Urbana-Champaign

• 2 weeks later...

So I haven't heard anything from UIUC one way or the other yet. I emailed Ms. Shockey a week ago to see if there was any movement on a decision, but I haven't gotten a response. Since visiting weekend is coming up, I'm going to guess it's a no, but a definitive answer would be nice. :/

Anyone else in the same position?

So I haven't heard anything from UIUC one way or the other yet. I emailed Ms. Shockey a week ago to see if there was any movement on a decision, but I haven't gotten a response. Since visiting weekend is coming up, I'm going to guess it's a no, but a definitive answer would be nice. :/

Anyone else in the same position?

Yes, and I've written it off as a rejection that they can't be bothered to acknowledge yet. Clearly it's their usual M.O. (based on the results history). I think it's pretty inconsiderate; surely they have a number of definite rejections, and it takes about a minute and a half to send a mass email. 

That answers that question. Just got my rejection in the mail yesterday. Sorry I won't be joining you guys! I may pick your brains a year from now if I apply again, though. :)

That answers that question. Just got my rejection in the mail yesterday. Sorry I won't be joining you guys! I may pick your brains a year from now if I apply again, though. :)

Hmmm. I am closer geographically but didn't receive anything yesterday (or at all, so far). Has your application status changed on the website?

Good luck with your other programs!

• 1 month later...

For those of you who were accepted to Urbana-Champaign, do you perhaps have any advice on the application process for this particular graduate school? Were you guys granted acceptance with simply a B.A. or did you also have a Masters? I'm applying for the Ph.D. in Literature, but I will only have a B.A. after graduation next May. Are they typically in the routine of only accepting those with Masters for the Ph.D. program? Also, do you guys have any advice on the SoP and GRE scores? I'm just a little worried about the application process, as are many others. I've fallen in love with this university, and I just was looking any advice for making my application among the best for this university. 

If you feel more comfortable contacting through PM, I'm perfectly fine with that.

TeaOverCoffee, I was accepted two years ago, and I'm happy to share my materials with you over PM. I was surprised by the short SoP length and the two writing sample requirement. And yes, they do accept MA/PhD students; in fact, I think they explain their preference of applicants with just a BA over an MA on their website (although I have an MA and was accepted).