The credibility of a Sciences Po degree in the US

jorstadk

I recently got accepted to the Sciences Po masters program for next fall. I studied there as an undergraduate student for a semester on an exchange, and really liked the program (and living in Paris). I know it is a very renowned international school, but how credible is a Sciences Po degree back in the US looking for a job? There seem to be no statistics on what careers alumni pursue or unemployment statistics from Sciences Po.

I'm particularly interested in working for the US government or a US-based international organization after getting a masters. Does anyone know if Sciences Po is credible in the US system??

Thanks!

Hello!

I too have been accepted by ScPo for my masters. I am from India hence I have no clue about the prospects in the USA. Though I know few people are in the same situation as you.

The thing is it depends if you only are focused on US govt or US based INternational Organisation OR are you willing to explore other options like working in Paris or Geneva etc. Cuz the general consensus is that if you want to work in a specific country you should get your education from there, esp post grad. Pls don't take this literally cuz is am sure there will be MANY exceptions to it. But still, these are my two cents!

Apart from that, the school is quite recognised in the Social Sciences circle so I don't think you will face any problems regarding credibility.

• 2 weeks later...

I got accepted to Sciences Po for my masters for the fall. I too want to return to the US and work for the government or for a US based non-profit at some point. 

Jorstak, what was your opinion of their education system when you were there for undergrad? I know the French system differs a lot from the American system. Did you apply to schools in the US as well?

I have a contact with a professor who did Ivey league all the way through PHD and did the Harvard Kennedy School masters. He is well known in the International Affairs world. I am going to ask him about his perception of the value of a MA from Sci Po and job prospects in the US. 

What I have heard so far is that if you graduate from Sci PO and spend a few years in Europe getting experience it is no problem to return to the US. BUT if you intend to return immediately to the US you will be competing with all the recent grads from Johns Hopkins, Georgetown, Harvard, Yale, Columbia etc. I assume you would probably bump down a bit in competitiveness and be on the same level as the American Univerisity and George Washington grads. I am speaking specifically about the Washington D.C/New York sphere for job opportunities. I have to safe that is just the opinion I have gotten from several people but it would probably be best to talk to an HR person at an organization you are interested in. Most of the opinions I have gotten I felt were heavily tainted by the whole I went to this school so it was the best and I got a job with my connections so you have to do that too. In the end you are paying for two years of education and it has to be where you are happy and where you think it will take you to where you want to go.