2014 Geography Results

JewishSombrero

Hello geographers!

February's here. Let's get the ball rolling! Thought I'd start a place where we can celebrate, compare, or cry.

Share the good (or bad) news!

I'll start... I've been rejected from Berkeley so far (who hasn't?). But I've blissfully convinced myself that they didn't accept anyone and that the geography department at Berkeley doesn't actually exist. Oh well, four to go.

Between 2010 and 2014, there have been 40 Berkeley rejections vs. 2 acceptances posted on Gradcafe. I wonder where all those grad students listed on the program's webpage came from.  :)

I applied to Geography programs in Canada

- Uof Toronto - accepted with full funding
- U of Western Ontario - nothing yet, been informed will hear by end of February
- U of Guelph - nothing yet.

Do you know anything about these schools Departments?

Edited by SiSi26

I've also heard things about Berkeley not actually existing and that it's a big scheme to pocket application fees. Genius really...

I'm waiting on UGA and I'm feeling confident!

Good luck with UGA! It's a really great program and probably the only one I would have chosen over my current one. Sadly, I withdrew my application after finding out I was waitlisted because the people I was interested in working with weren't taking more master's students and they were struggling with figuring out who I would fit with. What are your interests and who are you interested in working with there? I was hoping to do the MA in Geography and ICON PhD.

Rejected by UCB and UW-Madison……sign

If by UCB, you mean UC-Boulder then chin up.  That department is extremely hard to get into.  They only offer funding for the 1st year (according to their website).  And when I visited, the staff wasn't the most friendly.  I know UC Boulder carries a lot of prestige, but I just wasn't impressed by their atmosphere (although the campus is lovely!).

Rejected by UCB and UW-Madison……sign

Keep your head up, I'm sure you'll hear some good news soon!

And I got into UC Davis over the weekend! Still waiting on funding, but it's a different world knowing you've got one in the bag. My recurring nightmares of working the check-out line at Target have been assuaged. Take that, Berkeley!

Keep your head up, I'm sure you'll hear some good news soon!

And I got into UC Davis over the weekend! Still waiting on funding, but it's a different world knowing you've got one in the bag. My recurring nightmares of working the check-out line at Target have been assuaged. Take that, Berkeley!

Congrats! That's great news!

Hey! any news on the PhD program in Geography at Rutgers??

Check your online application. My acceptance appeared there about a week before I heard anything from the department (and even then, I contacted them) and about a month before I received my letter of acceptance in the mail.

Check your online application. My acceptance appeared there about a week before I heard anything from the department (and even then, I contacted them) and about a month before I received my letter of acceptance in the mail.

You applied in the previous year I presume, since the application deadline this year was the 15th of January

You applied in the previous year I presume, since the application deadline this year was the 15th of January

Yep. I emailed Dr. Schneider for more information once mine changed (a day or two after some others mentioned that theirs had changed) and she told me to contact Dr.'s Schroeder and Leichenko as they were both interested in working with me. If there is an acceptance, keep an eye on your application status page. If it doesn't change and you don't hear anything from them I don't think it would hurt too much to send Dr. Schneider an email. She seemed very affable.