Florida Schools

I know some people at UCF. They love it!

I unfortunately havent heard the best things about Nova...It is a private school that accepts so many people. It isn't difficult to get in.

Oh boy I have heard similar of Nova but I went and visited the program and actually really liked it! So lets see what happens.

For UCF, are those people in Speech specifically or just speaking in general about the school? I was wondering about the area of the school too and the living situation in the area. I've never seen the campus in person but it seems great!

I'm applying mostly to Florida schools - UCF, USF, and FSU. :)

Yay!! Same club :) When did you apply to UCF? I am waiting to hear back and it's so stressful. I applied back in the summer and I noticed in November people started hearing back, my portal status just says "No Decision." I just want a response!

Yay!! Same club :) When did you apply to UCF? I am waiting to hear back and it's so stressful. I applied back in the summer and I noticed in November people started hearing back, my portal status just says "No Decision." I just want a response!

I applied just recently - made the deadline, but only just. But I didn't want to apply until I could show that I really am taking CSD classes (which is as of last semester), accepted to a post-bacc program (this semester), and built up some more SLP related work and shadowing (which I've done both semesters). So it made sense for me to wait. I'm a little nervous, though - I looked at when candidates heard back from UCF in the past and the Fall before last people didn't hear back until AFTER the national deadline. That's pretty bad... Makes me nervous!

Also, the campus is very nice and pretty. :) It's really logically laid out, too, which I like. (I didn't look at the whole thing, but someone told me it was a circular layout instead of a square, which makes more sense and would reduce walking time.)

So I go to UF and thus have heard a bunch of things about the main Florida SLP programs (UF, FSU, UCF, USF).

Everyone I know who goes to FSU LOVES it. They enjoy it so much. Most of the students that have ended up at FSU are the ones that were stronger UF students but didn't want to go to UF or out of state. They have a lot of autism research and clinic so if you are into that, FSU is awesome.

People also really enjoy UCF. Honestly, it is kind of the back-up for the better UF students, but take that with a grain of salt. I do not know as much about their program, but I have heard good things.

USF also is good for SLP. I know the least about this program, but once again, I know people that went there and are also very happy.

greeneryforests, with these lovely descriptions of the schools I just can't WAIT for March 1st, which is when I hear back from my first FL school. THREE MORE WEEKS! Gah! I can't wait...so nervous!

To contribute my part to this discussion, from what I've researched online FSU does indeed have a wonderful autism program which is very exciting. I took CSD undergrad classes at USF and really liked the professors. Some of the graduate students from USF that work in swallowing came in and talked to one of my classes and it sounded 1) interesting and 2) like there's a lot of work being done in that area at USF. I'm also liking my professors for UF's CSD post bacc program now.

Also, when I was deciding what schools to apply for I went a bit nerdy and made a table with facts about each school. I put the ones you guys might find interesting below. Areas of research came straight off of ASHA (and I don't think it's always a great reflection of the school, because I couldn't find anything about a multicultural or multilingual emphasis at UCF on UCF's own website but ASHA said they did). Estimated cost of attendance is for in-state tuition assuming no financial aid and done with my own calculations...therefore, use at your own risk.

FSU:

Areas of Research:

• AAC
  • Language
  • Fluency
  • Apraxia, aphasia, dysarthria, cognitive
  • Articulation
  • Phonology
  • Swallowing
  • Voice disorders
  • Literacy

Can do online

Cost per credit hour: $479.32; 60 hours classwork

Total cost: $28,759

UCF:

Study abroad in PR, Nicaragua

Multicultural / Bilingual emphasis

• AAC
  • Fluency
  • Apraxia
  • Aphasia
  • Dysarthria
  • Cognitive
  • Articulation Phonology
  • Voice disorders
  • Literacy
  • Autism

72 credit hours; Per credit: $367.94

Total: $26,491

UF:

• Fluency
  • Apraxia
  • Aphasia
  • Dysarthria
  • Cognitive
  • Swallowing
  • Voice disorders
  • Literacy
  • Physiology

57 credits; Cost per credit: $526.75

Total: $30,024

USF:

Areas of Research:

• Language
  • Fluency
  • Swallowing
  • Literacy

~70 credits; $431.43/hr

Total: $30,200

Edited by autismadvocate

Ok so being from UF, I would suggest that if you get into all 3 of the Florida schools you applied to, go to FSU. People are so happy there.

And for anybody else, if you are applying to all those Florida schools I listed in the first post, I'd still suggest FSU. Plus they usually give out a ton of funding for their students.

