Visiting programs?

KennedyAM

Hi y'all! Not really sure how to proceed here haha

A lot of the programs have admitted students days - is anyone else going to them (BU, Emory, etc...)?

I really want to go but it's hard because a lot of places wont rent a car to me/can't get a hotel room (at least the places I've called) so I'm kind of screwed it feels like... my mom really wants to go with me but the dates of them don't work for her (she'll be in chemo/radiation). 

Would it hinder the experience to go just visit on a "free day" and not the admitted students day? (I only attended one proper day in for undergrad)

/mostly just rambling

I don't think it would hinder your experience drastically. You could always go on another day but faculty might not be available. Also, there is always orientation, however you could possibly miss out on some early opportunities by not attending admitted students day. Admitted students day at the University of Michigan (where I will be attending), gives students a chance to talk and connect with faculty who might share their research interests, answer questions a prospective student may have, and it also gives students a chance to experience a glimpse of what the university they will attend has to offer while meeting some of your future classmates. I think it is important to attend if possible so that you can get a feel for whether the school is really a fit for you and your interests. I am going to the University of Michigan's admitted students day even though I attended the school as an undergraduate. I am trying to network and hopefully secure a research position well in advance of school starting so that I know what I will be doing and can plan accordingly (since I am applying to medical school afterwards). That is my goal whether I achieve it or not. It all depends on what you are trying to get out of admitted students day. I am sure schools have an agenda for that day and I think if you have the means to attend, by all means attend. If not then don't worry too much as if you will be behind or something. I would definitely try to keep in contact with individuals in the department, especially with those you may want to do research with if you can't attend.

Edited by NeurosciMRI

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I actually think it might be better to not visit on an admitted students day and instead make an appointment with the director and email a few professors/current students to see if you could meet up on the date you plan on visiting. It might take more legwork, but it's way better to get that 1-on-1 time IMO. This is what I did when I visited berkeley last month and it was incredibly helpful! 

I might go to BU's in March. But I'm really only using it as an excuse for a mini-vacation...... Shhh, don't tell faculty that though! But if you do plan on going to that date, PM me, I don't know anyone going to it. We can form our own awkward Internet group.

Berkeley is amaze-balls. I did my undergraduate there. Feel free to shoot me questions if you have any regarding Cal! (I'm feeling heavily nostalgic for it right now)

You won't be missing out too much if you can't make it to the admitted students days. As a master's student, you don't necessarily have to have already identified a professor of interest prior to attending and if you already have one or some in mind, you can always email and/or arrange meetings with them at some point. 

I attended 2 admitted students days for my MPH - BU and Emory. BU was more of an excuse to visit Boston for the first time since I was already leaning towards not attending considering the tuition/cost of living (their scholarship was simply too minimal!) unless they wow-ed me, which they didn't because I was looking for international experience. Panels included intro, current students, and financial aid. You also get a tour of the facilities and speak with a few faculty members, depending on who was available. There was 1 other student in the same dept the day I went (they had multiple days you could attend) and about 3 faculty spoke with us. They were all very nice and welcoming. 

Emory put more effort into attracting admitted students. Breakfast first with other admitted students and then similar panels - intro, current students, fin aid. We then had a session with our depts where we had lunch and got to know some of the faculty/more about the dept. This was followed by a campus tour. The day ended with a networking event to speak with faculty from all departments and some research centers so you can become familiar with their work and speak to potential thesis advisors. 

Good luck making your final decision!

I hadn't been planning on attending, because it feels like such a big commitment to a program I'm not sure I'll be attending yet. One school has had current students actually call me and try to get me to go, but I work full time and I just can't do that unless it's to network at a school I know I'll attend. Given the large number of public health students coming in with work experience, I would think a lot of people are making that same calculation.

I don't think there's anything wrong with contacting the department once you know you'll go and setting something up. I did this in a previous program I attended and the department head met with me in person herself.

Ugh thanks ya'll!!

I think I'm attending USC's because it's the dean scholars event and I love Southern California and they reimburse $200 of the flight; but I'm not sure I'll make it to BU (same day) or Emory as so many flights just add up and I just bought a flight to Europe and my wallet is weeping 

I think I'll visit BU on my own and just message someone from the school as I'm going to visit my roommate over spring break who lives in Cambridge.