Anyone applied for PhD with a few years of postbac research experience?

Thesbane

Hey all,

I would like to hear your opinions on the pros/cons of postbac research experiences. A few rumors I have heard is they can make up for a mediocre GPA when applying to very competitive programs. Is there anyone who can testify to this with their personal experience?

Thanks in advance!

I took 2 years off to work as a tech before applying to grad school this year, and am really happy with that decision! I think that they are a great way to gain experience, explore research in a different enivornment/context than undergrad research, and develop skills in science writing. As far as strengthening your application, you would have the opportunity to get a strong LOR from your postbac experience, assuming that it's a good experience for you.

I'm not sure whether it can "make up" for a mediocre GPA, but I don't think it could hurt your chances at all! Plus you'll gain lots of research experience and be better prepared to jump into grad school  :)

The only cons I can think of are that you'll be older when you graduate your PhD program and it might be a slight adjustment to have to take classes again.

I am currently doing a post-bac right now.  I'm not sure what is a Mediocre GPA, but mine is 3.35.  I would say it is a useful time period to actually experience what full-time research is all about, and to figure out what knowledge you gain as an undergraduate.  I can say that I am not as naive as I was before when coming out as an undergrad.  Plus, I know what field of biology and what approaches to biology I want to take in the future.  

Unfortunately, I didn't not get a PhD interview in this cycle, so I don't really think it is as helpful when you have other people with just the same amount of experience or even better.  If I were in your shoes you don't necessarily need post-bac experience, but any type of scientific experience that will help build and grow you skill and knowledge set.  

I do have to admit it was awesome introducing myself as a postbac to undergrad and professors.  Undergrads will look at you as there model while professors would see you as somebody with experience during those national conferences like SACNAS.

I can't say enough about the benefits of taking some time off between undergrad and grad school.

First and foremost, I think it put me in a better mental place for the grad school application process - I applied to some fellowships right out of my undergrad, but my applications were weak not just because I lacked the experience I have now, but because I've since gained a lot of clarity about my strengths, weaknesses, and goals.

It's also just a lot of fun! You can pick a project you find interesting and work on it for a couple years in an environment that is (relative to grad school, at least) pretty low-stress. You'll probably meet some really interesting and fun people. Maybe it's in a city you've never spent much time in, but want to explore. Maybe you'll even have some time to explore your interests outside science.

Not all of these reasons, strictly speaking, relate to strengthening your application. But for me, they made the experience well worth a short two-year delay in starting grad programs.

I'm not sure if postbac research will necessarily "make up" for a mediocre GPA. If your grades in your science classes are low, that might make some people on the admissions committee question whether or not you can handle the rigorous academic requirements of the first year or two of grad classes. Nevertheless, I think the benefits of gaining more research experience as well as gaining a more focused perspective can make postbac research a very rewarding experience. I've been a tech for the past year and a half, and I am really happy with my choice. 

I will say that I think a lot of it is lab dependent. I know people who have had really rewarding experiences, and some who have had absolutely horrible ones. I know some people who have gotten their own projects as techs, and some who mostly just do other people's sample preps. In addition, I know that at some institutions you have the opportunity to take classes... this can be helpful if you want to try to improve your GPA, although from person experience, it can be very difficult to balance a heavy lab schedule with classes, so be sure to take those classes very seriously!

I have gotten only two interviews this season. I guess I kind of expected that given my very borderline gpa (3.46). I have been thinking about backup plan in case I don't get accepted anywhere (the one program I interviewed at a month ago hasn't gotten back to me, so I suspect I am either waitlisted/rejected). I have had quite a bit of research experience as an undergrad (probably more so than my peers at my school) and have a pretty good idea of what I want to study for graduate school, although I really would not mind doing postbac research for a few years and explore other options. I am just not sure if my situation will get better at all after even more research experience, or maybe I should just lower my expectation in the future.

I think post-bac work is always a good option to consider regardless of undergrad GPA. It is great for reaffirming (or redirecting) research interests, learning new skills, and networking (all of which are useful when applying to graduate programs in the future).

I had a high GPA, but I still took a year to work a couple of field jobs in order to learn some techniques that are common and useful in my area of research but that I did not have an opportunity to learn during undergrad. My experience and skillset were the main reasons why my POI (now advisor) sponsored me during the application process for my current program, and I'm convinced my post-bac experience played a big role in securing the fellowships I received.

I agree with BostonBio153 that the only downside is that some people may fall out of "school mode," but I think if you take on a post-bac position with the intention of pursuing graduate school after then it shouldn't be a problem. 

While post-bac research can certainly improve a graduate school application in general, I'm not sure if it can compensate for GPA in particular when applying to very competitive programs, for there will always be applicants with significant experience and high GPAs. Networking and connections can be helpful in this case, so I don't think any extra experience could hurt. 

Edited by Pitangus

I took 2.5 years for a postbac and I'm certainly glad I did. I also cannot say enough great things about the experience. I applied to and was accepted to programs that i would have not gotten into if it weren't for my postbac research experience.

A postbac is a confidence booster both for you and admissions committees that you are serious that research is something that you truly are interested in pursuing as a career. Being in the lab full time, working on a project, you will be sure that this life is for you, or that you would rather find something else to do. For me, my postbac was at NIH. They have a graduate school where I was able to take classes, so I wasn't too shocked after so much time out of school. Some of those classes can even be paid by your lab if they are relevant to your research. The price is also extremely affordable. 

Another invaluable resource of a postbac experience is the networking. The people in your lab come from universities, they have connections. I went on so many pre-interviews to meet with POI's before application season was even underway. With my mentors able to vouch for me, and the POI's already having met me, I already had people on the inside looking out for my application and talking me up. When I met them for the actual interview, it was much more relaxing. Also, in your specialized research area, science is a small world. There was not a place where I interviewed that someone didn't know at least one of my mentors, and at a few places people knew many of my mentors. When they see that you had a letter of recommendation from them, they were happy.

A postbac year also makes you more marketable as a graduate student. I had time to learn many techniques that would come from a rotation, both from my lab and as a result of collaborations.  As a result, I am able to fit nicely in a variety of labs, and bring skills that the lab may not already have. 

My undergrad GPA was 3.5. I did not complete a postbac to strengthen that, or any numbers. I did that to strengthen my research resume. I highly doubt that I would have even been given a second glance if I had only applied with the research experience that I had from undergrad. I agree with some of the other posters though. In an applicant pool where everyone has tons of experience, sometimes it comes down to numbers, and then there's nothing you can do about that. For programs who are less strict with the numbers and care more about actual experience, a postbac is your best option. 

I think post-bac work is always a good option to consider regardless of undergrad GPA. It is great for reaffirming (or redirecting) research interests, learning new skills, and networking (all of which are useful when applying to graduate programs in the future).

I agree with this. I had 1.5 years of postbac research experience when I was applying, and it definitely helped my application, but it also helped ME a whole lot. I clarified my research interests, I got better at talking about science, and I have a lot of research accomplishments I'm really proud of.

Here are some thoughts:

1) I don't know if it could help make up for GPA, but if you got your undergrad degree from a lesser-known institution, postbac research at a Big Name can help overcome any snobbery on the adcom about your pedigree.

2) What can help overcome a poor GPA is taking classes, especially grad-level classes, at your NewFancyInstitution. Many places will let employees take classes at a discount rate.