Psy.D or Ed.S program?

CagedBird

So, I have a dilemma. I've applied to two programs that are almost polar opposites of each other. I really like both of them, but they are so dissimilar that I'm having a hard time making a decision. 

The one program is an Ed.S degree in school psychology. The college is located in a suburban like setting and it's a pretty big campus. I've visited friends there before so I'm very comfortable on the campus (comfort and fit is a huge priority for me). The college is also closer to my hometown than the other college. The program itself isn't funded but almost all the students have GA positions that cover almost all or part of tuition, plus stipends. The program itself is 3 years, 2 full years of coursework and a 1 year internship. The program is nationally accredited, well known in the area, and has a 100% job placement rating after graduation. This college is also located in my state, and tuition overall would be significantly lower, as well as living costs. There are on-campus living arrangements that are available but there are also plenty of off-campus options.

The other program is a Psy.D degree in school psychology. This college is located in a big city and the campus itself is very small and found right in downtown. My only visit to the college is when I went to my interview. It's only a little further away from my hometown, about 20 minutes. This program also isn't funded and I've heard that GA's here are very competitive and I will most likely not have a chance to get one until my 2nd year. The program is 4 years, 3 full years of coursework and a 1 year internship. This program is currently going through review processes to be accredited (it's a young program), but they will most likely pass because the Ph.D. program has been accredited for a number of years. This college is not located in my state, but tuition costs would not be higher since it's a private institution. However, living close to a big city is costly, and there is very little to no on-campus living arrangements for grad students. 

The city college itself is a very prestigious university and I would have so many opportunities for practicum and internships in the area. The suburban college is between two major cities a distance away, so I would not have as many opportunities for diversity in my internships as much as the city college. Also, the city college is a doctorate degree, and I would have a wide range of options for employment upon graduation, with higher pay, than the Ed.S. degree. However, attending the suburban college would cost significantly less money and the program itself is overall a year shorter.

I'm at such a crossroads. What would you do? Does anyone have any way to go about deciding between the two? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you  :)

Woah, you are making this way too complicated! What are your career goals? This question should answer itself! Let's talk this out. :)

(BTW your post makes it seem as though there is an obvious choice, but I want to hear about your career goals, because that's the MOST important thing when choosing between these degree types!)

Woah, you are making this way too complicated! What are your career goals? This question should answer itself! Let's talk this out. :)

(BTW your post makes it seem as though there is an obvious choice, but I want to hear about your career goals, because that's the MOST important thing when choosing between these degree types!)

Lol it does seem like an obvious choice. However, the Psy.D would give me a wider range of opportunities. I'm not entirely sure I just want to work in schools my entire career, a job placement that would come about with just an Ed.S. degree. However, if I get a Psy.D., I could work in hospitals or even start my own private practice. I do not yet know if I would choose those routes, but I like to know that I have those open to me, especially a hospital setting.

I want to make sure that you know that setting up your own private practice would be an extra year of work after your PsyD, because you need post-doctoral hours. I also thought EdS could do their internships in hospitals. Is that not the case?

Ok, I didn't know about the extra year of post-doctoral hours for private practice. Thank you! And as far as I know, everywhere I've researched has said EdS is primarily for working in schools. Have you heard otherwise?

Honestly, I don't pay much attention to EdS requirements/expectations because I am applying for PhD. But I think it is something you should ask the EdS program you applied to!

Edited by iphi

iphi, doesn't the 1-year internship include the postdoctoral hours you need for licensure?  PsyD programs are usually a year shorter than regular clinical/counseling/school psych programs.

Personally, I would not pay for a PsyD at all.  If it's a private school, I'm assuming that the cost of attendance is probably around $60,000 per year.  $60,000 per year x 3 years = $180,000.  School psychologists, even in private practice, cannot expect to enough money to pay that back - especially if you have any debt from undergrad.  You know that you will at least have to pay for your first year ($60,000).  But it sounds like even in your 2nd year the GA positions are quite competitive and there's no guarantee that you'll get one.  I wouldn't want to take the risk of having to borrow for 2-3 years of school.

Yes, your options will be more limited with an Ed.S.  But you will also likely have little to no debt, if the chances of you getting a GA position are very high.  Even if they were not, the fact that this is a public school means that your tuition will be lower. Ed.S programs are primarily for school psychologists interested in working in schools; I don't think Ed.S school psychologists can have their own private practice.  However, you may be able to do private non-school counseling in the practice/under the supervision of a licensed school psychologist.  If that doesn't bother you (and "under the supervision" can mean many things; it depends on your working relationship with the psychologist in question), then you still may be able to do non-school-based work if you want.  You probably won't be employable in a hospital, though.

Honestly, if you already have a strong idea that you may want to begin your own practice or work in a hospital or service org, then I think you should reapply next year for funded PhD programs in school psych.  You could also get the Ed.S and decide later if you want to return for a PhD, after you have a few years of work experience and can judge whether you want to hang your own shingle.

iphi, doesn't the 1-year internship include the postdoctoral hours you need for licensure?  PsyD programs are usually a year shorter than regular clinical/counseling/school psych programs.

Personally, I would not pay for a PsyD at all.  If it's a private school, I'm assuming that the cost of attendance is probably around $60,000 per year.  $60,000 per year x 3 years = $180,000.  School psychologists, even in private practice, cannot expect to enough money to pay that back - especially if you have any debt from undergrad.  You know that you will at least have to pay for your first year ($60,000).  But it sounds like even in your 2nd year the GA positions are quite competitive and there's no guarantee that you'll get one.  I wouldn't want to take the risk of having to borrow for 2-3 years of school.

Yes, your options will be more limited with an Ed.S.  But you will also likely have little to no debt, if the chances of you getting a GA position are very high.  Even if they were not, the fact that this is a public school means that your tuition will be lower. Ed.S programs are primarily for school psychologists interested in working in schools; I don't think Ed.S school psychologists can have their own private practice.  However, you may be able to do private non-school counseling in the practice/under the supervision of a licensed school psychologist.  If that doesn't bother you (and "under the supervision" can mean many things; it depends on your working relationship with the psychologist in question), then you still may be able to do non-school-based work if you want.  You probably won't be employable in a hospital, though.

Honestly, if you already have a strong idea that you may want to begin your own practice or work in a hospital or service org, then I think you should reapply next year for funded PhD programs in school psych.  You could also get the Ed.S and decide later if you want to return for a PhD, after you have a few years of work experience and can judge whether you want to hang your own shingle.

Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning towards the Ed.S program, because I could also switch to the Ph.D. program in my second year there since they have one if I desire. Also, they told me all my credits would transfer if I chose to switch programs. I like that I have that choice.