How are YOU picking a program?

Lifesaver

Long story short, I'm having a hard time deciding where to go to school in the fall. I applied to seven schools and have been accepted to four so far with no rejections as of yet. That said, I've been accepted to, what I believe to be, my first and second choices, but I'm really concerned about experiencing the "shoulda, woulda, couldas" either when I get there and/or graduate. For science majors, it's an easy pick - you go to the school with the lab doing research you're most interested in, with the PI you adore, who have wonderful contributions and publications. Art majors, same thing. Us? How do we pick? How can you determine who makes the best helpers/doers/therapists/policy changer? Sure, I could look at the USNews rankings, which I did, but who says they're right? Do I pick the school with the best name to look pretty on my resume? Do I pick the school in the city in which I'll be most comfortable? Do I pick the school with less prestige that gave me some funding? How are you guys going about this? 

Help.

I'm a "science person" but here's my advice anyway:

1) Funding for me would be HUGE. Unless I completely fell in love with a more expensive program, this would be the most important to me. Not having as much debt will be much easier for you in the long run.

2) Location is important. I didn't apply to any schools in areas I knew I wouldn't want to live in (NYC, for example). You're pretty much choosing this place for the next few years of your life- make sure you can at least tolerate it.

3) I wouldn't go off rankings. A lot of times, they don't really mean much. From what I'm told, where you got the degree (to a certain extent, of course) doesn't matter - its what you did while you were there. Do any of your schools have stand out internship/experience/etc programs?

My last bit of advice - trust your gut. I know it sounds stupid, but when I chose my undergrad, one just felt "right"- even though it wasn't as high of a ranking. And I've had experiences here I would not have been able to have elsewhere.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

I'm a "science person" but here's my advice anyway:

1) Funding for me would be HUGE. Unless I completely fell in love with a more expensive program, this would be the most important to me. Not having as much debt will be much easier for you in the long run.

2) Location is important. I didn't apply to any schools in areas I knew I wouldn't want to live in (NYC, for example). You're pretty much choosing this place for the next few years of your life- make sure you can at least tolerate it.

3) I wouldn't go off rankings. A lot of times, they don't really mean much. From what I'm told, where you got the degree (to a certain extent, of course) doesn't matter - its what you did while you were there. Do any of your schools have stand out internship/experience/etc programs?

My last bit of advice - trust your gut. I know it sounds stupid, but when I chose my undergrad, one just felt "right"- even though it wasn't as high of a ranking. And I've had experiences here I would not have been able to have elsewhere.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Yes to all. Funding and location might be a tossup, somebody early posted about being in the perfect program, but in a location that was slowly killing them (small town in the South).

I actually had this same issue last year and was super torn between going to usc or a state college. I have talked to many, many people about this and it really did come down to the price tag. All MSW programs must be accredited so they are all basically the same. A lot of MSW professors who did go to USC tells me that it isn't where you go but what you put in your program that makes the difference. And in all honesty, social workers don't graduate and immediately earn six figures so paying 90k for two years of grad school is ridiculous.

Perhaps I'm an exception to the normative rule (since I've been graciously blessed with a program that will fully fund me through graduate school), however here are some of the things that helped me narrow down my choice of school: 

1.  Since I currently live and work in Boston with my wife (who also works full-time), I knew it'd be extremely difficult to up and move once my job ends this summer to move elsewhere for graduate school.  Thankfully Boston is blessed with great MSW programs such as BC, BU and Simmons so I applied just to schools here in Boston.

2.  As the first responder mentioned, location.  I literally live within walking distance of BC and a 10 min ride on the T from BU.

3.  With respect to narrowing down my decision between BC and BU, I looked at what each school has to offer me (e.g., any training certificates, electives and how many electives I'm able to take).  For me specifically, since I want to work with military and Veteran populations, I am very interested in classes and courses offered that pertain to these particular population cohorts.  BC, for example, has a "Veterans and Families Initiative" program where they offer classes and certificate programs related to Veterans and Trauma.  This was a huge deciding factor for me.

4.  If you have the chance to visit any of the campuses (or even better meet with any of the admissions staff), I'd highly recommend that.  Not only are you going to be living in the particular town/city for 2-3 years, but you'll also be spending a lot of time on-campus.  I personally prefer the suburban campus feel of BC vs. the more urban feel of BU.