And let me just say that autismadvocate, I am pretty sure you will get into FSU and UCF. Your credentials are more than enough for those schools. I know that it is hard to tell which schools you are going to get into, but just based off of experience seeing who goes where from UF, you seem like a good candidate.

greeneryforests, you say the nicest things. :) Logically I know you're right (on my table I also included the average stats of all students admitted), but emotionally I go back and forth. For weeks I was super pessimistic, feeling like I'd be lucky to get into any school. Then for a week I was super optimistic, feeling like the schools I applied to would have to be crazy not to take me. And now I'm somewhere in between, having come to the conclusion that, while they would be crazy not to take me, schools can be crazy sometimes (and SLP apps are certainly quite crazy, too), so everything's still up in the air. Which is why I can't wait until I start hearing back from schools! I hate this up in the air feeling...

You seem like a fantastic candidate yourself, btw - your academics are great and your extra curriculars are great and put together you're just a fantastic candidate. May I ask what kind of disability work you did? That's kind of an area of interest for me...

greeneryforests, with these lovely descriptions of the schools I just can't WAIT for March 1st, which is when I hear back from my first FL school. THREE MORE WEEKS! Gah! I can't wait...so nervous!

To contribute my part to this discussion, from what I've researched online FSU does indeed have a wonderful autism program which is very exciting. I took CSD undergrad classes at USF and really liked the professors. Some of the graduate students from USF that work in swallowing came in and talked to one of my classes and it sounded 1) interesting and 2) like there's a lot of work being done in that area at USF. I'm also liking my professors for UF's CSD post bacc program now.

Also, when I was deciding what schools to apply for I went a bit nerdy and made a table with facts about each school. I put the ones you guys might find interesting below. Areas of research came straight off of ASHA (and I don't think it's always a great reflection of the school, because I couldn't find anything about a multicultural or multilingual emphasis at UCF on UCF's own website but ASHA said they did). Estimated cost of attendance is for in-state tuition assuming no financial aid and done with my own calculations...therefore, use at your own risk.

FSU:

Areas of Research:

• AAC
  • Language
  • Fluency
  • Apraxia, aphasia, dysarthria, cognitive
  • Articulation
  • Phonology
  • Swallowing
  • Voice disorders
  • Literacy

Can do online

Cost per credit hour: $479.32; 60 hours classwork

Total cost: $28,759

UCF:

Study abroad in PR, Nicaragua

Multicultural / Bilingual emphasis

• AAC
  • Fluency
  • Apraxia
  • Aphasia
  • Dysarthria
  • Cognitive
  • Articulation Phonology
  • Voice disorders
  • Literacy
  • Autism

72 credit hours; Per credit: $367.94

Total: $26,491

UF:

• Fluency
  • Apraxia
  • Aphasia
  • Dysarthria
  • Cognitive
  • Swallowing
  • Voice disorders
  • Literacy
  • Physiology

57 credits; Cost per credit: $526.75

Total: $30,024

USF:

Areas of Research:

• Language
  • Fluency
  • Swallowing
  • Literacy

~70 credits; $431.43/hr

Total: $30,200

Wow thanks SO much for all of this information! You are so helpful!!!

I am interested in working with literacy and articulation. I didn't apply to those other FL schools but UCF's list looks good to me!

Also, does anyone know if it's true that FL schools are more competitive than most? I've heard it said before, because FL is a nice area that people would like to live in so they apply here, but I don't know if it's true...

I've actually heard the opposite. That FL schools are easier to get in to because they accept more people than bigger city schools. For example, NYC schools are almost impossible to get in to because everybody wants to come to NY to study. FL is said to be a less sought out state in comparison to bigger states. In our case I hope I am right so we can get acceptances lol

So I go to UF and thus have heard a bunch of things about the main Florida SLP programs (UF, FSU, UCF, USF).

Everyone I know who goes to FSU LOVES it. They enjoy it so much. Most of the students that have ended up at FSU are the ones that were stronger UF students but didn't want to go to UF or out of state. They have a lot of autism research and clinic so if you are into that, FSU is awesome.

People also really enjoy UCF. Honestly, it is kind of the back-up for the better UF students, but take that with a grain of salt. I do not know as much about their program, but I have heard good things.

USF also is good for SLP. I know the least about this program, but once again, I know people that went there and are also very happy.

Thanks for your response and input!!

So what is it like living in FL full time? I'm not sure if you are a native or just there for school.. I have only visited several times but I wonder what it's like to be there full time. I'm only used to NYC but I'm sure going anywhere from this point would be a huge adjustment.

