appreciate your help buddy! :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So basically this is something that I have discussed with my advisor as much as possible--yes the anxiety of being a "professional" student is also gnawing at me too. He has pointed out that as of late many, many more students have literally jumped from their programs (even from the PhD. track) for better ones elsewhere. He has served on several faculty searches with many new PhD.s coming out with an M.A. and a PhD. from different places...and they still get pretty decent jobs. So the trend at the moment may be shifting from the old MA-PhD from one institution to one in which academics don't frown (as much) on the whole transferring between programs. The important thing about transferring is taking into consideration the possible time (more time) that it would take to get the PhD. I'm technically going back on the gradschool market in 2yrs to continue on with the PhD--got rejected from PhD programs but got into an M.A. with good prospects of getting the PhD. So breath!--even as I hyperventilate over my gradschool future. takecare

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it's much more easier when you change your mind before April 15th. You will need a release letter from the first university only when you want to say NO after April 15th. I read it in the paper Brown sent to me.

I haven't been in this situation but I was in a kinda opposite one. I said NO then haD to reverse my reply to YES. Really stressful. :shock:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Guest

Oh man talk about stress! In fact I will be accepting an offer (for a PhD) just coz this is the best of the lot that I have at the moment and not necesarily my preferred one! But I am hoping that my dream school will get back to me as I was told that I have a pretty good chance. But then, I dont wanna miss out on the one that I already have.

Just a follow up question - How DIFFICULT is it to get that release letter from the school whose offer I will be accepting but to whom I will have to say NO (after 15th April)? Will the department issue that or the graduate studies office or?? Any ideas on this one? Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Capriccio:

How'd that happen?

I received a fellowship from a goverment agency. So, according to its policy, I cannot make the decision by myself. I knew about this policy after I had accepted Brown's offer and rejected the rest. The fellowship agency called me and said that "we will decide and if we don't allow you to go to Brown, and because you rejected the others, you will stay at home". :( So I had to email all the universities that I had just declined and said that it was my mistake declining their offers. :oops: :shock: This fellowship sucks !!! :x

Now I'm waiting for the decision from fellowship boss and advisor. :?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Here's the deal: we're all going to graduate school, not the army. People leave graduate schools just like they leave jobs, and there's nothing to prevent you from doing that. Of course, schools are going to discourage you from changing your mind, but ultimately the choice is yours. There are no repercussions above and beyond maybe burning your bridges. Depending on how large or small your field of study is that will mean next to nothing or a great deal when it comes to looking for jobs later on. That being said... being tactful about it will likely go a long way towards smoothing the process. If the school you are leaving and the school you want to join have some sort of agreement regarding this then you will need to get a release letter before the new school will let you in. But in the end no school wants to force a student to go there if they don't really want to be there, so if it is handled well I can't imagine any school denying you a release letter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 10 months later...
It's unethical for a school to offer you admission after April 15th, so hopefully you shouldn't be put in this position.

Not true. It isn't unethical. Often people get offered admission after April 15 when they're on the waitlist and other candidates turn the school down opening up slots and funding.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.