Ultimately, as one of the responders to this thread said, it's all about "going with your gut".  As long as you do well in school, most employers won't necessarily care if you attended an Ivy League or well-known private university vs. small-town private (or public) university/college.

All in all many people who enter the field of social work do so because of some driving force or passion vs. earning $$$$.  As many of us know, social work programs are demanding both financially and academically so take into account the amount of financial aid you'll need.  Hopefully there are some scholarships or grants that you qualify for that could assist with lowering that financial burden.

I also like to pay attention to specialization/certification offerings. I was really drawn to BU's dual MSW/EdM program, with a specialization in special ed. I also enrolled in a SW class at BU last semester as a non-matriculating student to see how I liked it and to get a taste of balancing work and school. It was a really great experience. My friend went to Simmons a couple of years ago, so I was able to attend a couple of classes with him, which also offered a lot of insight into their program.

Hope that helps!

I spent some time on the phone today trying to wrap my head around things. I have more information, but I'm not even close to settled yet. This is what I've determined thus far:

School #1:

- Ivy League university, $42,000ish/year, tuition and fees.

- In a large, cold northern city, thus, very expensive rent.

- I am unfamiliar with this city.

- Has a certificate program (via fieldwork) in the field I hope to work in. However, I couldn't start the program til my second year.

- I am still unsure whether I can be rejected from that program because I have to apply for it. I'm waiting for an email back on that matter.

- Has more options in terms of electives.

- Fieldwork starts in the first semester.

- Likely a more challenging curriculum.

- Operates in 4 semesters; fall, spring, fall, spring.

- I feel so honored to have been accepted, but very intimidated by the concept of "ivy league."

- Half of my family live 2.5 hours away from this school by car.

School #2:

- Originally my top choice because I didn't think I was going to get into school #1. And I love it.

- I went to undergrad not far from this university in a large southern city. I loved living there.

- Expensive private school, but $30,000 less in tuition than school #1 (total, not per year).

- Has a great reputation.

- City is less expensive to live in than city of school #1

- Operates in 4 semesters, but in 16 months; fall, spring, summer, fall. Done a semester earlier than school #1.

- Everyone in the program takes the same pre-determined classes, minus three (or four?) elective courses.

- Fieldwork doesn't start til the spring semester.

- School of Social Work not on main campus currently (for building renovation reasons).

- Program may not be as rigorous as school #1, but school #2 has always been known for its community outreach mission.

- My best friend and boyfriend live within an hour away.

Thoughts? PM me if you want actual school names. I'm slightly paranoid about writing them on here.

Since there are only two Ivy League schools with MSW programs may I ask which program you are referring to? Penn or Columbia ?

I spent some time on the phone today trying to wrap my head around things. I have more information, but I'm not even close to settled yet. This is what I've determined thus far:

School #1:

- Ivy League university, $42,000ish/year, tuition and fees.

- In a large, cold northern city, thus, very expensive rent.

- I am unfamiliar with this city.

- Has a certificate program (via fieldwork) in the field I hope to work in. However, I couldn't start the program til my second year.

- I am still unsure whether I can be rejected from that program because I have to apply for it. I'm waiting for an email back on that matter.

- Has more options in terms of electives.

- Fieldwork starts in the first semester.

- Likely a more challenging curriculum.

- Operates in 4 semesters; fall, spring, fall, spring.

- I feel so honored to have been accepted, but very intimidated by the concept of "ivy league."

- Half of my family live 2.5 hours away from this school by car.

School #2:

- Originally my top choice because I didn't think I was going to get into school #1. And I love it.

- I went to undergrad not far from this university in a large southern city. I loved living there.

- Expensive private school, but $30,000 less in tuition than school #1 (total, not per year).

- Has a great reputation.

- City is less expensive to live in than city of school #1

- Operates in 4 semesters, but in 16 months; fall, spring, summer, fall. Done a semester earlier than school #1.

- Everyone in the program takes the same pre-determined classes, minus three (or four?) elective courses.

- Fieldwork doesn't start til the spring semester.

- School of Social Work not on main campus currently (for building renovation reasons).

- Program may not be as rigorous as school #1, but school #2 has always been known for its community outreach mission.

- My best friend and boyfriend live within an hour away.

