Possible to switch advisors/ research area after accepting offer?

md152

I was torn between two sub disciplines and went with my gut. The more I have been looking into the school/program , the more I am starting to feel like I would rather go a different route as far as my research goes within the same department.

I was torn between two sub disciplines and went with my gut. The more I have been looking into the school/program , the more I am starting to feel like I would rather go a different route as far as my research goes within the same department.

Where does your funding come from ? Is that person taking on students? If that person is A) taking on students and B) you are funded by the department i dont see why not, but Its a bit weird as often times they use departmental funding as a way to give professors who might be on an off grant year another student to get funding with. 

I would say that most people's research & PI interests shift a little bit between the time they submit their applications and when they start grad school. It is also common for incoming grad students to do a lab rotation and realise that they weren't interested in the PI they thought they were. So honestly, I wouldn't worry. Reach out to the PIs you are interested in to determine if they're taking on students and sound interested in YOU.

depends on your program, funding, and overall situation. In History it seems (relatively) common enough, but that doesn't mean it applies to all disciplines. You might be better off asking people in your field, and if possible, people already in the program at the school in question.