Self-Defeating Behavior in College - How to Overcome?

Pepsiholic2014

Hello! I'm interested in applying for admission into Widener University (Chester, PA) and Temple University (Philadelphia, PA) for their MSW programs. I'll also apply to Delaware State University's MSW program as backup; I could always transfer into Temple and Widener after a semester or two. My goal is to become a LCSW in mental health. 

My undergraduate record concerns me though. I'm going to provide it here (it's embarassing; but I'm interested in getting everyone else's opinions). I basically engaged in some serious self-defeating behavior when it came to college. After growing up and maturing more (including moving out of my old house during the three semesters I took off from college), I believe that this self-sabotage is over.

Paralegal Studies at Local Community College

Grade explanation: W = Withdrew from course / O = Official withdrawal with approval of College (before deadline). W and O grades are not calculated in GPA but show on transcript. An R is "Recycle" meaning you didn't pass the class. Counts toward GPA until you pass the class and then your overall and GPA for the "R" are recalculated.

Fall 2007--------

BIO 120 Anatomy and Physiology I W

ENG 121 Composition R (extra; not applied to GPA)

SOC 111 Sociology B

GPA: 3.0

Spring 2007--------

BIO 120 Anatomy and Physiology I W

ENG 121 Composition W

PSY 127 Human Development B

SSS 101 Mastering College Life A

GPA: 3.25

Summer 2008--------

CHM 100 Basic Chemistry R

ENG 121 Composition A

GPA: 2.0

Fall 2008-------

OAT 121 Keyboarding A

OAT 160 Family Law A

OAT 170 Intro to the Legal System B

OAT 121 General Psychology B

GPA: 3.53 - Dean's List

Spring 2008------

OAT 122 Keyboarding Applications O

OAT 131 Office Systems & Procedures B

OAT 172 Law of Simple Contracts C

OAT 175 Estate Administration & Probate B

OAT 280 Legal Research & Writing O

OAT 285 Law Office Management B

GPA: 2.75

Summer 2009------

ENG 124 Oral Communications O

MAT 153 College Math and Statistics W

OAT 271 Real Property Law W

Fall 2009-------

ACC 101 Accounting I W

ECO 111 Macroeconomics W

MAT 153 College Math and Statistics R (extra; not applied to GPA)

OAT 173 Civil Procedure and Tort B

OAT 270 Criminal Law B

Spring 2009--------

ECO 111 Macroeconomics A

ENG 124 Oral Communications W

HIS 112 U.S. History: Post-Civil War B

HMS 121 Intro to Human Services W

MAT 153 College Math and Statistics R

OAT 280 Legal Research & Writing B

GPA: 3.33

Fall 2010--------

ACC 101 Accounting I W

MAT 153 College Math and Statistics C

OAT 122 Keyboarding Applications A

OAT 157 Word Level I B

OAT 159 PowerPoint B

Spring 2010--------

ACC 101 Accounting I R (extra; not applied)

OAT 151 Access Level I W

OAT 152 Excel Level I W

OAT 290 Intern Program B

GPA 3.0

Summer 2010------

ACC 101 Accounting I W

CRJ Intro to Criminal Justice W

GPA: N/A

Fall 2011-------

ACC 101 Accounting I C

COM 111 Human Communications A

ENG 124 Oral Communications B

PSY 223 Abnormal Psychology B

GPA: 2.92

Finally finished Associate of Applied Science in Paralegal Studies this semester! Overall undergraduate GPA at local community college: 3.01

I then transferred to a four-year university for an undergraduate degree (B.S.) in Psychology. The school counted my undergraduate work at the community college as my lower-level 75 credits; therefore I need to take 45 credits in the following courses to complete the B.S. degree. 

Spring 2012------

ENG 102 English Composition II W (didn't find out until two weeks in that my course transferred)

MAT 308 Inferential Statistics C-

PHI 302 Ethics and Values in the Behavioral Science B

PSY 300 Theories of Personality B

PSY 315 Group Dynamics FA (Failure to Attend)

SCI 335 Human Anatomy & Physiology D

GPA Term: 1.69 / GPA Cumulative: 2.56

Fall 2012-------Spring 2013------Summer 2013------

I did not attend school for this three semesters. I essentially took a little more than year off from school. During this time I made great gains by finding full-time employment, volunteering at local crisis hotline, and moving out of my mother's house and into a new city (still nearby). I've developed a lot of self-esteem since then.

