What to Do? MA vs. PhD

geographyrocks

I've applied to several PhD programs.  I've been accepted directly to the PhD program with funding at one school.  Now, however, I have recieved an email from a professor at my 2nd choice school that states they do not do direct admits to their PhD program, but several faculty members are interested in working with me in their MA program. 

I am still interested, but I also need to know if I would have to complete the full MA program or if I could be switched to the PhD track after successfully completing 2 semesters (or something to that nature) and also what funding would be available for MA students.  (I'm not going if it isn't fully funded!)

My problem is as follows:

I'm already accepted with funding so should I even bother with a MA when my goal is a PhD?

Do I say that I still want to be considered for a MA when I'm likely to decline?  aka Would asking to still be considered and then declining later make me look like a jerk?

If I do express interest, how do I delicately word the questions that I have about the program or can I just put them out there as is?

Why am I still interested if I have these concerns?  Well, it is a very prestigious school in a great city that generally places graduates in great jobs.  The other program I'm accepted to is just as great, but I'm not sure on their job placement after graduation. 

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

I can relate to your concerns a lot. A couple of my thoughts:

1. I have been emailing the programs that only accept me for masters and ask them about funding, and also previous students' success at internally reapplying for PhD at completion of the masters. Each program is different and there is no sense speculating about your chances or their policies when the department can tell you for themselves.

2. I did have the same concerns about asking to be considered for the masters even if you might be likely to decline. Don't feel bad about thinking that they would be insulted if you ask to be considered and then decline an offer anyway. You need to provide the most options for yourself, and the program is just trying to offer you a spot where they feel you are the best fit.

3. In terms of MA vs PhD and "why bother" with the MA, I think that's an individual thing. It depends on the program's answers to the first question, your financial situation, your goals, your fit with the program, etc. All you can do is gather all the information you can and choose the program that works best for you.

Edited by ginagirl

Thanks!  I wonder if I should email the graduate advisor or send my questions to the professor who sent me the email. 

Or maybe I should just reply with a yes, please consider me and then email the graduate advisor with my questions.

*sigh* This stuff is just too confusing! :huh:

I have been replying with those questions to the person that asked about redirecting my application, or also to the person who we would contact about accepting or declining an offer (in one case that was the DGS). I usually do my typical "I have a couple of questions- please let me know if there is someone else who could better answer these questions", and that sort of would cover your bases. But if you are in contact already with someone at the university, just email them.

I'm really confused how the PhD program doesn't do direct admits, how were you able to apply?  Honestly unless you can be guaranteed a fully funded MA and also a definite acceptance in the PhD program following either a few semesters or full completion then i would consider the second choice school that has given you option.  Otherwise I'd go with the PhD fully funded program that assures you A. the degree you want and B. without a cost to you.  I'm a little hesitant how a school can basically make you pay for an MA just to get into a funded program, seems like a program that isn't considering its students best interests to me.  I am not sure of the ranking or foundation that the PhD school allows you but you have to give credit to them to offer you the degree you want without questions.  don't be afraid to ask questions especially when I think you SHOULD investigate further as to that program and find out what it all really means.  

I totally agree with peachypie, and I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way.  I'm a bit suspicious of programs that say they don't direct admit anyone to their PhD programs in fields where direct admits are very common or predominant.  It feels like they're just trying to take your money or don't want to make a commitment to you, or both.

In any case, I think asking to be considered when you might decline is just like applying when you might decline.  Asking them to consider you doesn't obligate you to accept their offer - you have to see what they are offering you, what's on the table.  If you already KNOW that you'll decline, yeah, don't bother.  But if you're not sure and you'd like to see what they'd offer you before making the decision - that's just the nature of the game.

There's no delicate way to word your questions, and no need to word it delicately.  Just ask them directly.  "Is there funding available for MA students?  If so, what is it like?  And is it possible to transfer into the PhD track - with PhD-level funding - after 2 semesters rather than after the full program?"  Although I have to say that the chances of this happening are probably relatively slim.  If they don't do direct admits, they probably expect you to finish the full MA first.

Also, be sure that the transition from the MA into the PhD is a smooth one, and that you don't have to take any more classes.  For example, my department offers two doctoral level degrees.  One (the DrPH) requires a master's degree before entry.  Sometimes students come here and they earn the MPH, which is the required master's, and then they apply for the DrPH program here as well.  But even if they completed their MPH here, they still have to take more classes - 30 credits, to be exact, which is a year's worth.  To me it's an unnecessary amount of classes especially if they've already required the master's before entry, especially since the requirements are exactly the same; I have a friend who did this, and she ended up taking like nearly every class offered in our department and a few outside just to make up the arbitrary 30 credits.

So make sure that even if they do guarantee you entry from the MA program straight to the PhD, that you don't have to tak any more classes and will progress directly to the exams phase.  Otherwise it's not even worth it and it just unnecessarily lengthens your time to degree.

Reply to the person who asked you the question, and then ask the graduate advisor your specific questions about the program and funding.  In my experience, individual professors don't always know fine details about funding or program requirements.

To be fair to the program, it's not a scam.  My particular field seems to be divided in half on how they admit students.  Some programs admit directly to the PhD program and others don't.  I think it has to do with the interdisciplinary aspect of Geography.  It can be a social science or a physical science.  There's no guarantee that you've completed the required prereqs for programs.

So make sure that even if they do guarantee you entry from the MA program straight to the PhD, that you don't have to tak any more classes and will progress directly to the exams phase.  Otherwise it's not even worth it and it just unnecessarily lengthens your time to degree.

Reply to the person who asked you the question, and then ask the graduate advisor your specific questions about the program and funding.  In my experience, individual professors don't always know fine details about funding or program requirements.

As for the guaranteed entry and additional classes, that is something I will DEFINITELY ask about.  I didn't even think about that. 

I responded to the professor who emailed me.  I'm going to wait until they actually make an offer before I ask all of my questions.  Wouldn't it be funny if they came back with a no after all of this?  Funny in a sad way... :lol::angry::huh:  lol