Has anyone been accepted into a program they did not "qualify" for?

Crucial BBQ

I was not sure where to put this.  It seems that many accepted and already attending users post in this forum, so...

Has anyone been accepted into a program where they did not meet all of the "required" undergraduate courses taken in preparation and/or had good, but not stellar, GRE and GPA? Perhaps because where one lacks in numbers and a course or two has been made up by research experience, specific ECs that could directly relate to the program, excellent LORs, and a solid SOP?

Just curious.   

I think that my cumulative GPA (3.42) was a bit low for my doctoral program, but I was accepted because I had very high GRE scores, a high major GPA (3.67) and pretty extensive research experience for someone at my stage (plus good LORs and solid SOP).

I think it's very common for a person to be a bit lacking in one area of the numbers game - lowish GPA or lowish GRE scores - but still be very successful because of an otherwise outstanding package.  I think it's far more difficult to overcome a lack of required undergraduate courses, although it depends on what they are.  For example, an applicant to my psychology department would not be admitted if they hadn't taken undergraduate statistics or undergraduate research methods, even if they otherwise had a pretty decent application package.  I doubt a social psychologist would be admitted if they had never taken social psychology.

But, my other department is a mish-mosh of social sciences in the service of public health.  And while they generally advise that you have taken social science courses, the department has admitted (in the master's program) everyone from biology and chemistry majors to English literature majors.  The doctoral program does tend to be a little more stringent - almost all of our doctoral students were social science majors in undergrad.  But I did have a friend who got a PhD in biostatistics who majored in chemistry in undergrad and got her master's in a social science before getting the PhD in biostats.

In sum - I think it depends on the course(s) that you are missing, and the type of program to which you are applying.

I'm currently finishing a degree that is low on the physics and calculus requirements, and I was admitted into a PhD program with full funding that required way more calc/physics than I have.  I figure that the rest of my application was above average enough to make up for the fact that I don't fulfill some of the prereqs.  My quantitative score on the GRE was 156 which isn't exactly spectacular but still above average. 

I think it really depends on how you sell yourself and how your LORs speak of you. 

As for my prereq deficiencies, I plan on completing a couple of the MIT open courseware courses to lessen the risk of being behind during my first semester.  I haven't recieved my official acceptance yet, so it's possible that I'll have to do the prereqs during my first year. 

I looked into the program in question a year ago.  The delinquent courses in question are differential equations, computer programming (I am assuming at least one intro class),  and two semesters of introductory physics with calculus.  It then goes on to state that not all students will require these courses.  However, an addendum was added in bold this year that specifically states that all applicants must have these things and that the previous comment about "not all students may need these courses" is to be overlooked (why they did not just update the website to reflect this is beyond me) and that even though a student may never use differential equations, let's say, the background knowledge is still deemed useful.  

Okay, I can understand that.  

Now, I did not take differential equations, but I did take a few higher level math courses in the 300 level.  These were theory type courses, proof and conjecture, that sort of thing.  I may have only done algebra-based physics, but I did take one year of calculus.  However, unless the program checks my school's catalog, I am not sure if they will know the difference. I have also taken a physical oceanography course.   

Aside from that, and medicare GRE scores, my preparation I feel is far more advanced than perhaps the majority of students that are also applying.  I was fortunate enough to have been in an undergraduate program that emphasized hands-on learning as much as lectures and "text book" learning.  Based on my own research, I know for a fact that I was doing things in my freshman and sophomore years that most students in this program/discipline in question do not do until their senior year, or grad school, if at all.  That is one of my strong points that I hope will trump everything else.  

I know that I have two strong LORs, with one being from a non-academic source.  

This is the only program I am applying to that does not state in any way that they do not apply a holistic approach to applications.  They also do not say that they don't, so.... :wacko:

I have read accounts, usually in the form of blogs or articles, from deans of graduate programs or professors who take on grad students claim they sometimes take on "poor" applicants if the applicant clearly demonstrates drive and tenacity.  My GPA and GRE may not be competitive, but I feel that my overall application is. 

Just wanted to hear some first-hand success stories.  Everyone is nervous this time of year. 

Edited by Crucial BBQ

I think there are no super strict rules with applications. The department might write some requirements (e.g. certain courses or majors) but since it's a department-level rule, the admissions committee might be able to waive these restrictions for some applicants. Perhaps the committee itself cannot, but the committee can bring it up at a regular department meeting and, with approval, they might be able to bend these rules. 

The more strict rules come from the University/Graduate School itself. Usually these rules are generic though because they apply to all graduate students would be things like a minimum GPA or a minimum score on English-language tests. But, in many places, the department can petition the graduate school for exceptions. Or, the student can be admitted and then be required to take certain English courses if their scores aren't high enough.

So, I think if you feel like you are competitive for a program, you should go ahead and apply and see what happens. There are no guarantees, but there never are with admissions! Unfortunately, at this point, all you can do is wait and hope for the best! Good luck :)

The program I was accepted to requires 2 semesters of Calculus, 2 semesters of chemistry, and 2 semesters of physics.  I was told by my POI that I would absolutely not get admitted without 2 semesters of Calculus, but I'm short 1 of those and I was still admitted. 

So...don't lose hope.  I was in the same position you are.  I just happened to hear back early on my 1st choice school, thankfully!