Would you attend visitation days at a University you're not seriously considering?

bakalamba

I just received news that I was admitted to a Masters program at a University, after applying for the Masters and the PhD (they require a more significant thesis for admission to the latter, and guarantee that obtaining the Masters and PhD will only add one semester of coursework). It is a robust program, but they have very little funding for graduate students.

However, they do have visitation days, or recruitment days, and have a fund for transportation and lodging. I'm not seriously considering the school, as I have another offer with funding. My field (International Education Policy) is very small and I would like to meet faculty and graduate students working in it.

Out of curiosity, would you attend visitation/recruitment days at a University you're not seriously considering? Have you already?

I've been asked to visitation days as well for a Masters program but have decided not to attend 1) simply because of the fees and time commitment involved, and 2) because I have other programs that have accepted me and that I am more interested in.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I say take it as a free vacation (pending that there is funding for it haha) and a chance to see somewhere you have never been or seen. Who knows maybe you will decide you love the area and program and have a change of heart. Unless its a financial burden or you are risking your grades I say go for it!  

If I absolutely knew I did not want to go to this program (as you said, not seriously considering it), no, I would not take it.  It's not a free vacation.  The program is spending money on you with the expectation that you are using the visit as a way to decide whether or not to attend the program.  You may be taking funds from another person who wanted to visit to actually consider the program, but responded later than you.  Or the program could use the extra money towards a visit next year or towards one of their own doctoral students presenting a paper or poster at a conference or something.

If you are still considering, or there is a chance that you can change your mind - that's different, you should take advantage (if they cover your flight).  But I think it's somewhat unethical to take money for a visit weekend when you know you have zero intention of attending the specific program in question.