MA vs PhD

strudelle

This is something I have been thinking about a lot because of the fact that I have applied to an MA program and PhD programs.  

I've read a few articles online that suggest a PhD is no longer really necessary, and you should think long and hard about what you want to do before you get one because it's incredibly difficult and competitive to get a tenured professorship (which is cited as the major reason many people get a PhD).  I'm very seriously wondering if a PhD is necessary to do what I want to do, and if it's something I am ready to devote so much time and money to.  I'm particularly interested in museum curation and education, community outreach, and teaching at a community college (I'm more interested in teaching under-served populations).  I would also really like to be able to be involved in research.  I'm not so sure I need a PhD to do these things - though maybe I will need it to do research?

At the same time, I know I will have to take out many more loans to do an MA program, and a PhD is usually funded.  Additionally, I likely won't make as much money with only an MA.  

If you are going for a PhD rather than just the MA, why have you chosen to do so?  What is your take on this?  

I woud say that if you were to inspect the CV's of individuals who hold positions in the fields you are interested in, you could tell what level of education you may need. I believe that if you desired a tenured position at an academic institution, you would need a PhD.  I am very new to this however, and my advice should be taken as such. 

If you are going for a PhD rather than just the MA, why have you chosen to do so?  What is your take on this?  

I decided to apply to MA programs after realizing that I was extremely under qualified to all of the PhD programs I applied for. Without published articles, or TA positions, I felt very insecure about my applications. I understand that my MA could possibly cost me a few extra years that may not transfer to the eventual PhD program, but I believe that it will help to create a more competitive application for the next round.

I'm afraid high-level jobs in museum curation require the PhD these days.  I know a number of people right now with similar goals getting their PhDs in both anthropology and art history that have no interest in university teaching or research. 

I'm afraid high-level jobs in museum curation require the PhD these days.  I know a number of people right now with similar goals getting their PhDs in both anthropology and art history that have no interest in university teaching or research. 

I'm one of those, NOW, I don't have much interest in a tenured teaching position. I'm interested in doing research or working in a museum. The closest I'd get to teaching at a university would be at a junior college, because I like the variety of people (see: older students rather than recent high schools kids) I'd be able to interact with. I have taught a survey-level course and been a TA in my master's program at a university and I don't see that as the most satisfying way to spend my life. I'm pursuing a PhD for those high-level museum jobs, particularly in curation. I guess that's good news for a lot of people since it's one less person to compete with for jobs in academia! 

Thanks for the input, everyone.  I was basing my assumption about only needing an MA on job postings I have seen and the CVs of people that are working in the areas I would like to work in.  I will most likely go for the MA and see what my options are after that.

I'm with you catsrgods - I have very little interest in being a tenured professor.  Definitely more interested in non-traditional education and research.  Maybe I'll go back for the PhD to pursue high level museum work after I've done some lower level museum work for a while.  

i want a PhD because i want to have to option do whatever i want . I would like a tenure position someday but i also would not mind teaching at a university. what i am sure about though is that i want the ability to do research and lead excavations. However, the way things are going this year, i believe  i am not going to be able to do any of these...

That's why I will probably end up going for the PhD later too Daisy. Why do you say it's looking unlikely? If it's because you haven't been accepted yet, don't lose hope! Decisions are just starting to come out. You still have a chance!

At the same time, I know I will have to take out many more loans to do an MA program, and a PhD is usually funded.  Additionally, I likely won't make as much money with only an MA.  

Here's an interesting point. I was just recently digging through data from a few Big 10 schools (the conference) and found that most Anthro MA graduates make more at entry level than PhDs do. I'm trying to wrap my brain around why this would be and Post Docs and Adjuncts were the only things I could think of. I'm guessing a MAs typically have a career path in mind, whereas PhDs have to take what they can, given the stagnation of the Academic job market. 

I would say, though, if you're funded for a PhD, that's the way to go. Education should only make you more marketable. And particularly, if you have a clear career path ahead. 

Here's an interesting point. I was just recently digging through data from a few Big 10 schools (the conference) and found that most Anthro MA graduates make more at entry level than PhDs do. I'm trying to wrap my brain around why this would be and Post Docs and Adjuncts were the only things I could think of. I'm guessing a MAs typically have a career path in mind, whereas PhDs have to take what they can, given the stagnation of the Academic job market. 

I would say, though, if you're funded for a PhD, that's the way to go. Education should only make you more marketable. And particularly, if you have a clear career path ahead. 

I agree with the post-doc & adjunct theory there. Also, part of why I'm getting a terminal MA is because an MA absolutely shatters the glass ceiling in CRM & federal archaeology. I'm talking "instantly doubles your salary & provides you job security with some benefits pretty quickly" ceiling-shattering; with a BA only, it's very difficult to make more than $11-$16/hr with no benefits & constant travel. Even if you've got great references & an endless skill set, it can take 5+ years just to get to that $16/hr point. So, getting an MA basically pays itself off very quickly, despite loans. Also, you don't always need a PhD to get to a managerial position in CRM; many excellent project managers got an MA for the boost, but worked their butts off for the skills & respect. The same applies to federal archaeology, although to a lesser degree.

i want a PhD because i want to have to option do whatever i want . I would like a tenure position someday but i also would not mind teaching at a university. what i am sure about though is that i want the ability to do research and lead excavations. However, the way things are going this year, i believe  i am not going to be able to do any of these...

I'm with you, Daisy. I want the options! I want to be able to teach if the chance comes, go on digs and work my butt off, research at museums, or write books. I have no strict plan for my future and I am trying to be flexible. And Daisy, this year isn't looking great for me either, you're in good company!

When I originally wrote this post, I had been accepted to an MA program and figured I had no chance at all at a PhD.  Then I got a very confusing phone call that makes me think I may actually have a shot at a funded PhD at a great school.  So I'm definitely thinking that if that opportunity comes through, I'm going to take it.  But it's still kind of "wait and see" at the moment.

Honestly, getting a PhD is what I have always wanted to do for the same reasons as everyone else: to have the option to do more.  I'm also really really interested in doing research and teaching.  But I have also read a lot of conflicting views recently about whether or not a PhD is necessary.  I've even heard that it can hurt your chances of getting some jobs - though I don't really understand how.  

So I got three rejections already but as some of you saw yesterday on the other topic, one of them said that I could go into their adjunct archaeology M.A. program. But as an international and without funding that seems impossible however I am still curious about this option. I do have a Master's already in a different subject and lots of grad work in anthropology so another Master's in archaeology seems weird at this point especially considering my age and my having dependents and no money. But still what if we win the lottery or so?? I mean let's say we can gather 70k and come there for this one year program. What will this make? I know from experience that nothing guarantees PhD so I don't count on that but what else can this M.A. give to me except bankruptcy?

I would say you definitely still have a chance of getting into one of the other programs, so don't lose hope yet! 

Did you get your original MA in the US or outside of the US?  I guess it's possible that an MA in the US would help to improve your chances of getting accepted into a PhD program in the US later?  I also wonder if there are other grants you could apply for because of your international status.  A lot of schools offer special grants and scholarships for students who can improve their "campus diversity.".