Hard decisions (biology)

2014applier

Hi,

This is the first time I post here.

I am an international student and am feeling hard on making decisions among these following six programs:

1) Cal tech biology(interview on 1.30 and accepted)

2) UCSF tetrad(interview on 1.31 and accepted)

3) UW-seattle MCB(interview on 2.7 and accepted)

4) Umich PIBBS(skype interview and accepted)

5) Harvard MCO program(interview this week and wait for the result)

6) Rockefeller(interview on 2.28)

Among these programs, which one is better and worth attending as graduate student?

and whether it is still worth attending the interview later at Rockefeller, as I feel a little tired after all these interviews.

Looking forward to your advise and Thanks so much!!!  :)

At this point you need to decide what's the best fit for you, which no one here can help you with. Which school has the best potential advisors (you want 2+ that you can see yourself working with)? Which school had the atmosphere that best fits your needs? Which city is the most appealing? Which school tends to place its graduates in positions that you'd like to be in the future?

Hi,

This is the first time I post here.

I am an international student and am feeling hard on making decisions among these following six programs:

1) Cal tech biology(interview on 1.30 and accepted)

2) UCSF tetrad(interview on 1.31 and accepted)

3) UW-seattle MCB(interview on 2.7 and accepted)

4) Umich PIBBS(skype interview and accepted)

5) Harvard MCO program(interview this week and wait for the result)

6) Rockefeller(interview on 2.28)

Among these programs, which one is better and worth attending as graduate student?

and whether it is still worth attending the interview later at Rockefeller, as I feel a little tired after all these interviews.

Looking forward to your advise and Thanks so much!!!  :)

I think UCSF is a great choice. Plus you get to live in San Francisco!!

Yeah but San Francisco is incredibly expensive and you'll be on a grad student stipend.

All of those programs are great. Are you really equally interested in the research at all of them?

I think if you are going to go by cost of living then OP should go with the University of Michigan. I've also only heard good things about Ann Arbor.

Well, in that case Rockefeller will have the lowest cost of living because the students there get free housing on top of their stipend.

Do you want to live in a cultural center? Is nice weather important to you? Legal weed? Lots of hiking? Skiing? Surfing? Prestige? Decide what's important to you (on top of research).

Well, in that case Rockefeller will have the lowest cost of living because the students there get free housing on top of their stipend.

Do you want to live in a cultural center? Is nice weather important to you? Legal weed? Lots of hiking? Skiing? Surfing? Prestige? Decide what's important to you (on top of research).

Thanks so much for your advise! :)

Actually I hope to go to a biological program with more prestige in US. But I really cannot tell which one is the best.

Also, I will have my graduate study together with my wife. So the living cost will be a major problem. We applied together, but She only got the offer from UW-Seattle MCB. We are just wondering whether UW-seattle has less prestige than others(such as Caltech,UCSF...) in biology. If so, she will follow me and apply again next year.

Looking forward to your advise. Thanks!!

Well as far as "prestige" goes, Harvard probably has the highest. UW is a perfectly respectable school and I would personally go with the sure bet. I don't know your wife's qualifications, but she might have the same trouble getting into schools next year as well, especially if she is an international too.

UW is extremely well respected worldwide in biomedical sciences. It's a top 10 world university in many respects. That said, prestige is realistically one of the least useful criteria for determining which school is the best fit for YOU. It sounds like the two body problem is actually going to have to drive your decision at this point. I'd definitely go to UW with her, but another viable option would be heading to Harvard where she could apply to the plethora of excellent programs in the area next year. That's not a sure thing, of course, and she'll need to scout things out ahead of time to make sure that there are multiple viable options for her there, and that she'd have a solid chance of getting in.

Going for prestige is foolish.  Sure, you don't want to go to a new program that has only graduated 1 PhD student, but you've been invited to some very good schools all around.  Go where you enjoy the most, and things will work out.

Not sure where you heard that Rockefeller gives free housing to their students. I'm looking at their student housing handbook and while prices are very very cheap for NYC, it isn't free. Still would make Rockefeller's already good stipend go pretty far.

2011-2012 RENT SCHEDULE

Apartment Types by Location:

Sophie Fricke Hall

Studio Private Bathroom and Mini-kitchenette $555

One-Bedroom Private Bathroom, Kitchen, Living Room $775

Jumbo one-bedroom Oversized family unit $805

Graduate Students Residence

Studio Private Bathroom and Mini-kitchenette $555

Shared Two-Bedroom Suite Private Bathrooms, Kitchen, Living Room $660

One-Bedroom Private Bathroom, Kitchen, Living Room $775

Jumbo one-bedroom Oversized family unit $805

Faculty House

Shared Two-Bedroom Suite Shared Bathrooms, Kitchen, Living Room $660

Shared Three-Bedroom Suite Shared Kitchen, Living Room

Shared Bathroom $660

Private Bathroom $700

Lyden House Apartments

Shared Two-Bedroom Suite, Shared Bathroom and Kitchen $635

If you and you're wife were accepted to the same school it is a no brainer, go there. As my advisor always says, it does not matter so much where you go for your phd but where you go for your post doc. Him and his wife both went to the same school for their PhDs and Harvard for post docs.

As others have said, San Francisco is beautiful but way too expensive for a family on a grad student stipend. Ann Arbor is also incredibly expensive and but a fun town.

If you and you're wife were accepted to the same school it is a no brainer, go there. As my advisor always says, it does not matter so much where you go for your phd but where you go for your post doc. Him and his wife both went to the same school for their PhDs and Harvard for post docs.

As others have said, San Francisco is beautiful but way too expensive for a family on a grad student stipend. Ann Arbor is also incredibly expensive and but a fun town.

I agree, it is a no brainer.  You both have been accepted, go to UW.  If you look at the forums and the results page, there is no guarantee your wife will be accepted to a program where you opt to start this year.  You will be the master of your own destiny, not the "prestige factor" of the school you attend.

• 1 month later...