Asking the uncomfortable questions (decision-making)

Brisingamen

I have offers in hand and am wondering how to ask certain questions without giving POIs and probable future colleagues a poor impression (worse because I have to ask everything on Skype and email, as I can't make it to recruitment weekends). Since some of these are questions some of you may have to ask (or have previously asked), I thought I'd post here and ask for insight -- and do add any you have in mind. 

Post-PhD careers of former students: I am wondering how to ask about former students who moved out of academia and didn't pursue the tenure track, what they did, what opportunities the department/advisor could help them with in terms of gaining experience in other areas (things like non-profit work, public history work, editorial work, etc.). Considering the job market, I feel this is a fair enough question, because I'm definitely not going into this assuming there's a tenure track job waiting at the end of it -- but how do you ask a institution focused on training people for that tenure track about this? 

Actual availability of funding: It's a little difficult finding out what is the likelihood of getting funds for research (particularly archival research in other countries)... sometimes it seems there are funds, but how easy is it to get hold of those funds, that is the question... 

I think you should ask to be in contact with a graduate student. It's a fair enough request, after all, they're living the life you are planning to. Plus, you can ask them some of the more sensitive questions (e.g. funding). Most places are happy to give you the info for a current student.

As for your question about academia, I think it is a fair one. If you are really worried about asking, or if the program is pretty much known for only producing academicians, you can preface it by saying, "Right now I believe I am interested in pursuing a career in academia, however, I want to keep my options open. Can you tell me if your program supports students who choose an alternative career path?" and go from there.

Edited by iphi

I would second that asking to talk to a current graduate student might be the best way to find answers to some of these questions, especially funding related. However, I think that given the job market, asking about job prospects and non-academic professional development is very reasonable. The AHA has even been pushing for such professional development to prepare students for jobs outside of academia, and many top programs are starting to include it in their curriculum.

On the funding issue, you don't even necessarily have to ask current grad students - you could find some of their CVs online and get a sense of what kind of funding they've been able to get, both internally and externally (in addition to lists of current grad students/placements on department websites, the AHA has a directory of all history PhDs by school that makes this easy). It's still a legitimate question for anyone, though, and I brought it up during my admitted students' weekend.

As for careers outside academia, that's trickier. Most academics are aware of what the job market's like and are sympathetic. I've found that, if I haven't brought up alternatives or Plan Bs, they have -- almost all of them, in fact. I'm not sure how those who didn't would have reacted if I had raised the subject, though. Your best bet here may also be googling former grad students until a faculty member broaches the subject him or herself. 

Thanks very much for the suggestions. I have spoken to graduate students about the first question... I'm just wondering whether there might be information they might not be privy to. For instance, a cohort may have funding guaranteed... but what if a cohort that comes a few years later gets affected by funding cuts... can't really say, I guess. 

I didn't know the AHA had discussed the second question -- that's great info to have. I feel less anxious about bringing that up, knowing that! I like that suggestion of saying, "I'd like to keep my options open in case the academic job market doesn't work out." 

Just ask them to the DGS for sure.  S/he should know most of the answers you have.  I would also pose those questions to your POIs- to get a sense of how s/he sees the job market and intends to prepare you (will s//he also be open to supporting you if you choose to go for a non-academic career?) and how successful his/her previous students have been in gaining funding.  If his/her students aren't getting any extra funding for summer or dissertation, that's a red flag.  Something's amiss.