Student Government

NuclearFlea

Hi Everyone!

This is a question for anyone who is currently in or has completed graduate school, especially if you did Student Government in undergrad or grad.

I am going into a PhD program in engineering next fall.  I served in my undergrad school's student government association, and I really enjoyed the experience and would like to continue doing it in graduate school.  I started late in my undergrad, but I would like to continue and reach higher positions than just Senator.  Possibly even President?  I wanted to ask if you all think this is possible, time-wise?  Especially for STEM fields, how much extra time does one have for extracurriculars like Student Government? 

Are any of you in grad school and doing student government?

Thanks.

I am. 

Didn't do anything my first semester, but I started serving on our graduate student association my second semester, and have since. I've held a lot of leadership positions since, and it's been a fantastic look inside our University- I'm a familiar basis with a lot of our senior administrators, and actually feel like I'm in a position advocate and help our graduate students. 

That said, it's a really large time commitment, in general. I tend to take the time out of my personal life, to a degree, and being externally funded makes me feel like I can take more time to do things that I consider career development that aren't directly related to how I get paid, and I think the administrative experience will be valuable for what I want to do down the road. 

I do get a big of friction sometimes when I have a really busy week of meetings, but I've started being able to bring information back to the department that they aren't getting from other sources, and that's eased things a bit. 

As it is currently though, I probably spend 10-25 hours a week between meetings, contact time in answering e-mails or reading documents, and more meetings. 

Sure. But I don't get to eat breakfast and lunch a large number of days, and work weekends and late a lot of nights. 

There's no way you can spend a significant chunk of time on something without it effecting something else in your life, it's just to what degree and whether the specific tradeoff is worth it. 

It's also going to be very personally dependent, I've seen a lot of people that can't balance the two (or 3 or 4). Good time management skills help. 

Sure. But I don't get to eat breakfast and lunch a large number of days, and work weekends and late a lot of nights. 

There's no way you can spend a significant chunk of time on something without it effecting something else in your life, it's just to what degree and whether the specific tradeoff is worth it. 

It's also going to be very personally dependent, I've seen a lot of people that can't balance the two (or 3 or 4). Good time management skills help. 

That is good to know.  I already am doing the same (i.e. working weekends and nights) during undergrad as a student government senator plus my classes, etc.

Do you think you could be president?