Multiple acceptance, but want to wait to make decision?

jla

Hi all- I'm new here and I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I can't find anything through searches! Thanks for your advice.

I'm applying to PhD Biostatistics programs and since yesterday have received 2 acceptance letters. But I would like to wait until I hear from all schools before making a final decision. What is the best way to go about this?

(My advisor is enjoying retirement and won't get to my emails for several days. Hence I'm coming to this great community.....)

Yeah, I'm in the same boat, but waiting to hear about funding before I make a decision. The places that I've been accepted know that I'm waiting to hear about funding, so they haven't given strict deadlines. If you have to make a decision, just email them that you'd like an extension, or accept and then withdraw later (kind of rude, but what can you do?).

Is the deadline to make a decision upcoming? If so, yeah. Tell them you're waiting for other responses before you make your final decision. Or is it some time in the future? If so, you can email them out of professional courtesy but it's not necessary.

How long does it take to hear about funding normally? Is it a matter of weeks or a matter of months?

Also, is a FAFSA required for every type of funding? I was confused since I thought that was for federal aid and that funding wasn't necessarily need based either?

I am in a similar situation with three acceptances so far. I emailed the DGS and POIs to express my elation, etc, and let them know that they will be given serious consideration. In one case, however, I declined their offer right away simply because the other schools are better. They all offered funding.