Anyone heard back from UW yet?

Emarouk

Have any of you heard about aid/funding??? I wrote as ask about it and received an email saying that it is loans only for out of state students. There are independent scholarships that I will apply for for text term, but this still seems odd. Other out of state schools offered me grants. Could this be a mistake? Financial aid/funding at a graduate level isn't something that I am at all familiar with. Can anybody point me towards some information?

That is something I have never heard of. You might want to give them a call. However, I do believe each school has the ability to allocate funding however they wish. So while schools will give out of state students funding, UW might have a different policy. Your best bet is to get in contact with someone in financial aid.

That is something I have never heard of. You might want to give them a call. However, I do believe each school has the ability to allocate funding however they wish. So while schools will give out of state students funding, UW might have a different policy. Your best bet is to get in contact with someone in financial aid.

Thanks! They had actually sent me the wrong email. I am still waiting to hear what my financial aid package will be. Has anyone heard about theirs yet?

Hi!

I've been accepted to UW as well, and received my financial aid package a few weeks ago. I'm an out-of-state student, and they didn't give me any scholarships. However, they did give me all federal student loans with good interest rate terms. Apparently, you can apply for their tuition fellowships, but the deadline was in late February. I didn't think I'd get into UW, so I didn't bother applying, but I do plan on applying next year. Here's a link to UW's MSW scholarships: http://socialwork.uw.edu/admissions/scholarships/master-of-social-work-msw. 

If you do have to take out a significant amount of federal student loans like me, don't fret. There are a few loan forgiveness programs to consider. One such program is The NHSC Loan Repayment Program. In exchange for serving two years at an approved site, they'll forgive up to $50,000 of your federal student loans. It's a great way to not only gain experience working with diverse clinical populations, but to also get out of student loan debt fast! If you also qualify for the federal government's pay-as-you-earn repayment plan upon graduating, you can have up to half of your student loan amount forgiven. The only downside is that you're required to pay federal income tax on the amount that is forgiven. Here's a student loan repayment calculator: https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/mobile/repayment/repaymentEstimator.action

My only advice is to stay far away from private student loans - they'll screw you over big time! And if you end up with a low-paying job, they're liable not to reduce your monthly payments or offer deferments like federal student loans.