Medievalists, assemble!

This Fall during the madness of all the application stuff, I realized that the 2012 Exemplaria symposium had video archives (http://www.utexas.edu/cola/depts/english/exemplaria/Live-Stream.php) of the different papers and q&a's for the different panels they held. Just stellar stuff - Carolyn Dinshaw, Karma Lochrie, Jeffrey Cohen, Sara Poor, Patricia Claire Ingham, Geraldine Heng, Louise Aranye Fradenburg - Evans gave an essay as part of the panel on gender and chaired the final panel. Very, very cool. I hope another of those conferences happens soon!  

Ooh, this is fabulous. Thank you for sharing!

Cloudofunknowing, I had a course with Scala as an undergrad a long time ago--she was good. Heng came after my time there. Kaulbach, though, in addition to being a real character, is THE GUY at UT-Austin for medieval English, Latin, and a fair amount of other, and for the philosophical and historical context of anything written in the middle ages--even things that you wouldn't expect to be in his area of expertise (he helped me out with medieval slavic stuff). I don't know how much he publishes, but if you want to know anything philosophical, historical, or especially philological about a medieval text, Kaulbach will be the person to help you the most.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Kzoo stuff is filling my twitter feed and I am really bumming about the fact that I'm not there, even more than I expected.  I haven't properly nerded out in so long...

I was hoping to do it this year, but it didn't work out.  But next year--it's happening.  I hope some of you are there, and having a marvelous time.

(...pretty sure this is the only place I can go mope about being absent from a conference where I won't get a bunch of raised eyebrows).

I suppose this is as good a time as any to introduce myself, though I'm afraid it's by way of commiserating with you! No Zoo for me this year, though I'll probably go every year for the next 5 at least, due to being approx 2700 miles closer now that I'm starting a phd program. Hope to see you there! For this year I'm having my friends give me the deets in detailed report form...

I suppose this is as good a time as any to introduce myself, though I'm afraid it's by way of commiserating with you! No Zoo for me this year, though I'll probably go every year for the next 5 at least, due to being approx 2700 miles closer now that I'm starting a phd program. Hope to see you there! For this year I'm having my friends give me the deets in detailed report form...

Welcome. :)  We're always thrilled to have another on board.

I'm the same way--I plan to go with my program from now on.  Right now I'm stalking it on twitter, but it's just not the same.  But I don't know anyone there, except maybe some GC people.  So it's wistful watching until I can attended with an accompanying hoard. :)

What program will you be attending?

Kzoo stuff is filling my twitter feed and I am really bumming about the fact that I'm not there, even more than I expected.  I haven't properly nerded out in so long...

I was hoping to do it this year, but it didn't work out.  But next year--it's happening.  I hope some of you are there, and having a marvelous time.

(...pretty sure this is the only place I can go mope about being absent from a conference where I won't get a bunch of raised eyebrows).

I had to miss Kzoo this year too! This is the second year in a row that I couldn't quite make it happen. There's always next year... and all the great reaction and summary posts that are starting to crop up. :D

• 1 month later...

So, to bump this thread a bit, I just read Cohen's intro over at In the Middle for a panel on ice that he's moderating at the New Chaucer Society conference -- in Reykjavik, of all places -- and, suddenly, I very much wish I were hopping on a plane, too! (http://www.inthemedievalmiddle.com/)

So, to bump this thread a bit, I just read Cohen's intro over at In the Middle for a panel on ice that he's moderating at the New Chaucer Society conference -- in Reykjavik, of all places -- and, suddenly, I very much wish I were hopping on a plane, too! (http://www.inthemedievalmiddle.com/)

And just because it's not linked in his latest post on the topic, here are the abstracts:

http://www.inthemedievalmiddle.com/2014/06/ice-at-ncs14.html

So, to bump this thread a bit, I just read Cohen's intro over at In the Middle for a panel on ice that he's moderating at the New Chaucer Society conference -- in Reykjavik, of all places -- and, suddenly, I very much wish I were hopping on a plane, too! (http://www.inthemedievalmiddle.com/)

Hey!

If you're looking for something a little closer, JJC will be at the Knowing Nature conference at University of Maryland in October. He's one of the keynote speakers. :D I'll be there too giving a paper on barnacle geese.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, everyone!

I've just graduated SUNY Geneseo with a Bachelor's in English, and in September I'm heading to the University of Rochester for my M.A. You have no idea how encouraging it was to see everyone else as excited as I am about U of R! 

My academic interests include medieval British literature (particularly Arthurian lays and romances from the 12th to the 15th centuries), fairy tales, and intersectionality (the study of race, class, gender, ability, and sexuality as all key components of a person's social position). It is difficult trying to explain how it all goes together sometimes, but in short I like to study how we tell certain stories as a way to communicate cultural values and how that shifts over time. I'm interested in how fairy tales evolve and adapt as a subversive genre. I plan to continue researching the connections between Arthurian material and literary fairy tales because they have many similar roots and motifs. I also like to look at more recent fairy tale retellings to see how they are currently supporting or subverting our modern cultural ideas. For this reason I have an academic interest in Disney and the role it plays in the evolution of the fairy tale genre. I know that U of R will be an awesome place to delve into these subjects more and I'm really looking forward to it!

Nice to meet you all. :)

Hello, everyone!

I've just graduated SUNY Geneseo with a Bachelor's in English, and in September I'm heading to the University of Rochester for my M.A. You have no idea how encouraging it was to see everyone else as excited as I am about U of R! 

My academic interests include medieval British literature (particularly Arthurian lays and romances from the 12th to the 15th centuries), fairy tales, and intersectionality (the study of race, class, gender, ability, and sexuality as all key components of a person's social position). It is difficult trying to explain how it all goes together sometimes, but in short I like to study how we tell certain stories as a way to communicate cultural values and how that shifts over time. I'm interested in how fairy tales evolve and adapt as a subversive genre. I plan to continue researching the connections between Arthurian material and literary fairy tales because they have many similar roots and motifs. I also like to look at more recent fairy tale retellings to see how they are currently supporting or subverting our modern cultural ideas. For this reason I have an academic interest in Disney and the role it plays in the evolution of the fairy tale genre. I know that U of R will be an awesome place to delve into these subjects more and I'm really looking forward to it!

Nice to meet you all. :)

Hi Slawson!

I'm not a medievalist (Renaissance guy here), but I work/hang out with that crowd at Rochester a LOT (I'm on staff at Robbins).  From the sounds of things, you should have a GREAT experience at U of R (Alan Lupack does all things Arthur, and Russell Peck is always talking about fairy tales).  Please let me know if you have any questions!