Skype Interview vs.In-Person

kscherer

I just received an invitation to interview at one of my top-choice programs three states away. Unfortunately, without a car, broke as only a student can be, and with the snow and ice from Nika, I'm not sure I'll be able to make it in person. Is there a reason (as far as making an impression) why I should be wary of requesting a Skype interview? Any thoughts are appreciated.

I think Skype has become a standard medium for interviews. There's no reason to feel wary about requesting for it. I think you can also cite your reasons, which to me appear very valid. A lot of students simply cannot afford to travel. If/When your request gets granted, you can always make great impressions on the virtual interview - dress up appropriately, prepare for the possible questions, practice how you're going to answer some of the most common questions like "why do you want to pursue this research/program?"  :)

I'll have an Skype interview on Monday. I could never afford a trip to the US now, so this is my only option, really. I think in person interviews are easier in the sense you can "conect" to the interviewer faster, it's obviously more personal. In the other hand, without Skype (and similar technology), I would never even apply for a PhD abroad! So, I'm ready for all sort of questions as I would for a in person interview, and, also,  ready for possible technical issues: 3 laptops prepared, should do it, right? =) 

I really think that Skype interviews can be just as effective as an in person interview, I have even obtained a great job that way.  It is all about how you present and conduct yourself in the interview.  For my recent grad skype interview, I made sure there was a nice clean backdrop, did not wear any clothing that would become too bright or distracting and had lights on me to make my image crisp without harsh shadows.  Also, I propped my computer up so that the camera was at eye level... looking directly into the camera and not the moving image on the screen as much as possible. that takes some getting used to. .  The great thing i like about skype is that I can have post-its notes hiding on my screen so that I can remember what I felt was important to mention and what questions I had for them. 

Maybe because I'm an art person I understand that that is what they see and perceive on the other side (but i also worked in admissions for a while) Really as far as a clean backdrop goes,  I didnt want them judging me based on my surroundings.  I wanted them to focus on me. 

However, I must mention that I am very comfortable with Skype because I use it to connect with family and friends abroad so much.  I am naturally relaxed in front of the camera and it pays off.  So, I would suggest having mock interviews with friends who have skype to help you get accustomed to a 20-30 minute session.   

I actually found that Skype was a better quality call than my crappy prepaid cell service. And if the interview is short, then it does save on having to go all that way just for a 10-20m chat. Plus this way you get to be in your PJs. :) I didn't have a video call though. That would have been more stressful!

Definitely wear headphones. They don't have to have a mic too but it helps prevent that tinny, "digital" feedbacky quality to the sound.

Wow, thanks for your responses! I'm going to use one of the conference rooms provided by our business department for job interviews, so hopefully that should help with the backdrop and the noise issues. 

Wow, thanks for your responses! I'm going to use one of the conference rooms provided by our business department for job interviews, so hopefully that should help with the backdrop and the noise issues. 

I did the exact same thing. Hope things work out! Make sure you don't have any meetings immediately before or after the interview. Believe me, you are gonna wanna to talk it out with someone after the interview. Good luck!  :)