Fall 2013------

PSY 315 Group Dynamics A

SCI 335 Human Anatomy & Physiology C+

PSY 331 Research, Writing, & Information Literacy in the Behavioral Science B+

SOC 340 Applied Research Design A

GPA Term: 3.33 / GPA Total: 3.01

Spring 2014------

PSY 334 The Biological Basis of Behavior

PSY 352 Human Sexuality 

PSY 406 Tests and Measurements 

PSY 409 Senior Seminar in Psychology

Summer 2014------

SOC 304 Ethnic Groups and Minorities 

PSY 301 Social Psychology

PSY 351 Learning & Cognition

PSY Elective (300-400 Level)

I will then have completed the degree requirements at the end of Summer 2014 for a B.S. in Psychology at the four-year university. I've talked to all three MSW programs; I can be given an provisional acceptance and can start classes for MSW in Fall 2014 as long as my degree conferral date is before the start of classes (it will be).

So far this semester I have a 99% (A) in my PSY 406 Tests and Measurements class as well as a 96% (A) in my PSY 352 Human Sexuality class. My teacher for Human Sexuality has told me that so far I am really standing out in my class, she enjoys reading my discussion board posts online, my papers are very well written, etc. My other teacher ended up giving me extra points on a small essay (11 out of 10 points) and said that she wanted to do so since I went so extensively beyond the requirements of the assignment. I believe that my days of self-defeating behavior when it comes to my college success is over. Last semester I was only one point away from an A in the SOC 331 class! My instructor e-mailed me at the end and told me that my papers were well written, that I was smart and joy to have in class, and that if I ever want a letter of recommendation that he'd be more than willing to provide one. Furthermore, through volunteering at the crisis hotline I know that I'm cut out for the work in mental health (as I've been recognized as a good listener and enjoy the work that I do). I even have had a trainer and supervisor (same person) tell me that she would love to write a letter of recommendation if I ever needed one!

I believe that what is most important is that I've stuck with college and that I haven't given up on my passion for mental health. I know many other fellow students of mine in our small town that went to the same community college, and many of them encountered some problems and just gave up. I believe that when others would be put in the same situation, they would have given up as well (family was not supportive of me going to college, they were further not supportive of the fact that I wanted to study psychology - and when I see them I definitely hear about it, dealing with depression and anxiety due to family circumstances, etc). 

I'm struggling now with how I can address this in an admissions essay or personal statement? 

I'd be very happy to hear advice or get opinions and thoughts from others.

From what I have read on here grades in SW are important but not the be all end all. I think a lot of it is based on your experience, I know the places I applied to of you had under a 3.0 I deal GPA you had to take the GRE and explain it in your statement. In all honesty I would just be honest in your SOP explain the self defeating behavior and how you grew from it and now you can use it in the field. In my sop I talked about going to therapy in the past and my struggle with self esteem and how it influenced me. So I think you can do it just keep those grades up! Good luck!

Hey there Pepsiholic2014,

After reading your post (and btw I know it must've been very hard to be open and honest), I realize that sometimes it's difficult to come across to the Admissions offices in the best light possible when one's academic past may not have been spectacular.  Like CorruptedInnocence said, talking about how you've grown from the period of self-defeating behavior and most importantly what you've learned from that experience is key.  Often Admissions offices will look for patterns and if you can show consistency in good grades (e.g., last few semesters), then highlight that in your personal statement.  We all learn and grow and it's important that you emphasize how you've grown and matured.  If there were some external sources that may have contributed to that self-defeating behavior (e.g., very difficult class, not enough time to study for exams) it might be a good idea to talk about those things that became barriers for you and how you've managed to overcome them.  The key is recognizing the barriers that you've faced and talking about how you've overcome them because there will most definitely be challenging and stressful times in graduate school, and the Admissions office wants to know how you'll handle those situations if (and when) they arise.  Ultimately Admissions offices want to admit potential students that they know will succeed in their program. 

Lastly, it might be too late to ask this (as many applications are due by next month), but have you considered taking the GRE?  If you study and do well on the GRE that could be used to help bolster your applications.