Thoughts? PM me if you want actual school names. I'm slightly paranoid about writing them on here.

Perhaps I'm an exception to the normative rule (since I've been graciously blessed with a program that will fully fund me through graduate school), however here are some of the things that helped me narrow down my choice of school: 

1.  Since I currently live and work in Boston with my wife (who also works full-time), I knew it'd be extremely difficult to up and move once my job ends this summer to move elsewhere for graduate school.  Thankfully Boston is blessed with great MSW programs such as BC, BU and Simmons so I applied just to schools here in Boston.

2.  As the first responder mentioned, location.  I literally live within walking distance of BC and a 10 min ride on the T from BU.

3.  With respect to narrowing down my decision between BC and BU, I looked at what each school has to offer me (e.g., any training certificates, electives and how many electives I'm able to take).  For me specifically, since I want to work with military and Veteran populations, I am very interested in classes and courses offered that pertain to these particular population cohorts.  BC, for example, has a "Veterans and Families Initiative" program where they offer classes and certificate programs related to Veterans and Trauma.  This was a huge deciding factor for me.

4.  If you have the chance to visit any of the campuses (or even better meet with any of the admissions staff), I'd highly recommend that.  Not only are you going to be living in the particular town/city for 2-3 years, but you'll also be spending a lot of time on-campus.  I personally prefer the suburban campus feel of BC vs. the more urban feel of BU.

Ultimately, as one of the responders to this thread said, it's all about "going with your gut".  As long as you do well in school, most employers won't necessarily care if you attended an Ivy League or well-known private university vs. small-town private (or public) university/college.

All in all many people who enter the field of social work do so because of some driving force or passion vs. earning $$$$.  As many of us know, social work programs are demanding both financially and academically so take into account the amount of financial aid you'll need.  Hopefully there are some scholarships or grants that you qualify for that could assist with lowering that financial burden.

Hi nightwolf1129,

I am pretty much in the same boat like you. I live with my husband in Boston, and I have applied to BU, BC, and Simmons. I work full time at the moment and am trying to go to school while maintaining my job at the same time. I just got an acceptance from BC today from an email, but there is nothing about financial aid so far. Hopefully, there will be something in the mail in a week or two. Good luck with your application!

Hey sweetpiepear,

I'm excited that you received an acceptance from BC.  I thought BC doesn't send acceptances via email.  Hopefully they review my application soon.  Did you apply for advanced standing?

I believe information regarding financial aid comes separately.  Needless to say this news is both exciting and anxiety-provoking for me :)

Hey sweetpiepear,

I'm excited that you received an acceptance from BC.  I thought BC doesn't send acceptances via email.  Hopefully they review my application soon.  Did you apply for advanced standing?

I believe information regarding financial aid comes separately.  Needless to say this news is both exciting and anxiety-provoking for me :)

It was just a regular application. I applied on 12/29. I guess it's a little more than a month. They basically sent me an email to congratulate me and told me that an official letter will be mailed to me in a week or two. Breathe, breathe, and breathe...

Yeah the reason I ask sweetpiepear is my application was completed around the same time (12/26) for regular admissions, and I knew that they have a deadline of Jan 15th for advanced standing which results in those applications being reviewed first.  Trying to breathe and keep calm, but the anticipation is almost killing me here.......would be exciting if we were classmates this upcoming Fall :)

You are making me nervous for you too. hahaaa...Is BC your first choice? I am still waiting to hear from Simmons and BU. My coworker went to BU and said that they are very macro-concentrated. I may not go to BU then. Are you trying to do clinical?

I just got accepted to BC!!!! :)  Received an email this afternoon!  Yes BC was my first (and only) choice.  I'll be doing Clinical Social Work with a concentration in Health & Mental Health.  My goal is to become a LICSW working with Veterans and military Servicemembers (and their respective families) since I'm a Veteran and former military dependent.  I'm so excited to start this journey!  I currently work at the VA hospital here in Boston and my job ends at the end of the summer, so I'll easily be able to transition to graduate school. 

Great! I am happy for you. It sounds like you have a very interesting background. Perhaps they informed the good candidates first? Am I just crazy? Just kidding. I think there is a high demand in serving veterans. And the jobs pay really well too. I am going to focus on Children and trauma.