Autismadvocate, you will be absolutely fine. You have a lot of good credentials. I would be shocked if you didnt get into your Florida schools. Also that website you mentioned really seems like a stand-out accomplishment--they will remember you.

I have worked with a lot of people with disabilities. I was a caretaker of a girl with autism for a while and then I helped out a blind woman with her cleaning and groceries and stuff. I also have a disability myself, and I applied for a scholarship for people with disabilities and got it. I feel like my package as a whole is pretty strong...except for my scores. I mean, my scores are like meeeeh (except for writing, BAM), but I was able to get into U Wisconsin-Madison. Super shocked. So if you have one "lower" thing on your application, don't lose hope! I actually have a C+ on my transcript from freshman year.

greeneryforests, sounds like you have a lot of experience, then! That's super awesome because SLPs we need to understand the perspective of people with disabilities, but most students don't have prior experience with that. I asked because I'm into disability advocacy myself. Not just autism, although autism was my gateway, if you will, and still is the community I'm most involved with. :)

Your scores seem fine - generally my rule of thumb is to ask, are they 150+? If they are, then I wouldn't worry too much...and yours are. That, by the way, is the only information FSU gave that I could find about their GRE scores - that they prefer scores 150+.

Congrats on making it into Wisconsin! I'm sure that has to feel awesome. :) :) :)

If anyone wants to know about USF, I'm an undergraduate there currently. I highly recommend it! I'm only not applying to USF because I'm moving back to my home state.

I haven't heard good things about NOVA. I've heard FSU is excellent.

Thanks for your response and input!!

So what is it like living in FL full time? I'm not sure if you are a native or just there for school.. I have only visited several times but I wonder what it's like to be there full time. I'm only used to NYC but I'm sure going anywhere from this point would be a huge adjustment.

Didn't want your question to go overlooked. Like I said, I took classes at USF so I have some experience living in FL. What you think of FL generally depends on how you feel about hot vs cold weather. If you hate the cold and don't mind some heat in between walking from your air conditioned car to an air conditioned building, you'll love it. If you love the cold and can't imagine any kind of heat, you'll probably hate it. FL's just one of those states that people tend to have very strong opinions about, and people who hate it are quite vocal about their hatred...

smartypants14, I didn't get that impression of FSU having the lowest stats. That may, however, be because I couldn't find an average GRE for them (did you find anything?).

Looking at when UCF sent out most of its acceptance letters in the past (which you can do on grad cafe via the result search button at the top of the page) it seems most people started hearing back about April.

Nvm, I see ASHA has updated its data since I last checked. Simultaneously feeling better and worse about my odds of admission to FSU now that I've finally tracked down firm GRE numbers. (Thanks!) I'm well within their range or at the upper end of it for all of the sections (feeling better). But, unfortunately I checked how many seats they have vs the number of acceptances they give, too, and only 12% of applicants get in. (Worse than I'd thought.) Yikes! For the sake of my sanity, I'm going to refrain from looking at the updated numbers for admission for my other schools, for fear that they, too, will be even more competitive than I thought.

Hey, guys! I'm applying to a couple of FL schools too.

I've talked to some of my professors who went to FSU and they had nothing but good things to say about all the bigger programs (UCF, USF, etc.). However, I've also heard that priority is often given to in-state residents. Do you guys know anything about that?

I'm only applying to USF because I work here and live in Tampa - I don't have the option of moving anywhere for school. I'm a California transplant from last year and it was a bit of a culture shock. HUMID is the one word I use to describe where I live. Still haven't gotten used to that. The USF campus is really nice, and I like the professors here. Tampa doesn't have much of its own personality, but it's what you make it. Oh, and don't plan on coming here without a car. 

Edited by bratcw

I'm only applying to USF because I work here and live in Tampa - I don't have the option of moving anywhere for school. I'm a California transplant from last year and it was a bit of a culture shock. HUMID is the one word I use to describe where I live. Still haven't gotten used to that. The USF campus is really nice, and I like the professors here. Tampa doesn't have much of its own personality, but it's what you make it. Oh, and don't plan on coming here without a car. 

While the humidity may suck, the beaches are to die for! I have moved coast-to-coast quite a few times and the best beaches will always be the west coast of FL. <3 

I'll agree to that - the Florida water is much warmer and the sand is much finer than California! After getting scuba certified in 58 degree water in CA, I prefer being able to dive in a shorty in FL!