What can I expect a Mechanical Engineering Master's thesis to require of me?

MSnoPhd

Hey everyone,

Recently admitted into my Top choice for a master's program in ME, and trying to figure out if I should go coursework only or thesis route. I already know a lot of the pros and cons so I'm really just trying to figure out what the thesis would require of me. 

I didn't do much research as an undergrad, and will be going into the master's program straight out of undergrad, so I am kind of clueless on what research is like. 

Would I have to come up with my own topic? Would one be suggested to me?

How long would the thesis have to be? Would it take me a long time to finish when I really will be doing legitimate research for the first time, creating a very long settlement and adjustment period? 

Are most master's students who get a faculty member to take them on to do a thesis with usually funded, or would I have to be exceptional to not only get a faculty adviser but also funding on top of that? 

I ask all of these questions because I would not only want to know what I am getting myself into, but I also don't want to waste the funds of someone willing to give me an opportunity if it turns out I actually wouldn't do a very good job of it.

Thank you for reading my thread and taking the time to give me any advice as well!

Hey everyone,

Recently admitted into my Top choice for a master's program in ME, and trying to figure out if I should go coursework only or thesis route. I already know a lot of the pros and cons so I'm really just trying to figure out what the thesis would require of me. 

I didn't do much research as an undergrad, and will be going into the master's program straight out of undergrad, so I am kind of clueless on what research is like. 

Would I have to come up with my own topic? Would one be suggested to me?

How long would the thesis have to be? Would it take me a long time to finish when I really will be doing legitimate research for the first time, creating a very long settlement and adjustment period? 

Are most master's students who get a faculty member to take them on to do a thesis with usually funded, or would I have to be exceptional to not only get a faculty adviser but also funding on top of that? 

I ask all of these questions because I would not only want to know what I am getting myself into, but I also don't want to waste the funds of someone willing to give me an opportunity if it turns out I actually wouldn't do a very good job of it.

Thank you for reading my thread and taking the time to give me any advice as well!

You would have to come up with your own topic but it can be an improvement to a previously published solution to a common mechanical issue. You can look at a thesis as a documentation of your idea that attempts to solve a "known" problem or limitation in the mechanical world. Since a thesis normally tackles a common issue, there should already be previously published papers on the topic. A thesis (the paper itself) usually has a "Review of Related Literature" section which means you are going to have to discuss previous papers that also try to solve the problem you are tackling. You are then going to discuss how you approach is different, easier, better, more reliable, or more cost-effective. Also, a thesis requires analysis of results, and of course, conclusion. The role of your supervisor is to approve your proposal of a research topic and to track your progress over the course of your studies. Your supervisor should also be able to help narrow down your options of a research topic .

How long do you have to take the thesis? Well, that depends on the progress that you make. I know some people who have finished all their classes but had to extend a full year to complete their thesis. A panel in the department (including your supervisor) determines the quality and completeness of your thesis and whether or not it qualifies you to earn the Master's degree. With regards to funding, this something that you normally declare during application - that is, if you want to be considered for financial assistance, you indicate this in your application form. However, most departments do offer some type of funding and automatically checks which of the applicants qualify - no separate application necessary.This is handled differently across departments/universities so you may have to read on the funding and scholarships section of the program you are trying to get into. You always need a supervisor for thesis-based programs but funding may or may not always be available.

Thesis-based programs normally prepare students for R&D jobs or PhD programs. Course-based programs on the other hand normally prepare students for actual industry jobs like manufacturing, product engineering, test development, design. This, however, is not a very rigid line. If you take the course-based option, you still have to do a special project, which in most cases is not as demanding as producing a full paper in the form of a thesis. 

One of the important things you have to consider, if you decide to go the thesis route, is to contact a potential supervisor. While some departments don't require you to choose a supervisor prior to applying, being in contact with someone is beneficial for the following reasons: 1) It helps increase your chances of admission - if you impress one professor and he decides to take you, it'll be his/her job to recommend your admission to the department; 2) You can get direct answers on questions about funding; 3) You can narrow down your research topic even before the start of the semester. 

These are just thoughts at the top of my head. Let me know if you have other questions. Oh, and good luck!  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about taking so long to get back to this, Scott. I've talked to a few people and your advice was by far the best I have gotten. 

I had already been accepted and knew which university I am attending at that time, so the only decision left to be made was going thesis route or coursework route, and you provided me a lot of info to help me consider that. 

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!