Preparing for a Fellowship Interview

LittleDarlings

I have an interview for a Fellowship program next weekend and I am freaking out, like freaking out on a new level. This is major! I could have my tuition fully covered! 

I just want to know how to prepare myself. I have the professional outfit together, I have researched the program and the director and his specific studies.  What kinds of questions do they ask? I know this one is specifically leadership oriented.  In all honesty I do not have a lot of leadership experience, I am really unsure how they selected me! I have some just not as much as previous members.  How can I calm myself down and kick butt in this interview!? 

I have an interview for a Fellowship program next weekend and I am freaking out, like freaking out on a new level. This is major! I could have my tuition fully covered! 

I just want to know how to prepare myself. I have the professional outfit together, I have researched the program and the director and his specific studies.  What kinds of questions do they ask? I know this one is specifically leadership oriented.  In all honesty I do not have a lot of leadership experience, I am really unsure how they selected me! I have some just not as much as previous members.  How can I calm myself down and kick butt in this interview!? 

Do you have any examples of leadership at all?  For instance, in my Scientific Writing class, I became the unofficial leader for the 3 papers we had to write.  I was in charge of creating deadlines, assigning work, etc.  Were you the group leader on any projects? 

Another idea is to look at the qualities a leader typically has and talk about those qualities in yourself.  Are you organized?  Good at budgeting time? 

1.  Describe any research project or major endeavor on which you’ve worked. What was the purpose of the project and what was your role in the project?

2.  What do you think you will need to do to be successful in graduate school?

Those were the questions that I was asked. 

I had my fellowship interview February 7th. I was incredibly nervous, far more nervous than I've ever been. When I got there two of my three interviewers were late, I chatted with the one that made it on time - just small talk kind of things. When the other two finally showed up it was right down to business. They asked me the first question and seemed satisfied with my answer. Then onto the second question. Before I knew it my 10 minutes were up and I was being thanked for coming in. I sat there for a second a little shocked because it felt like my 10 minutes had flown by.

Advice - take a GIANT breath in and then a giant breath out. Be as calm as possible - I know it's easier said than done but the committee can smell fear. Don't appear over eager - that was the piece of advice given to me by the grad student services person at the university that sits on the committee.  Be yourself. I was professional but also let my personality come through. If they're interviewing you then you passed the first hurdle, just keep that in mind. And good luck! 

PS I did get nominated for fellowship I interviewed for so I'm not totally full of it. Although I haven't gotten the fellowship officially. But the department liked me but natural resources is really laid back - jeans and tshirt crowd. You may want to adjust your strategy if your department is not so laid back.