Accepted Early, but how do I delay?

SiSi26

Hi Everyone,

I was just accepted to a PhD program in Geography. I think it is early acceptance as I applied at the end of December and it is only early February now. The problem is that they require acceptance of the offer in three weeks. How do I say to them I need to wait to find out about the other schools and their offers? How long should I ask for? What is reasonable?

Thanks everyone!!

Edited by SiSi26

Quantum Buckyball - reaaaaally good to know. I had no idea about that difference. PhD acceptances at this uni always come with funding, which I am assuming have TA requirements. Do you think it would hurt to call them up and clarify all of this?

Edited by SiSi26

Quantum Buckyball - reaaaaally good to know. I had no idea about that difference. PhD acceptances at this uni always come with funding, which I am assuming have TA requirements. Do you think it would hurt to call them up and clarify all of this?

I would actually encourage you to call them and gain some clarity. It's imperative if you want to make the best decision for yourself. Good luck!

You have up to April 15th to decide if you want to go to that school or not. However, if you're getting some kind of financial support (TAship, RAship) offer, then you only have 3 weeks to make a decision and this offer can't be delayed. 

This is not necessarily true. There are schools that aren't signed on to the CGS resolution, and there are also schools every year that break it. It's a "gentleman's agreement", with no direct repercussions other than a growing bad rep for making students decide earlier. 

If the school says they have to decide in 3 weeks, they may well have to decide in 3 weeks, as much as that sucks. 

I agree with DarlingNikki - it wouldn't hurt to call them or send them an email. The worst they can say is that the decision time cannot be extended.

Did the offer letter explicitly state a date by which you have to make the decision? In my case, one of the programs that admitted me asked me to inform them "as soon as possible" about my decision. However, I wrote to my POI and asked him if they could give me a few weeks to make up my mind, as, although they were one of my top choices, I would like to wait until I heard back from other schools to be able to make a fully-informed decision. He said yes.